Panzerkampfwagen IV Ausf H 1/35th by Miniart

This kit has been in the stash waiting to be built all of five minutes, well not actually, but in the scheme of kit stashes time scales it has.

I’m diving straight in as any questions about final scheme can wait till I’m at a later stage with it, the interior has much more work than the exterior.

see, I’ve started already, no prelims, no waffle, just right in with the floor.

so far minimal clean up, I have just built an Airfix 1/72 scale S boat from 1975, so I’m spoilt with this, but lets see how welll it all goes together.

10 Likes

and just to head off any mutterings of interior, whats the point, you won’t see it when it’s done, well you will, on here, so this isn’t going to be one of those empty shells like you see on the anti tank ranges.

9 Likes

there are several paint options on the instruction sheet and I’m keen on both as they faced off against British Canadian Forces in the hell that was Normandy.

my choice comes down to side skirts or visible running gear, the skirts are brass, so battle damaging them will be very do able, yes I’m with the skirts.

11 Likes

Looking good… Makes sense in having the skirts on… Brass will allow for more better controlled and more realistic battle damage. What’s the plastic like ? The one miniart kit I have done it was quite soft ?

2 Likes

yes the plastic on a Grant I made of theirs was quite soft, this seems to be ok though, well moulded in solid grey plastic. Made the floor up and learned that finding parts from the dozens of sprues is a bit time consuming as not all are numbered sprues and those that are the number is tiny.

so I spent a lot of time identifying sprues from the instruction sheet, applying a masking tape label with a number of the sprue frame in ball point pen.

much easier to spot what frame I need.

8 Likes

If you’re interested in corrections, there is a box inside that shouldn’t be there.

David

2 Likes

Looks like a great kit, you’re off to a good start.

2 Likes

Oh David, have the crew been liberating Jewellery again, I’ve told them to stop, but you know what these Lads are like among the ruins of Caen, they think it’s finders keepers especially as the RAF did all that damage, not the Panzerwaffe.

4 Likes

Ive taken the liberty of pre spraying all the components on the frames in either grey or white primer, depending on if they are outside or inside, having said that the engine, gearbox parts will be next on the construction phase, they are black/metallic.

6 Likes

Gearbox ready to go in…

fitted to the floor, next up, drivers seat…

5 Likes

Not got much modelling done today, went magnet fishing in my local river, the Arun and found this.

a quick search shows it’s a Luftwaffe incendiary bomb tail fin.

just to give an idea of size, the standard Coke can scale.

10 Likes

Pretty cool though

2 Likes

I have to say that I am Very Impressed with both your model and your find!

Bill

2 Likes

Interesting find – an extremely premature release by the Luftwaffe to ignite Portsmouth/Southampton? Or maybe from a shot-down/disintegrating Heinkel/Junkers?

3 Likes

A remarkable catch! Very interesting and unique! Every time I’ve ever been fishing I’ve caught nothing - no fish, no bombs, no souvenirs - just wet worms on my hook. So I find your discovery most incredible! Congratulations!

3 Likes

So you basically take your worms for a swim… And, how are they progressing?

@Grouser : You’re off with a nice start! But why is there a 1:72 tag in this topic?

2 Likes

the engine block has a couple of gaps that will need filling when the glue dries, the track needs looking at.

oh boy that looks frustrating…

track really needs cleaning up before the links fit snug together

7 Likes

trying again with the track pins, if you trim the links really tight they fit together far better and allow the pins to go in in line, not easy, but it works.

this is one serious kit, on the difficulty level of I’d say that M29 Weasel i built on here last year, tolerances are tight and there is no room for inaccuracy.

the brake parts on the inside of the final drives, case in point plenty of room for a mistake making those up.

5 Likes

I don’t use a hook and line, just a powerful magnet on a rope, found this in the same river.

it’s an circa 1850 pinfire single barrel hammer shotgun, stripped it all down and used restoration wax, makes a nice wall hanger.
Never know what you will find Magnet fishing, that’s why it’s so much fun

6 Likes

I had a horrible experience with those type of track pins on a RFM kit. Sincerely hope yours turn out.

I went with these;
R-Model 1/35 35034H German PzKpfw III/IV Early Metal Tracks w/Pins (40cm)

5 Likes