RFM Tiger I Late 5080

Hi,
I received my kit today and love the looks of it.
Nothing was missing or broken as I did a sprue inventory with the instruction manual.
Two items of interest: one, the issue of a rack of shells facing the wrong is an easy fix here as the four shells are molded into the rack. It can easily be turned around; two, love how they made a separate sleeve for the turret.

It seems that I did not need to presume about my first point. (see below)

Chris

It’s not quite that simple. The door of that ammunition bay needs a little editiing.

David

2 Likes

Oh God, here we go again.

:rofl:

1 Like

According to the schematic in Tanks Encyclopedia, RFM may have gotten the stowage correct.

That diagram in “Tanks Encyclopedia” was drawn up by British experts examining Tigers in the UK during WW2. “Tanks Encyclopedia” tell us this, they quote its source as “STT Report 1944”.

So, nobody at “Tanks Encyclopedia” has checked the validity of the diagram.

Now, those British technicians had a Tiger in their workshop, so you might expect them to get everything right when they draw it. But it’s also possible to make a mistake, to see something on the right side of the tank and assume that the same goes for the left side. Especially if you don’t see any reason for them to be different.

Researchers have examined two surviving Tigers (Bovington and Saumur). We trust the actual tanks more than we trust a German drawing, and we trust that even more than a reverse-engineered British drawing.

The bin at rear left is drawn the wrong way around here. And, in fact, you would expect it to be the other way around, because the wider ends of the shells should be put in the wider end of the space.

But then, why was the ammunition on the right side reversed? Isn’t that side a mirror image of the left side?

It’s not. The right rear ammunition bin contains the tank’s antenna lead and the electrical adapter box for the antenna. They are in the extreme rear corner of that space. The crew might need access to them, and that’s a valid reason to reverse the ammunition in that area only.

David

2 Likes

Okay, I was wrong. But I still do not appreciate rivet counters. Ruins the hobby for me.

1 Like

Ruins it for most people I would imagine.

Sorry I don’t understand your logic - you come to the forum making claims about possible inaccuracies about a kit, and then when you get feedback about the accuracy / inaccuracy you comment that rivet counters ruin the hobby for you. If you don’t care about accuracy and claim it ruins the hobby, then why did you even raise the whole matter? What’s your point?

1 Like

Broken record much?

1 Like

Oh the irony…

I know you love your rivets, so your response isn’t suprising. He didn’t ask for feedback, he merely made an observation and got unsolicited feedback anyway, so its no wonder rivet counters get his back up.

A bit like those annoying people in the office who overhear a conversation across the way but feel the need to walk across and add their two-penneth even though they weren’t part of the original conversation in the first place.

If you don’t want people joining in conversations on a public forum, you should use the private message option. Posting something on a public forum is pretty much the equivalent of asking for feedback. If you don’t see that, probably best that you turn off your modem.

2 Likes

I think you’ll find that its the (perhaps unintentional) percieved condescending nature of the unsolicited feedback that annoyed the original poster.

It would annoy me, thats for sure.

I didn’t make the original post or respond to the feedback. Only those getting upset on behalf of others as usual have followed it up, but I could see it coming, which is why I posted.

What’s a modem?

I’m quite familiar with David Byrden’s posts here and on other forums, but I fail to see them as condescending. That’s one of the problems with forums such as these. It’s easy to read things with a tone that isn’t meant to be there, particularly if people already have an opinion about the poster.

Either way, I’m far from a rivet counter. I can live happily with small inaccuracies, but I do enjoy knowing which inaccuracies there are, so I can decide for myself whether I want to fix them or not.
At the end of the day, without rivet counters we’d still be building Tigers with symetric turrets.

6 Likes