Operation "Epsom" details

Roger that!

1 Like

Top class sculpting on that fig Jerry- the added equipment looks very natural and has that ‘just right’ sit to it that you always manage. Have to say I like the flesh painting too- the hands in particular look incredible for 1/35 and the face is full of character.

1 Like

Thanks Karl, as you know I am always happy to read your comments and this time is no exception. Glad you liked this one.
J

1 Like

The ‘stashe, tho. Noice.

2 Likes

I have to agree, great stache, Jerry!

1 Like

Thanks man. You know I love when you guys go black and white on me !
J

Thanks Ski,glad you liked it man.
J

Stache man in action.

6 Likes

Nice figure Jerry, a bit out of the ordinary. My wife’s great uncle was killed on D+1. He was in the 5th Berkshires, a long service pre-war regular. He was 34 (quite old for a front line infantryman) and never got to see his daughter. At the time of his death he was a CSM (Company Serjeant Major - WOII). The Colour Serjeant rank at the time was usually a CQMS (Company Quartermaster Serjeant) in an infantry regiment. This was quite an important rank, because although as the title suggests, the quartermaster’s duties were mainly concerned with kit issue etc, he was being “groomed for stardom”, the next step being WOII and then on to RSM. Of course, in action, it was “all hands to the pump”, so he could well find himself in a trench with a rifle or Sten or manning an anti-tank gun.

1 Like

Very good info there. Thanks for all of that. That was indeed my quandary as I wanted to show an “older” guy and that would probably mean someone of long service and higher rank. I usually do not show officers because in my experience they were not around that much.
J

1 Like

Slightly off topic, but speaking of officers not being around. My father-in-law’s cousin married an ex-RAF bomber pilot called Bob who wrote a book, published privately (“vanity press”) about his experiences flying Wellingtons in the Middle East during WW2. He visited a Blenheim squadron on Malta several times; each time it was commanded by the same sergeant. Between his visits, the squadron officers were replaced, but by the time he returned they had all been shot down and the sergeant was in charge again! I’ve always thought it’s the NCO’s that actually run things. The officers are just icing on the cake!
Between the wars, the British Army recognised that there was a potential shortage of officers, so in the 1930’s they came up with the rank of Platoon Serjeant Major, or WOIII. The idea was that deserving serjeants who showed genuine leadership potential could be promoted to this rank, so they could replace missing officers as platoon leaders. The rank was only used in the Infantry of the Line (not the Guards) and as the war progressed it fell into abeyance. However soldiers who held the rank continued to wear the insignia, a crown on the forearm (now the insignia of WOII). Thus for a while WOII (CSM) wore a crown in a wreath (now used by RQMS) and RSM the Royal Cypher as usual. Naturally PSMs could be promoted out of the rank in the usual way, but were not replaced.

2 Likes

Better run it by the Sergeant Major first….

But that seriously is a great mustache. :wink:

4 Likes

So very true in mine as well :wink:
Eagerly waiting your next installment here. The NCOs better get on the job here. :guardsman:t3:

2 Likes

OK Stikpusher,here ya go.
This is the crew my sergeant is in charge of at the moment.

15 Likes

Oh yes! The AT gunners ready to do some business. Beautiful!

1 Like

Glad you liked in man !
J

That gun crew is really well done, Jerry!

Keep up the great work!

Thanks Sean,glad you liked it buddy.
I will give it a go.
J

1 Like

The Sgt Major is amazing Jerry, the moustache and hair really give him a dishevelled look, brilliant, :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:.

G, :beer:

Lookin great, Jerry!