Rust on AFVs

There will always be some rust. All vehicles have steel bolts, where the paint gets chipped by wrenches and then rust in the elements.
I saw it on our aluminum M113s back in the day

1 Like

The problem with over weathering is, at least in the US is CARC is hard to chip. the crew walking on it isn’t going to wear it out. It takes months or years of abuse to do that like in the earlier Abrams pic. Yes you a going to have gouges and scrapes. For the Abrams, bent fenders scraps along the lower hull and scrapes along the skirts are a norm. Bent bustle back bars and missing or bent front fenders
. At least in the 90’s vehicles were generally painted every 3 to 5 years. CARC becomes less effective with the introduction of petroleum products and age. Also there is a lot of hand painting going on in Europe right now, so mix and match desert and /NATO Green is a good mix.

OUCH.

Monet, et al, would beg to differ.
That said, you made me laugh.

1 Like

Agreed & that was an awesome piece of clickbait consigning all Impressionists to the recycling bin…so what the – am I doing here? Well, I don’t think comparing model-making to Art has any legs. The former typically relies on representations of objects that can also be seen in photographs, and/or in real life. The latter relies on the artist’s “take” on something few if any have seen in real life or in photos, so the question of how accurate/inaccurate it was is largely academic. Most artists sit at the subjective end of the spectrum, whereas most modelmakers congregate towards the objective end. Discuss.

6 Likes

Love that second pic! :teapot: :tea: :slight_smile:

Yes Ralph I recall our M113s had rust only on the various fittings attached to it. I remember being given a wire brush by my squad leader on a VERY hot day at Fort Benning Georgia and told to get the rust off certain parts. It sucked lol

1 Like

The above is art, but NOT impressionism. Art is a very wide term, if we exclude impressionism there is still a very wide field to choose a piece of art from.

Another still life:

Advertising (not a still life?):

Still life photo:

A photo of real objects can be a still life. A still life is art. A photo of some plant shown as product information on vendors website is what? Art or advertising? Both?
Imagine that a still life photographer borrows my models to create his work of art. My models are most definitely not art, regardless of which definition of art anyone would try to use.
If I took a photo of my models, would that photo become art or is it still just a photo of rather plain models? What about the photo made by that still life artist/photographer?

Impressionism: Impressionism | Definition, Artists, Characteristics, & Facts | Britannica
I would say that they could paint (or make music)

Comparing model making to art.
I think that some model making (definitely not mine) is a form of art. Many pieces of “art”
do not really reach the level that I would consider art.
The image above is supposedly art, painted by a guy I went to school with (didn’t like him then, haven’t met him since 1979).
Another “masterpiece” by the same “artist”

He has painted the same corner from a few different angles …
Is that art? Commisioned by a real estate agent?

1 Like

Ah Robin, you have asked the question that art students, critics, and lovers make a living at arguing. There is no answer. I made the mistake of taking art classes at a college until I couldn’t stand the BS anymore.

4 Likes

I get the ugly suspicion that the definition of art eventually boils down to:
“What I create is art, the infantile stuff that my competitor cranks out is only
a poor imitation of art”
I could be wrong though …

I met a guy who took acting classes and gave up on it, Now he is a police officer …
Anyways, the acting class got a “homework” assignment, they should try to imagine
what a moss covered rock in the forest feels. Next lesson one of the other students claimed
that she really could feel like that rock and symphatise with it…
Gustav quit after that lesson …

2 Likes

God, shoot me now…

4 Likes

And I am a lucky dog since my wife, who is a research scientist and artist in her own right, regards my modeling as simply another medium and form of artistic expression presenting my take on the world.

3 Likes

Are you attempting to create some kind of performance art ???

1 Like

Trouble is you can only perform it once!..

2 Likes

Why? He didn’t specify where the shot was going to be :rofl:

1 Like

Not sure I am ready to take the “bait” just yet. But…

… as a sweeping /generalized statement, I would agree. No judgement, just an observation.

But (#2)… There is no reason why Art (with a capital “a”) can not be created out of a kit and some of that ineffable mojo that kicks a work into a “higher” realm (for lack of a better phrase).

There, I’ve done it now: I’ve gone all artsy-fartsy. What were we talking about? Rust?
To rust or not to rust… That’s really a question?

IF you need to rust it, go ahead, rust it.

For one night only. Tickets are selling fast.

…to dark?

1 Like

:grin:

4 Likes

I made a similar mistake. The amount of verbal wanking regarding the subjective vs. the objective nature of Art was mind-boggling.

2 Likes

Nope. Nope and no.

I’m not touching that. :rofl:

But, well played.

1 Like