Oddities of the German Language

Raketengetrieben glockenspiel?

3 Likes

That came through loud and clear! Can I use it? … I know, there’s that “nominal fee per syllable” thing… blah, blah, blah… :rofl:

—mike

4 Likes

Talk to my Geschӓftsfϋhrer, my cut’s normally 50% but seeing as it’s you, maybe we can hash out a besondere Geschäftsordnung :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Gesundheit to you both…

7 Likes

I thought with German you paid by the word, which explains all those compounds that smash a whole sentence together!

2 Likes

German and Swedish treat individual words as building blocks to build larger words.
Fits right in with scratch building
:grin: :wink:

and the mythical steam ship captains on the Donau

4 Likes

The same with Dutch: wereas the English tend to put a space betreen each noun, we don’t but simply add each noun as needed:
-aansprakelijkheidswaardevaststellingsveranderingen

2 Likes

I guess all doing have spelling bee’s in school or local wheel of fortune as that would be different. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

3 Likes

How long would a spelling bee in German last? I could see it taking longer than a cricket test-match!

3 Likes

Wee-ell
German spelling is bound by rules so the sound actually tells you how it should be spelled.
No faffing around with the fine differences between “know” and “no”, Worcestershire is a trap
designed to catch Johnny Foreigner, Leicester doesn’t sound the way it is written.
Gaol and jail sound the same and mean the same but are spelled diffferently.

It is definitely time that the English language went through a spelling reform,
some suggestions here:

4 Likes

I think I’ve read that before, it’s how most Germans are made to sound in movies. The absolute best stereotyping of languages ever is in the genius “Allo Allo” no one is safe.

3 Likes

German spelling…spells like it sounds and sounds like it looks…

Hauskatze

2 Likes

Raubkatze

Same psyche, different packaging size …

A ‘Laufkatze’ is something quite different though

2 Likes

In American speak, that version of cat is supersized!

2 Likes

There is Swedish joke about the differences between German and Swedish.
Butterfly is ‘fjäril’ in Swedish, a rather soft and fluffy word,
in German it is ‘Schmetterling’ which sounds like the name of a machine pistol,
barked at recruits by an angry German corporal …

The French say ‘papillon’.

5 Likes

Never forget the Aussie tourist in England looking for the town of LugaBaruga - that’s spelled Loughborough to the natives, pronounced “Luff-boro”!

5 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

There is also the southern US state R-can-saw

I’ll knock it off with the language stuff now and let the
scratchbuilding and conversions come back

1 Like

Schadenfreude is still my favorite German word.

7 Likes

I vaguely remember on my Army-issue German language course that the equivalent for “Single Shot Kill Probability” (SSKP) was pretty punishing(!) and “No” I can’t remember it - to my shame.