Practice weathering

P.S., as good as your weathering is, I can see why you guard your rolling stock with a Kv-1 and -2!

1 Like

Lol…sure on the next one
Thanks

2 Likes

Started another CP gondola…

2 Likes

Masked off the data plate…

3 Likes

Sprayed with a very dilute coat of Tamiya X20A thinner and Tamiya Flat White

4 Likes

Many thanks!

No prob, hit the gondola with another thinned out mix of X20A and a couple drops of flat white to take the CP Action Red to more of a salmon pink…
peeled off the tape off the data plates…
squeezed out some W/N Raw Umber and Van Dyck Brown onto a cardboard scrap to wick off the linseed oil…
Now it’s ready for the oil paint…

3 Likes

Oils blocked in…

2 Likes

Oils removed with Turpenoid ( Blue ) using soft brush and Q-tip…

7 Likes

AC kaput…don’t feel like painting today…
But flipped the car over…and did some logo bleed with Winsor and Newton Titanium White on one side
This will get the Van Dyck Brown / Raw Umber oil grunge treatment once it’s sealed…

5 Likes

Ready for airbrushed grime coat…

3 Likes

Went for a heavier weathering look on this one compared to the CP gondola I did earlier in this thread…but I airbrushed the Tamiya grime mix so heavy the CP 340 956 was barely legible… I didn’t like it so much so about 1/2 hour afterward I took a Q-tip dipped in X20A and rubbed some of the grime off…
I will hit it next with some clear flat…then do some touch up…and move on to the other side / interior

4 Likes

You really have captured the look of the grime that accumulates on rail equipment. Beautifully done ! They get filthy for sure. I can attest to that as I am a conductor on the LIRR and sometimes work freight ( we call them work trains) . Merely rubbing up against them in the course of my duties gets my clothes filthy with soot, brake dust road grime etc lol. Even if I wear gloves my hands still get black . Again excellent job!

2 Likes

The vast majority of our equipment also has graffiti all over them btw, except for the engines as they get serviced quite often at our engine facilities.

1 Like

Thanks… !
most of my freight is in the pre-graffiti era…60s, 70s and 80s

1 Like

No problem!
Keep up the great work.

Rich

Thanks Rich,
I have to work up the courage to weather a loco

Maybe you have an older one to experiment on that you won’t mind making mistakes on ? I have about 20 engines stashed away with some rolling stock as well and I think I tried weathering one many years ago. I can understand your reluctance, they are very expensive!

I am gonna start on cheap Roundhouse loco to get the ball rolling…
LOL
I knew LIRR sounded familiar… I have a timetable for Ronkonkoma kicking around here

Yeah why not ? Lol…
I live about ten minutes from Ronkonkoma station and worked that branch many years ago. I left passenger service about 3 years ago. Trains are still about 80% empty due to Covid.