Ridley Scott's Napoleon Movie - what did you think?

Ridley Scott’s Napoleon Movie - what did you think?

I’m about half way streaming it on Apple TV, watching in half hour installments. I can’t stay awake beyond about 20 minutes unless there’s a battle scene. Those are extraordinary!

Would like to hear your thoughts.

4 Likes

I’ve never actually cared that Scott’s name was attached to a film. The only film of his I’ve ever rewatched has been Alien and certainly not because of him.

I don’t have anything against Joaquin; he’s a good kid and has come along way from the 15yo skateboarder I used to see in downtown Gainesville, FL, when I was hanging out at the punk club there. His sister, Rain, I absolutely despise and the sentiment is mutual as we never resolved our big argument of 35 years ago.

So no; I haven’t watched it.

2 Likes

Sounds like a couple of entertaining stories are lurking in that, care to share?

That’s pure gold right there :white_check_mark:

2 Likes

We saw it over Christmas and despite some good battle scenes, we left largely disappointed. Too long, too slow in pace and Napoleon just came across as a bit of a weirdo to me. Admittedly, I don’t know as much about him or the history of the period and battles as I would like (I’m fairly certain though that Waterloo was not fought on top of a hill in trenches). And I wasn’t keen on the portrayal of Wellesley. He was turned into a sneering pantomime villain.

Maybe it would have been better to focus on a particular campaign or period rather than trying to tell the entire story of the man. There was a lot to pack in and I don’t feel like I’ve learned anything about Napoleon as a man or the war. I think I would be better off watching Sharpe.

I think it’s a clear case of a delusional and egotistical director being given far too much power. Scott is a notoriously difficult man to work for, but be usually delivers. Alien, Gladiator and of course Blade Runner are firm favourites of mine. Here he didn’t though. His attitude to critics of the historical accuracy is quite telling. He’s gone down in my estimations.

5 Likes

Having just finished it there today I very much agree with your take on it. The battles were expansive and engaging- that sort of action is what I think Scott does very well. But the bits in between let it down- I just kind of wanted the next battle to come along so they would stop talking!

4 Likes

Agree with the others. Battle scenes were awesome. The rest should have been called Napolean & Josephine. Still - great costumes and scenery.

3 Likes

Ridley missed the boat with this movie.

Only the battle scenes are good. Found myself wishing the Marquis de Sade would show up and make something happen when they were away from the battlefield.

The whole mess seems disjointed and unrelated.

2 Likes

Saw it at the movie theater when it came out. I thought that it was good but not great. Certainly not in the same league as Gladiator or Blackhawk Down for one of Mr Scott’s films.
I do want to watch the Apple TV version sometime to see what footage was added.

3 Likes

I thought the bio parts of the movie, I watched it last Saturday night off APPLE +, were at times a little long and somewhat boring. But I get the movie is a bio and the movie gave the viewer a large picture of the life of Napoleon. The battle scence were epic ! J. Phoniex was good in the role of Napoleon and so was the supporting cast, the actor who was Josphine did a very good job as well.
Most Ridley Scott movies I have enjoyed over the years. , Kingdom of Heaven, just re-watched this the other night off cable, ALIEN, has to one of the best sci-fi/horror flicks ever done ! Just my two cents, Mike.

3 Likes

Absolutely. I’ve watched Bondarchuk’s Waterloo so many times over the years I’m pretty much word-perfect on the dialogue. The odd thing is, horse-and-musket is the one period of wargaming I’ve never really got into…
Also oddly enough, Scott’s first-ever feature film was the superb The Duellists, a brilliant example of how to cover the entire span of Napoleon’s wars on a miniscule budget!

Cheers,

M

5 Likes

The Duellists is one of my alltime favorites.

4 Likes

I’d give Napoleon a C+. Considering that for me, every other single film of Ridley Scott’s has been a solid A+, not a bad average.

1 Like

Since I’m not familiar with names of actors I had to look the names up.
Reading their bio’s I can understand that they changed their surname to Phoenix,
it’s a LOT better than their previous surname, especially with the habit in some countries to say the surname first …

1 Like

Go straight for “Waterloo” superb film, and exactly what you’d expect the British officer class of the day to be like. Brilliant film

4 Likes

Haven’t seen The Duellists myself, but do keep a look out. Waterloo is a brilliant film. One of problems I felt with the battle in Napoleon was it didn’t give a true sense of the scale and it was all over in minutes. Heck, I’d even say that Sharpe’s Waterloo did a better job and on a comparatively tiny budget.

4 Likes

Lord Uxbridge: “By God Sir, I’ve lost my leg.”

Duke of Wellington: “By God Sir, so you have”.

6 Likes

I could see Monty Python doing that sketch,
hopping around on one leg, trousers torn and blood squirting all over the place

3 Likes

Absolutely. It was more about his relationship with Josephine than himself.

I thought it was “ok”, and whether or not anyone cares for the actors or director is subjective. Joaquin Phoenix is one of America’s best actors, extremely talented. Ridley Scott is sorta hit or miss but I really enjoy his Sci-Fi features and he has done spectacular work on other films. Like I said…Subjective.

2 Likes

I do know what you mean, but in a way it warrants no pastiche I feel. Wellington maintaining - true to his class - a veneer of English understatement and stoicism - that mythically went down in history.

I understand the actual conversation was slightly different, but the story is good enough, representing as John said, the officer class of its day.

4 Likes

Possibly the best scene in the film …

On the Duke of Boots … When I was running the round the world Household Division sailing trip, I had to brief the Maj Gen Household Division (London District) a couple of times a month and these would normally be in his office or the Adjt’s next door. I became quite intrigued with his office as I seen the window so many times on trooping the colour, and during my visits begun to notice all the history in there…During these visits I got pally with the House Sgt Maj of the Horse Guards building where the office is and he invited me back with a few friends a few times over quiet weekends or when the MajGen was away and to say its pretty awesome is an understatement… The MajGen still uses the Duke of Wellingtons campaign desk as his daily desk, and to be able to look it over it pretty cool… In the room there are priceless bits of history, a 10 to 12 ft tall oil painting of a Grenadier Guards Col from about 1850, which was lost for about 25 years and then they found it in one of the basement tunnel systems under the building… Value north of 300 to 500k… Then there’s an original letter from Florence Nightingale on the wall, a letter from Churchill to Roosevelt about DDay…loads of other bits as well… Including a very cool paperweight…Very cool office … Probably best in London I reckon

6 Likes