RFM Challenger 2, OOB, Berlin Camo’, Finished!

Nice even lighting on your build pictures J, I’m enjoying watching this build.

1 Like

Thanks guys!

The lighting is just my daylight company led magnifier, and a generic daylight lamp for twin source. The same setup I use for building and painting, but closer to the subject for the pics. And the camera is my iPhone.

Well I have been progressing with this build. The kit is good, but the location points for some parts need refining, and some parts need some light trimming, but nothing too taxing. The only modification of a kit part I’ve made is to remove the fixing for the rear view mirrors on their supports, as references show these removed.

I don’t have a photo etch bending tool and the splash guard on the front doesn’t have the easiest reliefs for bending, so that has been fun! I lost one p.e. part to the ether, small bracket that goes on the inside of the front mudguards/hull, so they will be left off. And the flat tie downs on the hull front tested my patience very much! Photo Etch is not my favourite thing.

The turret isn’t buttoned up yet as I’m trying to figure a way of making the gun mantlet removable, to help with painting. Anyway, one piece at a time, and we will get there…

Just to prove I have not been idle;

3 Likes

Nice progress Jim. looks good from all angles. You have to love the spring that the smallest bit of PE suddenly develops and flings itself into the unknown… it took me 30 minutes to find bit with a head torch, a maglite and 2 desk lamps … tricky little sod at the best of times lol.

I am aiming to get into the Chally 2 realm later on in the year, but will probably go with an OPFOR colour scheme like the BATUS fleet.
Whats the info on the turntable you have the kit on … I could do with one of those ??

2 Likes

Thanks John. Yeah, I must have spent over an hour searching for the part before deciding life really is too short, even in lockdown!

The small stand is the Tamiya one, comes in a set, which I have two sets of. The wired stand is meant for 1/24th car bodies but works great with turrets!

https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/74522stand/index.htm

The large white one is, of all things, a cake decorating stand I found in Sainsbury’s kitchen utensil area. I think I paid £5.50 for it. Very handy to have the larger area.

Cheers, J.

1 Like

Just watched this from the tank museum Bovington. Some great shots of the Berlin camo, but fascinating info about the development of the tank, and interviews with current crew of one of the development tanks too. Also looks like the rear running gear skirt is routinely run upside down during exercise, leaving the drive sprocket clear. Gonna see about replicating that.

Also, does anyone know what the small antenna like thing sticking out the top of the jerry can holder on the rear is for?

Thanks, J.

2 Likes

It’s probably put there knowing it’s going to freak out modellers trying to guess what it’s for . . (It’s what I’d do lol)

1 Like

Ha! Yeah, they never think about us when they design these bloomin’ things! I think it may be a physical sensor for the gun, which, in the videos, seems to hit it at 180 degrees of travel, just to remind the gunner he is aiming backwards!

Have done some more work on the rear. I removed the stubs on the brackets for the fuel drums, that way can still fit the drums, or leave them off, or have just the one. Other parts are on temporarily with blutac. Lights will be left off until the end for painting.

I kinda like the brackets without the drums. And I hate trying to fill and file the seams on the drums! Just the tie down handles on the back of the engine deck and the photo etch screens and the rear is done…

Cheers, J.

Almost forgot the cable reel!

3 Likes

Ok, so just about everything is done in the build phase. Time to clean everything and paint.

The Chally looks accurate, and the kit has nice levels of detail. A good few of the parts need location points drilled out, or locator tabs adjusted for fit. Nothing too taxing, just some care needed.

I have glued on the side skirts as I can still remove and reinstate the running gear with them there. The rear parts I have left off as I will be putting these on upside down, as I have seen in videos of the tanks on manoeuvre. I also noticed a part that goes on the right rear light cluster missing in the instructions, however it is there on the spruce so I added it, sorry didn’t note the part number.

So, hopefully the next post will have some colour to it!

Cheers, Jim.

The part that isn’t in the instructions.

And I removed the tabs from the gun mantlet, leaving small stubs, so I can insert it after painting. Its a squeeze but works, and saves an awkward bit of masking!

6 Likes

Looks like a great kit-great job here

1 Like

The finish line is fast approaching Jim, you have done another great job with this one. When you have time, can you find the link that shows the rear side skirt upside down … I have been trying to find one but had no luck thus far.

1 Like

Thanks lads.

@Johnnych01 , the video from the tank museum I posted a link to above has both a standard and urban camo chally sporting the upside down rear skirts. Other shots show some just with them removed. Here are a couple of screen grabs;

I think it will add a nice bit of visual interest to the model.

Cheers, Jim.

5 Likes

Thanks Jim. I’m intrigued now, and will have to ask around and find out why. I cant see any reason for it unless its an ease of maint issue, but then surely it would be easier to leave off … Uhmmmmm :thinking:
Maybe Cats can ask his source in the RTR…

1 Like

We removed the skirt over the sprocket on the M1s due to mud. Sprockets usually don’t require maintenance just inspection.

2 Likes

Thats what we did on Chally1 if we needed to, hence why I dont get it.

2 Likes

Looks like it’s coming along nicely Jim. Btw, is that your work space in the pics ? Ridiculously clean lol !

1 Like

Hi!
The same done in German army with the skirt covering the sprocket. Due to possible damage when the tracks lift up any debris or mud packs, on Leopard 2 based vehicles the last skirt is always turned upwards to have the sprocket free. On Leopard 1 or Marder this was not done frequently and you often did see these vehicles with the rearmost skirt damaged more or less heavy.

I must admit that I hated this when I toop pictures of the vehicles because it did not look correct. But when I asked for the skirt down, I was always advised that the operating instructions say that for reason of damage the rearmost skirt must be up when in terrain.

Andreas

3 Likes

I have had a reply to the question above regarding the rearmost plate being upside-down from my source in the RTR:
“Sorry to bother you but someone on Amorama is also doing a CR2 in the urban scheme. They are intrigued as I am as to why the rear side plate is upside down.
Please could you enlighten us?”
Answer
"No problem. When operating in muddy or sandy conditions, the mud can build up around the final drive and bend the rear plate. It’s upside down so it’s out of the way.

5 Likes

And this is why I love armorama!

Great to have a definitive answer from your guy @Catsrcool, thanks for asking him.

And fascinating to know the Abrams is better off without the rear plate @Dan, thanks.

@AKirchhoff, that’s fantastic info to know the German army actually do the same thing, and actually have it in the manual, great info as usual mate!

Like you @Johnnych01 i was wondering why they didn’t just leave them off completely. Then I wondered if they are legally required for use on public roads, so can’t be left at base if manoeuvres include any such stretches, and they flip them when they need to? Also interestingly the desertised version had the drive sprocket clear.

Oh and yeah @metalhead85 , that is my workspace, with all the mess pushed off to either side for the pics to create an oasis of calm in the maelstrom of my desk!

I certainly will be finishing the model with the plates upside down now I know it is properly “cushty”.

Thanks to all, J.

2 Likes

No, it’s not a legal requirement Jim. Well unless they’ve changed the policy… it wasn’t . Still it’s good to know. And I never knew about that regarding Leopard 2…

1 Like