Opel Blitz Fire Truck - Italeri 1:24 Scale

As part of my “2023 War on WIP” I want to revisit this kit that I started back in early May 2010. Yes folks, it’s pushing 13 years on the shelf of doom :grin:

First sub assemblies work

My initial plan was to build this as a captured vehicle during WWII overpainted in US Olive Drab.


I can’t recall why it was shelved back then. A few years later I dragged it out with a plan to change it to a rusted derelict just waiting for a restorer to discover it. To that end I painted over the OD with Red-Brown to serve as a rust base and then built up the cabin and shot it with hairspray ready to start the weathering process.




After that I shot the cabin with Italian Red and Chassis Black (SMS lacquers) and once again it got shelved (early 2019) for some reason.




After building the Italeri Fire Jeep last year as a restored display vehicle, I’m thinking now that I will go down the same path with this kit and keep it nice and clean. The pair will make a very nice display together.

Cheers, D

7 Likes

Why not make it a trio:

Cheers,

M

2 Likes

I have picked up this kit in the LHS several times with serious consideration to take it home. I have seen some great builds of the ICM Model T kits and it gets really good reviews.

Seriously tempted.

Cheers, D

2 Likes

Ok, a quick inventory and everything is present and accounted for. Here’s what I’ve done previously.

Time to start playing!

Cheers, D

5 Likes

Coming along nice. I have a similar kit and I thinks it’s been sitting in my collection for almost 13 years. :grin:

1 Like

I managed a bit of tinkering on this build while my P-47 dual build was at a resting stage with the decals.

There were a couple of paint spots on the nose that I wasn’t happy with, so they got the wet sand treatment to prep for repriming.

The rear fenders have a custom bracket that also provides a mount for some hose connectors, and they have a very soft alignment with no positive locating points. It took me a while and some adjustments to get them sitting right, they are now cemented in place after scraping off some primer.


Cheers, D

5 Likes

Awesome detail all around and LOVE those seats.

1 Like

Absolutely no locating points or marks for the rear fenders, so I lined them up as best I could and measured up the bracket locations on the chassis rails. Ceramic scraper was used to remove some of the Stynylrez Primer then the brackets cemented in place.

Improvisation is key, a little plastic cap inverted was used to set the fender level.

Cheers, D

5 Likes

And the “B-side”

Cheers, D

6 Likes

Threw a bit of paint on today to see how it will look. Satisfying.

Cheers, D

4 Likes