Question re M800 builds

Hi All. I think I may have made another goof. I bought AFV’s M54 kit planning to build the Real Model M800 tractor. Now Im getting the impression that these kits (and the M800 dump truck) are designed to be used with the Italeri or I Love M939 kits.

Can anyone straighten me out on this?

Also, a link to Frenchys M800 tractor build would be helpful!

TIA

Real Model’s M800 conversion kits (along w/their M52 and M54 backdate kits) were intended to be used on the Italeri M923/M925 5 ton kits. They should be close to the AFV Club M54 kit, but not sure how well they would fit since it has the correct dimensions.

There must be another “Frenchy” on the forums, as I’ve never built such a truck (M818) :roll_eyes:

H.P.

Thanks Gino. Im going to look at the dimensions but I suspect problems matching eg cab width to kit wheelbase.

It’s probably a non-starter. :frowning:

Apologies Frenchy. Someone posted drawings and other info re the tractor.

No problemo :wink:

H.P.

Here are some drawings with dimensions.

Military_m818_dimensions

Thanks Gino, always helpful.

Den

Being lazy here but was there much difference in the load bed design of the M800 and the M939?

In other words, an Italeri M925 kit (including shifter and clutch) with the RM M800 cab = an M800?

Id like one of these but theyre OOP.

Thanks guys

It looks like M813s had early and late beds. The early bed has smooth sides like an M54. The later beds have the raised circles for the inner tie-downs like an M923. So you should be good building a late M813 using the M923 bed.

Thanks Gino.

I am now amending my earlier response. I actually don’t think any standard M813s had the raised circles on the bed sides. The bed sides are smooth on all the pics I look at, like below.

As I look closer, the only ones I can find that have M939 beds w/the raised circles look to be ones that are for sale from surplus outlets and have been rebuilt with the 6 Bigfoot wheels and other M939 features.

I would just sand the circles off the outsides of the beds and go with smooth sides.

Thanks again Gino, this makes good sense.

Just finishing my M813. Its been an interesting ride this one. Really hate the way Liquitex covers the wash on the tire walls. Well I had doubts about posting pics of this build. A real struggle to make it work, but that’s my limited skills and knowledge for you.

There are many faults but I think it looks enough like an M813 ( from a metre away) to go on the shelf.image

2 Likes

It looks pretty good to me. Nice job on it. The only thing I would change are the wheels/tires. The Italeri ones are really undersized and the profile of the wheel itself is too flat.

Same here. If anything, maybe add a little weathering to the canvas, it looks too new compared to the rest of the truck. Otherwise, it looks ready to start up and drive away.
Ken

I agree with Gino and Ken - bigger wheels (and without that center mold line), more faded canvas. But what’s in between looks great! Looks just like the old 5T that sat in the motor pool of my MDNG unit back in the 90’s.

That really looks great. Might have to start building done US trucks!

I guess some aftermarket M54 wheels should be useable with this one…(same 11.00x20 size)

H.P.

Yes, they are the same wheels on both trucks.