Reloading and Shooting

Humm…

They say this year. What is a 6.8x51 anyway?

1 Like

I’m in NY. The only part of that I’m “allowed” to own is the optics.
FUKH

Not even if you are a competition shooter?

I refuse to register my rifles. NY doesn’t care if you compete or not. If you own them and expect to use them at a match or anywhere else they’d better be listed.
I’ll wait until I move to free America.

The rifle in TopSmith’s picture has a threaded barrel and suppressor. Neither is legal in NY unless you are a LEO.

1 Like

Hey, for all you shooters out there. Who has NEW 7mm Remington Magnum brass cases for reloading?
Cheap? I checked Midway, Shooters Supply and all the other big names. All are out of stock with no backorder. WTF!! All the small Mom & Pops shops around here closed up. The nearest Cabellas is 2 hours away with Insane prices. Im not paying $2 a case for unprimed/ unloaded brass. I got bullets powder and thousands of primers but no brass. I need some good leads on brass.

I’ll keep an eye out this afternoon. Never know what I’ll find. I usually look for the higher caliber pistol cases (.357 Magnum, .44 Magnum, 45 Colt, .500 Magnum…) but there are occassionally rifle calibers other then .223. I know you want new, but sometimes beggars can’t be choosy.
Come to think of it, I think the Academy’s near me has all sorts of new rifle brass. I’ll have a look there on Monday.

Edit:
Available for different prices on ammoseek.com.
Brownells is sold out of the cases, but at $1.00 per case, Academy’s price of $2.00 for the entire cartridge sounds like a pretty good deal, especially when you can get it for 15% off.

We have to register all our guns but buying a supressor is as easy as buying milk and bread.

2 Likes

Ill hold off. Ill probably wind up selling the gun.

Well, I looked. The most exotic thing today other than what I needed was 6.5 Creedmoor. Too bad I don’t shoot that. There was an assload of it.

Free America includes Kentucky! ¡Prefiero morir de pie que vivir siempre arrodillado!

2 Likes

I got a really good deal on these (free) before they went out of business. I’ve heard great things about these particular polymer coated bullets.

Tested them out with a batch of 20. So, going from a 115 grain bullet to a 147 grain bullet, you’d think it needed more powder. Not so. I actually went from 4.2 grains of Titegroup to 3.2 grains, with no issues. I was afraid less powder might not cycle my “Big Sig” as it normally will not cycle with only 4.0 grains. However, reloading is a funny thing. A 147 grain bullet seats more deeply into the cartridge. Since there’s less space in the cartidge the pressure increases more quickly once the powder starts to burn. At any rate, 3.2 grains works well. No squibs!

Now I have 100 more up to take to the range this afternoon. Woohoo!

2 Likes

What’s Elizabethtown like?

2 Likes

E-town is nice. I do not know the indoor ranges there but lots of open areas nearby. Also the Corvette Museum is there if you are into cars

3 Likes

I asked because I heard it was a solid conservative town. No sense in leaving NY and ending up dealing with the same BS I get right here.
Any other leads?

1 Like

Ft Knox is near by.

2 Likes

Madisonville to Hopkinsville KY area. Many farms. Deer hunting is good in western KY. I live in Louisville and that is about the only blue spot in a normal red state

1 Like

Business slowed down after covid. I had to close my account there. :grinning:

Thanks!

Makes sense to me. When people say there is only one way to shoot, I think of all the variability you find in peoples body frames and think probably not, I agree that your grip and stance would be dependent on your build. Big hands, small hands, strong arms not as strong of arms. I know I shoot right handed but use my left eye with a pistol because it is has the best vision. That grip she demonstrates would work good for a glock also.

1 Like

I generally advise new shooters against putting their fingers in front of the trigger guard. Especially since they have a tendency to pull their shots down anyway. Putting their fingers in front of the trigger guard just makes it worse. For most people. The funny thing is I saw this video last year and if you look at the slow motion video, I don’t really think it’s helping her reduce muzzle flip that much but if she likes it and it works for her that’s great. I have other tricks for reducing muzzle flip, skater’s tape being one of them.