Question about tall trees

Pine trees can be 50 ft (or more) tall. In 1/35 that would be at least 16" (or more), and in 1/72, 8 - 10" tall. On a smallish dio - 12" x 12" (lets say a German tank in Ardennes, and a few figures) that makes a small footprint with really tall and dangerously awkward structures. What would you do…go with properly scaled trees, or use artistic license and scale them down somewhat?
:smiley:

1 Like

Most people just show the bottom portion of the trees.
Ken

2 Likes

What Ken said.
By the way, 50 feet is a small pine, they can reach 100 feet or higher. Around here, Northern Europe they can hit 145 feet.

1 Like

Leo, I max out on the trees I use at around 10" or so; any more than that I find there’s a transportation problem when I display at shows. Of course, if your efforts are remaining in situ I suppose that doesn’t quite matter so much.

I use the Firs made by Model Scene and very good they are too, in my opinion. See my T-64B from 3 Shock Army - Skif Kit if you’re so inclined. Of course, that represents a young plantation not the density say, of an Ardennes forest but if I manage an effect I’m generally happy.

So, in answer to your question, I would see nothing wrong with scaling them down a little.

1 Like

This YouTube video may be of some interest. You can get a sense of scale and size toward the end.

‘Ardennes 44’ Diorama’

Product page: ‘The Scenic Factory’
Disclaimer: No affiliation with any companies.

—mike

1 Like

Just depends on what you are trying to depict… Everything added to a diorama or vignette is a choice in composition, and every element of that composition should contribute to conveying your message to the viewer. Maybe taller trees contribute to the composition and maybe they don’t. There is no one-size fits all answer. It just depends…

1 Like

A bunch of true to scale 100+ foot pines would totally dwarf whatever is happening on the ground.
A bunch of solid tree trunks cut off at the upper limit of the diorama, say 25 to 30 scale feet above diorama ground zero would convey the message about a forest that forces vehicles to stay on the road.

Note that these trees are only half grown, early teens …

1 Like

Here’s a nice example of just a few trees used very effectively.

‘Poland 1939 Diorama’ WIP Image courtesy of KitMaker Member: timcc2008
Hope Tim is still building dioramas!

—mike

4 Likes

Just waiting for Sasquatch to step out of the trees.

2 Likes

That is excellent yes

1 Like

You can either depict a sapling that fits into your diorama, or you can depict a tree that was split by artillery fire (quite suitable for the Ardennes Offensive or the Hurtgen Forest fighting).

1 Like

Or you can depict lots of vehicles and lots of trees covered in snow …

… or lots of figures and lots of trees covered in snow.

Inspiration!:snowflake: I just could’t resist! :innocent:

—mike

2 Likes

How about a Sasquatch running through the trees pursued by one of those converted Sherman logging vehicles?

Cheers,

M

2 Likes

You could put up a solid back scene. Then a ceiling. Hold the ceiling on the rear edge by the back scene and the top with large trees cut to length. This allows you to frame the scene. Have huge trees without viewers expecting the tree to go full height. Here’s a few ideas. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U3Vj1d97_M And another one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClV4tED4hMs Yes they are 1/48 scale but you will see the huge trees and the ceiling above them. Making the eye concentrate on the lower subject. Train guys have been doing this for a long time.

1 Like

I was thinking having Sasquatch walking across the road just after the vehicle drove by with none of the occupants noticing.

Not all trees in the forest are the same size, so it seems fine that you’re just portraying a part where the trees are younger. In 1/72 scale 6-8 inches high certainly gives the impression of a tall tree compared to any figures, and scales to around 40-50 feet. Clearly in any pine forest there will be trees that tall, so it’s not inauthentic, while at the same time not being too impractical. I even managed to get another shelf in over Fat Max in the forest - shame the crew all seem to have developed Trump tans over the years, they are looking distinctly orange.

The tops do tend to get cropped out in photos still.

I guess in 1/35 it’s a different story in terms of practicality, or you just have to go for younger trees.

2 Likes

There is apparently a naughty word in the post made by FirstCircle above …

:joy:
I think I have fixed it.

The British expression, “Tom, D**k and Harry” probably needs to be revised too …
Maybe Tom, Richard and Harry …

1 Like

Hey Mike-
Appreciate you referencing my dio. The trees are both 8" and 10". Still in progress… :grimacing:
Tim

1 Like