This is an Italian license built variant of the Krupp 150mm Morser M1881. In 1881 it was a good, modern weapon. By the time that WW1 rolled around, it was thoroughly obsolete. It lacked a recoil system and had to be re-laid between shots. However, the Italians desperately needed artillery; so, they were pressed into service.
The kit from Vargas Scale Models is a little jewel. The resin 3-D printed parts are delicate and highly detailed. The kit includes the ammunition and implements associated with the weapon.
I assembled it out of the box and primed with Mr Surfacer 1000.
I decided to finish this as it would have appeared in WW1 - very worn; but well maintained. The hairspray technique was used to give it that worn look. I gouged up the wooden platform to give it a very used appearance. I used the excellent LifeColor Rust and Dust set for the platform metal metal work and an uneven coat of Tamiya XF-78 Wooden Deck Tan for the wooden parts. I gave the wooden portion a sloppy coat of Winsor & Newton oils and wiped up the excess until it looked like old wood.
After a coat of hairspray, I gave everything a light coat of Tamiya XF65 Field Gray. Much of this was peeled/chipped off with a flat brush and water.
After drying, I sealed it with Model Master Sealer for Metalizer. After hairspraying again, I gave it a light coat of Life Color UA 213 Grigio Verde Chiaro. Most of this was again peeled off with a damp flat brush to reveal the underlying colors.
Weathering was accomplished with W&N oils and with AK enamel weathering products. After sealing with Model Master Clear Flat, I hit the wear areas with a 6B pencil and Ushi Chrome pigment.
As the kit came with a good selection of ammo and implements, I decided to display it on a simple firing platform.
This was a quick build and I learned some new techniques in the finishing and weathering. I’m really pleased with how it came together to portray this fine old piece.