Possible Italian or Afrika Korp dio begun

I was taking a break from modeling for a while and so not being one to stay idle I cleaned out a few stash boxes. I found this fig from a Tamiya Kubel kit. He looks pretty good right on the sprue and so I pondered…hmmmm.

I started by cleaning up the cast lines and doing undercutting but this guy didn’t need much. I did tilt his hat to a jaunty angle usually seen in period pics and also added some hair. I also removed the flap detail from his hat. The trop. version just had that element stitched on and it didn’t really have the flap.The Afrika guys bleached their hats in gasoline for some reason. They liked them off white color.

I painted the upper works here. I see a flaw on the left side of his nose needs fixing and a few other tweeks.

Here is the whole guy now painted. I am not happy with the highlites on the top of his sox. Seems kinda metallic. But he is respectable right from the sprue I’ll wager ?

17 Likes

Looks pretty much your usual 100% effort !! I think you can get away with the socks… They could be the not often seen armoured ankle protection issue… Only a few were made and issued :grin:

Cap looks very nice… Good bit of info about what they soaked it in …:+1::tumbler_glass:

1 Like

Excellent job as usual Jerry. Nice to see the DAK subject getting sone attention. I am in the middle of a Panzer IV E build and have a crew from Valkyrie standing by to be painted. I’ll be following this for sure .

1 Like

J, I have read somewhere that many of the new DAK troops purposely bleached their caps so that they would look more like the “old hares”, DAK veterans whose caps had been bleached by the sun, so as to appear more like the veterans of the campaign.

1 Like

yep, that could be it!
J

1 Like

Cool. I hope you post lotsa pics,
J

1 Like

I will go back and tone down those metallic sox. No worries,
J

2 Likes

I already have, but just the tank itself so far. Just started the painting phase.

1 Like

Nice well I hope you post pics. I also began another vehicle for the BoB.
J

2 Likes

As usual a 100 % effort in your work Jerry. Looks very nice, and I personally like that jaunty angle of the cap.

1 Like

My pics are under “DAK Panzer IV E” btw. I will be posting more pics as I move along the painting/ weathering process and of course the crew figs.

1 Like

Looks like Dame Vera Lynn to me.

1 Like

Thanks buddy!
J

1 Like

ahhh yes, for some reason I didn’t put the two together.
J

1 Like

I’ll hafta take your word for that,
J

1 Like

I’m following your next move here Jer, curiousity has got me now!
Cheers
Dave :slightly_smiling_face:

This one might take a while. Haven’t nailed it down yet.
J

The longervthe wait, the sweetest the satisfaction from the end result. Will be watching like a hawk… :eagle:

1 Like

Thanks man,very kind words of encouragement.
J