Rigging Basics (or how to spoil your eyesight!)

Ar you using that Bondic UV glue that’s clogging up my Facebook or something else? Oh, it might be something different in England. :wave:

Put a pic of the pack up a couple of days ago. Called 5 second fix, includes a cheap UV torch for £3.50 on eBay. This stuff seems good but it might be worth seeking out a branded version. It does have a slight aroma but not too strong.

I’m just a bit corfused about this. Are you gluing each wire three times? As I understand it, you run the wire through the wing loosely, place a drop of the UV glue on the wire then pull it through then cure with the light. OK, fair enough.

Next you pull an already tight wire tight & seal it again with CA glue? I musta missed sumthin sumplace!

The wire is finished with another drop of CA on the top surface of the wing? It is CA here, not the UV?

Paul

Fair question, no only twice, if using uv glue, thread, apply glue, tension, show it the light, then put another blob of uv on the outside and set that off. This is a bit belt and braces but the outer blob adds strength and fills the hole.
Or, thread, tension, apply ca glue, wait, cos the stuff takes longer to go off than you think, even though it sticks your fingers together instantly. Remove tension and again I put a bit in the other end of the hole. I haven’t tried uv inside and cyano outside.
Reading it again I missed a word out, “If using cyano…”

Very good thank you, I think I have it now. I have ordered a UV glue set as you indicated. I like the idea of having some time to work AND being able to quickly set the joint.

I have not been fishing in decades but seem to recall that line was sold by the weight of fish it was able to reel in. What gauges or weight of line is appropriate for 1/48 and then for 1/32?

Paul

You rigging guys are a different level of model crazy. :+1:

1 Like

I like 7lb or 8lb for 1/48, 4 lb for 1/72, never built a 1/32 but guess 8 or 10lb should be ok. You can make it look thicker by colouring the line once finished using grey paint pens, artist shops or The Works in the UK have them

Mark, I have seen that Bondic, looks expensive, here it is £17.99 a pack, I paid £3.50 for the 5 second fix. I think research is needed. In principle the uv glue looks good, I don’t yet know how it stands the test of time

1 Like