Number of passenger trains in the United States vs. Europe

It´s Robel Gleiskraftwagen. I think there is a HO gauge kit around from KIBRI. it is also known as Bullok. This comes from Bull and Locomotive. Here some more pics.

5 Likes

Rivarossi, spring 2024 …

3 Likes

We also have some exciting railway cranes over here.

4 Likes

Reminds me of this set I took over from my brother

2 Likes

Ah yes, the classic Fleischmann Schienenkran. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Fascinating pictures guys! We have very similar roadway maintenance equipment as we call them on the LIRR:

2 Likes

Back in my “B&W Phase” I took a lot of photos in the DDR. Not so much to document things as to try to create the mood.I should have known better - by this time I had read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance at least three times. A small picture frame (like the windshield of a car) can neve truly capture the somber mood of the place.

Of course taking photos of any anyone in uniform then was Streng Verboten, but then, so was taking photos of anything that had military value, like rail lines:

I’ve got more scattered about. Every time I try to run down a photo for someone my “filing system:” gets worse. Too bad film cost so much back then. You really had to try and make each shot count.

I often carried two Minolta SLRs, one with color film - the Maxxum 7000. That was just for showing places and things. Not always as much fun - you couldn’t add color filters like you could with B&W.

This was just some repair facility outside of Berlin:

And this was one of many taken inside Moscow’s vast subway system. Some where I have one of a station built from granite taken from the Reichstag:

An old crane in Hudson, New York. There really is no rhyme or reason as to how my photos are bundled together any more.

Of course these days I can rattle off as many photos as I like, and toss the bad ones out. Sometimes several hundred per session.

3 Likes

:Ah, der graue DDR Alltag. “Du hast den Farbfilm vergessen mein Robert”. From Nina Hagen song.:slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s a strange day in Berlin!
There is no laughter here at all
There’s something holding you and me from
Seeing the starlight on the wall.

Sally Oldfield

An average day on a German railroad track with my favorite cargo, military vehicles!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wFjv3yINCM

3 Likes

5 Likes

My place-to-be next weekend.
https://www.bayerisches-eisenbahnmuseum.de/index.php?option=com_easyblog&view=categories&layout=listings&id=5&lang=en&Itemid=261
4-day mega show with steamengines in motion.

3 Likes

Thanks for stirring up old memories guys!
So many great little trains to ride throughout Europe! Take you to some off beat villages, rides thru the Swiss Alps to The Blue Line along the Rivera and the Med shore line.
Taking all the narrow gage steam trains through the Harz the Spring after the Wall fell. How the Russians trashed Mt Brocken.
The FART train thru Italian Switzerland into Italy. Great old stone buildings there.
Maybe it’s time to dust off the old passport and ride the rails!

5 Likes

H.P.

3 Likes

Next weekend!?!? I MUST get my passport renewed ASAP. Four days at Bayerisches Eisenbahnmuseum?

Definitely!!

Men, awesome photos!! Thank you all.

From my Rhine & Mosel cruise, 2008.

First, in my ancestral valley, the Bernkastel Mosel Bahnhof station, now a Gasthaus.
Bernkastel, DE (1)
Bernkastel, DE (2)
Bernkastel, DE (3)

Another Bahnhof in Bernkastel:
Bernkastel, DE (4)
Bernkastel, DE (5)
Bernkastel, DE (6)

Speyer:

Nothing railroad but I love this roof!

I have a few more taken from the river if you would like to see them.

3 Likes

@bravo18, a few from down your way.

Texas & Pacific, El Paso, TX

ATSF, Hereford, TX

El Paso Southwestern, El Paso (no good vantage points for shooting it)

4 Likes

I take Amtrak from Michigan to Chicago to visit my son and his family 4 or 5 times a year. I can’t drive to Chicago and back for the price of the round trip train tickets (if bought in advance) plus no tailgaters, F heads realizing they are at their exit when they are in the far left lane and cut in front of me and others, no road construction delays etc, Also the potty stop is 20 feet away and they have decent coffee in the dining car.

1 Like