Question re M800 builds

These look alot better than their earlier stuff. Be nice to see their dump box and wrecker deck.

James, looking at your other work I’m sure you’ll do a great job.

I read a FSM review dated Jan 2019 of the AFV Club M54A2C, the dropside version. Pretty good review given, just thought I’d mention the dropside thing for modeller’s benifit.

I also read about a European resin outfit that has *just released am M123 tractor and an M819 tractor/wrecker.

I dont think either of these went to sandy places in ODS but they’re right up my alley interest-wise.

*Does anyone know the name of this co? I didnt get the date of the article.

1 Like

Anyone know a release date…

1 Like

Nothing yet on the M800. I messaged RM about that fuel tanker trailer and he said “ Probably this year” which is encouraging. I may leave the civilian tanker alone and buy one of the RM ones.

Thread drift but I just saw this on their site; I cant load the image, says its insecure. Anyway, theyre offering a v nice 3D printed grille for AFV’s M54.

Check their site, its on there.

Looks good. Says 2 to a box and they are only going for about $9.00 USD.

Thanks for showing that. Dumb question but is there something wrong with the AFV griiles? I haven’t checked the kit grille yet, but the general feeel of things is good.

From what I can tell, no. I guess it is just another option.

Another stage; as you’ll know it could become an M800 at this point.

On we go with the hood and grille tomorrow.

Will be getting a better camera soon….

1 Like

Looking good so far.

Thanks Gino. On the wheels for this truck; I’m using DEF Model wheels but, the masks only fit the concave side of each rim. Any ideas on how to mask the fronts especially the front wheels?

I use a circle template to paint wheels, not the provided masks. You can find them in office supply and art stores. First I paint the whole wheel/tire black, then I find the circle that is closest to the rim and spray the rim color through it. You might have to clean up a little with a brush, but it is pretty easy and works great.

2 Likes

Got it Gino. I’m soaking the painted rims in Dettol overnight, then a fresh start on them tomorrow.

Thanks.

RM posted a few more photos of the new parts:

2 Likes

Looks pretty nice.

Hum, still not very convinced of the hood/bonnet shapes…

The hood shape looks right to me.

For a model to model comparison, here’s RM’s first take on the M800.

Hood, grille, battery box. All looking nice. But still, go for it James!

1 Like

And now that 3d conversions are happening for the AFV M54 to M800 series trucks…Maybe AFV club will make the M800 series trucks…

Quite likely. That said, when JL bangs out the appropriate 3D pieces my stash of 5 M54’s will be quickly divided up for M800 roles.

I’ve also ordered the M123 from Wanamaker (excellent site and stuff BTW).

What I’d really like one day is to build an M125 like this.

The 10 tonner.