Railroad Campaign (s), Anyone?

As it turns out I’ll be gone this weekend. I had the camera out and took a start pic.

I assembled a couple of crew and a couple of barrels to do some painting experiments. I don’t think I’ll use either for this, but just in the interest of transparency:

A Big Boy he is indeed, although on the fictional JP&T the official type name was “Ouachita”, but equally known as a “Big Boy.”

Search “Leviathan cab photos.” II found several shots of the 2009 replica CP No.63 4-4-0. Maybe this will work for you: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=leviathan+cab+photos&t=newext&atb=v231-1&iax=images&ia=images

Even better, a video of The General’s cab!

Possibly this…remeinds me of the train level on the Playstation game Medal of Honor: Frontline.

Or…could always go “Back to the Future” :slight_smile:

And…well…it is a train…

Sorry…trying to bring a little humor. :roll_eyes:

But…I do like the looks of this one.

6 months or however long is fine with me. If I do take part I imagine that will be more than enough time for me to complete a project.

Thank you,
Randy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah.
thank you. I’m not a train person, so don’t really have any idea where to search. I had seen the video you linked but found it frustratingly wobbly, out of focus and not showing the layout very well at all.

I plan to build largely out of the box, with just a few obvious improvements.

Well I made it official…I ordered the Trumpeter Panzerjagerwagen kit this evening. :sunglasses:

Randy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hmmm. Timing is an issue (we’re starting a run of fieldwork that gets in the way) but I’m already listing steps for a GP38-2 shell. I could throw together a wagon kit instead, but we’ll see. It’ll make a change from tanks!

That wagon train - :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Did you see the photos from my search for Leviathan? It’s backhead (part ofd the boiler in the cab with all the pipes and handles and valves, etc.) would not be much different from The General’s.
Search “Leviathan cab photos.” II found several shots of the 2009 replica CP No.63 4-4-0. Maybe this will work for you: leviathan cab photos at DuckDuckGo

Hi Group,

This weekend (almost over) is the beginning of our railroad campaign. Anyone have an idea for a name for it or is “Railroad campaign” good for our first?

I’ll make a campaign thread for it this week. The new site doesn’t do ribbons anymore but I’m thinking about a “ribbon” to send everyone who completes the campaign. Maybe a replica issue of railroad stock?

Looking forward to this!

I have started cutting and glueing. Not much, but maybe I’ll have something this week. It’s a fairly simple kit in terms of parts count. I’m glad we’re doing this! Perhaps “Inaugural Railroad Campaign” since it is for this site? I don’t know whether you had them on the old site?

I’m in with a conversion project of a Locotractor in 1/35

2 Likes

Hi Phil,

Inaugural Railroad Campaign it shall be. Good idea.

I hope tho have the campaign thread running by tomorrow. :wave:

1 Like

Get that campaign thread going, please! I’ve made some progress this week. This kit is very nice. Building rolling stock is not like building planes or tanks, so for a first time I feel pretty good about it. I would do a couple of things a little differently if doing over (or when I do my next one - which I’ve already been eyeing!). I’ve assembled the lower part of the car. I guess this much of it is the same on all the mini-art rolling stock kits? I thought I would prepaint the wood bits but that was actually a mistake - I want to glue that stuff together with poly cement rather than superglue. I wonder whether the underside of the wood parts was painted the color of the wood, or painted black. I’m now guessing the later. But it’s ready for the black lower parts and a bit of metallic on the wheels.

I have two questions, one modelmaking, and one just about how rolling stock works.

• the structures that hold the axles are kind of flexible. The instructions are not to glue the axles in so the car will roll. I think that’s a good idea. That the structures are flexible means I can slip them in. But there’s not a lot of strength holding them together. And ideas about how I could add some strength? My only thought would be to glue a stiffer piece of styrene behind it where it’s not very visible, but I don’t like that idea.
  • the axles seem to be fixed to the car in front and back, there is nothing on which they turn. I wonder how these go around curves. Is it just that the curves are so shallow that the wheels will kind of glide around them without the axles having to turn at all?

Anyway, pics now:

I’ll get this primed and painted black today I imagine. Along with the wheels.

1 Like

2 Likes

Hi Phil, on the real thing the wheel treads are tapered if you look at them end-on, so when they hit a curve they (and the carbody on them) kinda move slightly sideways and the wheel on the inside of the turn touches the rail nearer its outer edge (which has a smaller diameter because it is the narrow end of the taper) while the other wheel rides up closer to the flange and thus has a larger diameter. The result is each wheel covers the same amount of curve at the same time. We’re talking fractions of an inch of sideways movement, so it isn’t really visible to the casual observer…

2 Likes

In the next year or two I’d like to build this

http://derela.pl/austin2.htm

Something a bit different but very achievable using mini arts new rail cars !

4 Likes

That is a very interesting subject!

1 Like

Well, my model arrived just a bit ago. Time to get to work. :slight_smile:

1 Like