Revell 1/72 SPAD XIII (Build log)

Thanks, I thought I could build this in a month, 32 days in and still a few more to go :roll_eyes: Hopefully the decals have aged well and I can start putting them on tonight. :wave:

I think rigging this one may have aged the builder a tad too…

Looking very nice indeed Mark.

1 Like

Thanks, but there is a certain amount of Zen in pulling the rigging. On the other hand, the decals are going to age me.

Build log day 33
Does it really count as a build day if you only get two tiny tiny decals on?
I don’t know how old the decals are. I was worried that the decals might shatter as soon as they hit the water. Quite the contrary, I think the water shattered when the decals hit. :roll_eyes: They’re yellowed from age, and quite thick. While most modern decals wan 15 or 30 seconds in the water, these took over 10 minutes for the glue to loosen up and let the decal slide. They were largely resistant to Micro-Sol, so I went straight to Tamiya Mark Fit. That seemed to work. Maybe I can get some of the bigger decals on tonight. :wave:

1 Like

Build log day 34
These decals are going to be the death of me. I only got 3 on tonight, the last one took nearly 1/2 an hour to come lose from the backing. They’re going down OK with the with the Mark Setter, hopefully the yellowing will get lost in the weathering and dullcoat.

I’ll have to come back and touch up the rudder horns and the un-decaled edges later. Only 5 more decals to go. :hourglass_flowing_sand: :wave:

2 Likes

I’m not going to get much done tonight. But I have an Excuse!

I was at the Seattle Museum of Flight @MOF with dozens of modelers and over 1700 kits on display.
Build Log Day 35
Got one whole decal on. Finally broke a decal. :exploding_head: The 20 floated off after 20-25 minutes, but the shooting star took another 15 minutes.

:wave:

2 Likes

Build log day 36
AARRGGH, It took 45 minutes to float this one decal. At this rate, it’ll take 3 more days to finish decaling this tiny terror.

So to tide everyone over, here’s a view of the Seattle Museum of Flight’s SPAD.

2 Likes

I’m jealous, I never know what I’m doing three days ahead of time. :grin:

or

I guess it’s king of like hitting yourself with a rock…it feels really good when you stop doing it.

You’re almost there. You’ll be well justified in feeling pretty good about your build when it’s done.

Cheers,
Colin

1 Like

It’s not that I know what I’m doing days in advance, it’s that these decals eat up so much modeling time I thought I could only get one on a night.
Build log days 37 & 38
Took so long to get two decals on one night I had to go to bed without taking a photo.

Broke and tore one of them, but I think I got it put back together OK.
One of the bottom ones took almost an hour to float, the other one only took about 40 min. :roll_eyes:

Now the decals are done, on to panel lining! :wave:
<> Got some panel lines and paint touch ups.

:wave: :wave:

4 Likes

Something to do between decals Mark:

1 Like

Build log day 39
Got the wheels and cowling installed. The propeller is removable, it really spins.

only need to weather and install the exhausts and pilot. Trim the rudder lines and touch up the paint. Then it on to flat coat and weathering.
Rudder lines in place. Looks like I have to re-rig the elevator support.

I might finish this month, :wave:

2 Likes

Build log day 40
Got the exhaustsweathered and installed. Got the rudder lines trimmed (and repaired :roll_eyes:) and fixed the elevator support.

Ran a black ink wash over the pilot, now he’s back there watching the super glue dry on the tail rigging.

3 Likes

Build log day 41
Thought I could finish this in a month?? :roll_eyes: Pilot is installed, rigging is trimmed, paint is touched up.

Just need to get a flat coat on, do some weathering and get a final coat. Then I can call it done, my second finish for the year. :wave:

2 Likes

You will do it within a month… a month of Sundays!

The effort you put in was worth it Mark.

Build log day 42.
Normally this is the point when I would call this one finished. I got the flat coat on, but now I want to try some weathering, maybe some exhaust stains on the fuselage and some mud on the wheels and bottom. :wave:

3 Likes

Build log day 43
Got some exhaust stains on the sides.

And got some mud on the underside.

Just about ready for a final cover coat. :wave:

2 Likes

Build log day 44
Fini!
It’s done! Revell 1/72 SPAD XII

More photos to follow. But it’s late and tomorrow’s an early day. :wave:

3 Likes