Railroad Campaign (s), Anyone?

Let’s start this weekend then! How about 6 months since it’s a kind of starter campaign for the train site here? (I’m very flexible on this, just tossing something out - I have no idea how long it will take for others to build their builds. Mine is going to take about as long as a tank I think.)

Phil,

Thanks. Sounds good.

Randy, that Par IV looks great. You gonna build it?

I have this in the stash:

And I’ve been looking for an excuse to build it.

Jim

2 Likes

Hi James,

Good to hear from you! And, I’d love for you to join with that kid! I’ve seen that model around for it most of my life and I’ve always wanted to see it built.

I’m thinking of other things to build myself. I have three or four of the ahm O scale steam locomotives. One’s a German BR 45, I think it’s his, another one is the Indiana Harbor belt 080, and I have a Reno I think, the other one is the Casey Jones. It would come down between the German Tank Engine, and the Casey Jones.

Regardless, please do for dissipate! And invite friends!

All my best, Fred

This is the kit I’m going to do:

I’ll post a start picture on the weekend. I assembled two of the barrels and started painting them, and two of the workers and started painting them, but really just got basecoats on them.

But looking at the instructions to see what is ahead I already have a question. The kit comes with two different kinds of wheels - spoked and solid. A couple of the profiles have spoked wheels and a couple of profiles have solid wheels. I’m not sure I’ve every seen a spoked wheel on a rail car. What’s the story on different kind of wheels?

Hi Phil,

Over in Europe spoked wheels were used a little bit. I don’t know if a little bit means for decades, or just on and off. I’m trying to thank you American Rolling Stock ever you spoke wheels. I’m sure that they did somewhere along the line but I doubt that they were used before or after the Civil War. Holly photos of the American Civil War that I’ve seen were Freight cars in that had been burned, all the wheels were solid. I’ve seen spoked wheels on European locomotives, for the pilot and Pony trucks. I think even for the tenders. I’m going to ask about that at the railways of Germany site. I’ll try to find out the answer to that.

I have a German gun love that I think I might build now. I think it’s Trumpeter. Baby dragon. I don’t recall although it’s right down next to my work bench and I see it every time I’m down there.(thanks Koda Waste!)

I’ll let you know what I find out about the spoke wheels. All my best, Fred

Don’t know. Things are bad right now. :frowning:

Spoked wheels were comonly used in what railway modellers call period (epoch in German) 1 and 2. That is about till the end of the so called Landerbahnzeit… The time that each German state had its own railways (end of WW1) . After that they were gradually replaced by solid wheels. Part of the reason was weight: light metal alloys were not available and in the early days it was not uncommon that the wheels were made of forged iron! Since goods wagons were used for decades, it was not uncommon to see spoked wheels being used during WW2…

Thanks for that. I don’t really know how to find period photos. When I search for them online, almost everything that comes up is photos of models.

I happen also to do something with model rr in H0 (1:87), specifically the Royal Bavarian State Railways, hence my knowledge :slight_smile:

Erwin,

Great information. Thank you very much. I’m not well-versed on different types of Railcar Wheels. I know over here we had cast iron, forged iron, Steel. Etc. There are some that have curved ridges cast in to the inner faces. I recall that was for heat dissipation. But I think that those were those ceased when steel wheels were made. But again, I’m ignorant on the subject.

Thanks, Fred

Hi Erwin,

Royal Bavarian State Railways? I don’t know much about the DB and predecessors but Royal Bavarian State Railway is one of my interests. Mainly because about 45 years ago I bought a Lilliput 4-6-0 / 2’C of the Royal Bavarian State Railways. If you have seen any of my custom painted freelance locomotives, you will probably recognize the livery. :-).

I’ll email you or start a thread later with some questions about the railroad.

Do you know much about the Moselbahn?

All my best, Fred

Hi Fred,
I indeed mean the k.bay.sts.b. I must admit that I have not seen your model.
Could you please show it again?
I do have a series of specials of a German railway magazine about Bavarian locomotives, although they are in German. Just give me a shout if you want them.

As for the Moselbahn, I do have book about this, although my brother has it now…

Yes, that is very annoying. Happens to me, too. Nice to see models but I want reality. Searching for actual source material is frustrating unless you know of specific websites, i.e., historical societies and the like.

He is the Monogram static model.

My mistake - I have a Liliput Royal Prussian Railroad P-8.

Yes, please.

The engine looks like a American engine to me…

The Prussians are from the same time, just like the Baden, or Württemberger trains…
Please pm with your e-mail address. I’ll send them by Wetransfer tomorrow…

Looks like a Big Boy (4-8-8-4) to me. Never seen one in green before.

Jim

Oh. I have an MPC general in my stash as well. It’s super difficult to find good reference images for inside the cab though.