Operation Queen 1/35

Because I’m new here and could use some feedback, I’m posting here a few photos of my diorama that I’ve been working on in recent months. It takes place at the beginning of the battle for the Hurtgen forest. There are still a lot of details. These need to be done such as "placing figures, adding long grass, painting and adding fallen leaves, etc. Positive or negative comments are appreciated!

23 Likes

Hey Francois that looks really excellent!

2 Likes

I would love to see some more pictures of the vehicles, if you don’t mind. The diorama is superb! I especially like the leaves, they add a very nice touch. I would definitely add some to the vehicles, it would help to tie it into the dio.

2 Likes

Looks very good! Just a tiny inaccuracy you might want to correct: The jerry cans in the Jeep have German style spouts. These were not mounted centrally (as on their US counterparts) but offset to the left, as seen when pouring.

4 Likes

Hello!Here are some pictures of the two vehicles I used!

6 Likes

8 Likes

10 Likes

:face_with_peeking_eye: Thanks for the advice!I only see it now, it will be difficult to replace it. Maybe I can put a piece of cloth over it? :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for the extra pictures, those are really nice! The only thing I’d add is some dirt/dust on the floor of the Jeep. That and some leaves in the Jeep and in the inside of the M8. Other than that your models are great! I look forward to seeing how this turns out and more of your work on the forums.

Edit: you may have dust in the Jeep already but I can’t really tell.

3 Likes

I know you are not finished, but you will need to tie down the stowed Jerry cans, as they would just rattle off.
(also the spouts on this type of cans were offset to the right, when looked at from the front)
One thing always jarrs with the Tamiya M5’s & M8 GMC is that the track end connectors don’t err connect the individual track pads together. Judicious use of mud may disguise this, or replace the track

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! Mud still needs to be applied and shaped once the tank is in place. As for the jerry cans? :thinking:I still have to find something about that.

2 Likes

Some mud has already been applied to the floor of the jeep. Perhaps it is not clearly visible in the photo or perhaps not enough has been applied? I think I will apply a little more.Indeed, the leaves still need to be applied. As well as leaves in the river bed where I still need to apply the water!

2 Likes

This Pic of a Jimmy load shows the two types of can.
the ‘plain cross’ type has the screw top (with 4 tabs at right angles), is placed centrally, & the WD marked cans the clip spouts are offset.

2 Likes

I see what you mean. I probably still have the correct screws somewhere in my spare box. I will try to install them, this should normally not be a problem :+1:

1 Like

Very nicely done & smart positioning of the elements on the base. Mindful it’s a work in progress I have a couple of suggestions – either multiple tank/jeep tracks on the roadway (& bridge maybe?), or alternatively a narrative that these guys are lost (e.g. because those road-signs had been thrown in the river by the enemy & a couple still visible?), if so just the jeep’s tracks. I’m not really sure if the M8 adds much other than to crowd the base. Also, nearly every guy smoked. Whatever, it’s an impressive scene already :+1:

3 Likes

Hello!
First of all, thanks for the feedback! As for the road signs, I think that’s a good idea, maybe I’ll dump them in the water under the bridge so that they might still be visible a little bit. The water under the bridge still needs to be added. There will be two more figures, one of which is already smoking a cigarette! Thanks for the tips! :wink:

4 Likes

There is so much that you have read about to add realism, such as road signs, but that you do not think about while you are building your diorama. That is why tips from other fellow builders are always useful to give your diorama that little bit extra.

4 Likes

So true, I’ve certainly benefited from others’ perspectives, I think/hope most of us have – it’s kinda why we’re all here. That said I’d estimate probably only about a quarter of ideas from the peanut gallery actually get taken on board generally, but that’s OK & all good – it’s easy to get tunnel vision about one’s own project, I think it’s enough that we’re reminded that what we see/think ain’t necessarily how our audience sees it. And because we have elected to put our work in front of an audience, their opinions are at least as valid as one’s own. There was a very recent contributor to the Diorama forum – a very accomplished one now apparently gone - who didn’t seem to get that.

Anyhow enough with the philosophising, this is your show & I’m applauding :clap: :clap:

4 Likes

[quote=“Dioramartin, post:18, topic:36515, full:true”]
So true, I’ve certainly benefited from others’ perspectives, I think/hope most of us have – it’s kinda why we’re all here. That said I’d estimate probably only about a quarter of ideas from the peanut gallery actually get taken on board generally, but that’s OK & all good – it’s easy to get tunnel vision about one’s own project, I think it’s enough that we’re reminded that what we see/think ain’t necessarily how our audience sees it. And because we have elected to put our work in front of an audience, their opinions are at least as valid as one’s own. There was a very recent contributor to the Diorama forum – a

Completely true. I can appreciate a bit of constructive criticism, it makes us all a little better at the hobby we like to do. Hystorically speaking, I don’t think it should be 100 percent correct either. As long as we enjoy our hobby and help each other a little!

5 Likes

Today I have already made some improvements, such as adding some fallen leaves to the vehicles; I also added some more mud to the jeep. I removed the road signs and placed them in the river. Now I am preparing to adding water to the river.Fingers crossed because this is my first time working with water

8 Likes