Old School Shadow Painting & Finishing - Primer

200w

I like to spray at roughly a 45 degree angle. It helps avoid paint build up in corners etc. Ideally we don’t want to blast directly into a tight corner etc.

Roughly like this.

Now I image several folks might be saying to themselves, “what the hell is he thinking the white/ off white layer for contrast hasn’t been applied yet”. We won’t be doing that. We’ll address the highlights in a more primitive fashion - by directly spraying later.

@Armorsmith did an outstanding thread demonstrating Preshading and Post Shading that discussed it very nicely. T55 Engine Rebuild - Finishing

Hopefully, DV will expand on Preshading and Post Shading in more detail.

I usually start on the bottom of the hull to makes sure everything is in tune and to get the MOJO fired up. That was drybrushed on the KV-1 so we’ll start at the rear.

Spraying random dots and overlapping, leaving some black in corners and edges.

The Shiney dot below…will level and blend

I like to work in small areas, say a section of a fender at a time. Switching back and forth left to right. It helps randomize the dot patterns. Otherwise, it’s too easy for me to lay down rows of dots that can end up looking like a :corn: corn field.

Moving to turret

Return to hull and randomly spot & Dot

Then return to turret and spot and dot

Note we have a good bit of paint left over from our 2cc’s we started with for the RFM T-34-85.

That’s part of why I find Floquil a joy to spray.

8 Likes