RFM M1A2 SEP V2 build

I just purchased this kit from eBay so I will follow along to see how your build goes and learn few things on this kit.

But to get my feet wet on 1/35 Abrams I think I will go ahead build the old dragon AIM kit I have in my collection eating dust. Hope to start a thread if I can figure out how to post photos.

You keep up the good work.

Mike

Great to have you interested in it as well Mike. I will hopefully get started on this pretty much once I get the M1A1 Mine plow done for the ODS build. Its a nicely detailed kit from the few times I have had the box open and really looking forward to getting it started. I will be doing a fairly clean external finish on this one, so something similar to one thats on a range period or just in barracks.

1 Like

I haven’t forgotten this one Mike, just been snowed under with work, life and a new puppy lol…
What would be great is if any of the US tankers have any good shots of any A2 SEP V2s in barracks fresh from the factory or just clean and tidy in camp during normal work periods…
I don’t want to clutter this one up with kit chucked all over it… All pics or knowledge appreciated :+1:

1 Like

Yeah, I have my kit in hand and waiting in few things. I am not sure yet which route I am going to take with it. But, I see what you mean with clean cut look. It will be different from the usual appearance of Abrams we are use to seeing.

Btw, good luck with the puppy. I have had many nights getting up over and over again but if I had to do it all over again I will not change a thing. He is my 4 legged kid :grin:

1 Like

Once my Striker ride is finished and the ATST is done… I will start on the Chieftain Stillbrew and I will also do the A2 SEP V2 along side it as a dual build.

1 Like

I am toying with the idea of getting this started as I let it slip from way back in 2021 … will possibly do a 2 on the bench build with the Mk11 Chieftain …

2 Likes

Open question reference the anti slip on this turret and hull…

This is the turret

And the hull…

Now it’s nice to have some detail for the anti slip, but to me it doesn’t look substantial enough…what are peoples thoughts on it ?? I don’t mind doing anti slip if needed as I did it on the M1 plough tank a while back, and that came out ok …

2 Likes

I get that but to me it’s not worth the squeeze to get just a little bit more. As it’s your project, your choice.

2 Likes

Yeah I know what you mean, its almost there but but missing a bit … and although I dont mind doing it … it is a lot of masking … :thinking:

2 Likes

I think what’s molded on there is fine for anti-slip. Think of looking at the tank from 35 feet away and that’s what you’ll see - a different texture or tone - not individual grains of sand.

2 Likes

Yes, I think thats what it boils down to mate, the scale and perspective :+1:

2 Likes

Same here. not really as pronounced as it should be, but not worth the effort to correct it.
One thing I do suggest is avoid any priming or thick base coat on the anti slip surfaces. You don’t want to cover up what detail is there.
Ken

2 Likes

Very good point…

1 Like

Decided to make a little start on the V2 …

Cut the first bits and will get these together … And then get the turret together before I actually start adding turret parts so going out of sequence a bit …

One odd thing … (More annoying really)
On the instructions here … It shows S58 one in blue to the right of the barrel, and another to the left.
I figured that the blue meant you could place it either side…

But after checking and looking at 3 V2 walkrounds, the lugs are actually on both sides??? Problem is, there is only one S sprue, which means there’s only one … Does that mean I now have to scratch one up ? ? Any M1 experts know ???

3 Likes

Yes, lugs on both sides.

2 Likes

Cheers Sean… Then it seems RFM messed up … Looks like I’m making one up now :+1:

1 Like

Those are the hardpoints where the coaxial M2 Machine Gun mount to the mantlet. Guess it’s a good time as any to scratchbuild those.

4 Likes

Look for the second lug in one of the sprues, I recall seeing a post in the past saying there were both included in the kit but not shown in the instructions

EDIT: C37 are the lugs in other variants, you have 2 C sprues in the kit

3 Likes

Nikos, this is why I am forever in your debt !!! Thanks mate … Now instead of only 1 lug … I now have 5 :see_no_evil::rofl:… Anybody want a few ?? :grin:

Got the turret and gun trunnion fitted

Turret top and bottom match up ok, but they need some extra help to stay together until set in place …

And thanks Reynier @SableLiger for those images, I wondered what the lugs were for.

6 Likes

Turret sealed up fine and moved on to fitting external parts now …

6 Likes