Panzer iv J question

OK so no sleep but I did figure out some solutions.
The big issue was seeing what is inside.
The 3 images show what I now have.
The interior with the hull top off. Good!
The hull fitted, not glued, without the turret. Good. But there’s a but. But I have given up trying to get it to sit tight down on the hull. No matter what I sand or cut it still springs up a wee bit. But I’m done with it for now. Maybe I’ll have another go later on.
The turret in place.

I’ve started to weather it. Hence the turret looks way to clean!!

I’ve made one big boo boo. See if anyone can spot it.

I’ll weather it all before putting the mesh schurzen on.

That J is looking very nice. I like your interior. That’s not something I have patience to do.

The right side/radio operator track is reversed from the normal orientation.

I won’t say that is necessarily a mistake as that was occasionally done at the factory. with both tracks. Several Pz IV’s manufacturered by VoMag have been noted with both tracks “reversed”.

I would want both tracks in the same orientation.

Darn. Got it one go. Yes I had the tracks on and then said double darn it. But at least I made the mistake on both sides.

bruce

Bruce, with both being the same, I wouldn’t view as a mistake on a Pz IV. VOMAG one of the manufacturers did it on the production line sometimes.

BtW - There are many pictures floating around of Pz IV’s with tracks reversed. Here’s one from a survivor. There are wartime examples too.

Here’s another survivor with the tracks oriented in the standard way.

Note in both cases tracks reversed or tracks in standard position, the cotter pins are facing outside for easy access and the bolt head faces into the hull.

Thanks I feel much better now.

bruce

Dang it. I’ve hit another oops. After all the work I did trying to get the hull to open up to reveal the interior I come across another hiccup. Putting the brackets on for the schuzen I find that 2 of the brackets are attached to both the upper and lower halves of the hull.

Back to the drawing board.

bruce

How did you weather the road wheel rubber?

Khouli for the road wheel rubber I primed with Ammo One Shot. Then brushed on artist black acrylic. Then I brushed on makeup. Yup women’s makeup. I use it a lot. You can get it in many colours. It also sticks well. It will take some handling but not much. I’ve never sprayed over it but my guess is it darken somewhat. You need to apply it lightly and build up the layers or you can over do it. It’s great for all sorts of dusty affects.

bruce

Installing the schuzen will make lifting the top of the hull off. Not sure I like it as much with schuzen.

1 Like

Glue the lower bracket to the hull and leave the upper portion unglued?

Red 1 and 2 hold the schurzen. Red 1 is attached to the lower hull. Red 2 is attached to the upper hull. And the schurzen is attached to both of them!!
Green 3 is also attached to the upper and lower hull. Although I think I can leave the lower part of the bracket not glued.

Another consideration is that all the schurzen hides an awful lot of details, like the jack and shovel. Maybe I’ll use some reference photos and ‘bash’ it all up a bit so as to reveal whats underneath.

bruce

That’s very true.

I think that’s why a lot of Pz IV projects end up with only only a couple of sections of Schürzen attached.

First lot of schurzen on. Fortunately the side skirts just hang there at the moment. They slide into brackets. To get them vertical will mean gluing them to the top rail. Something I’m trying to avoid.
I’m not sure what everyone is using for glue on the PE. Super glue is a PITA and often breaks away. I’ve been using craft sticky glue. (Sticky PVA).

bruce
At the moment I will leave the side skirts unglued. See what happens.

One last one before bed time!!

The schurzen lifts off and as it is. I maybe able to get away with opening up occasionally.

bruce

3 Likes

OK all but finished.

A few small details that I’m skipping for the moment. I don’t think they add anything to the finished look. Maybe a bit more weathering. I’m not so sure if I like the schurzen so neat and new looking. Maybe I’ll drive it through some bushes. The aerial is too fat so I’ll replace it.

All up an interesting and enjoyable build. My first AFV and it’s an interior kit. :thinking:

I can remove the schurzen. That lets me remove the turret and hull top so I can see inside. Bit of a juggle but it wont be happening to often.

Thanks to everyone who answered my dumb questions. You have helped a lot.
bruce

2 Likes

Nice job. I like the faded look of the Panzer yellow. :+1: :+1: