Rust on AFVs

:rofl: :art: Hey I did say up front it was futile to compare model-making with Art. I also used the word “most” & other qualifiers thoughout because exceptions to any generalisation abound, as you’ve shown. What I meant was that artists typically paint things we didn’t see with our own eyes i.e. not present to see what the artist was looking at i.e. to guage how accurate or not their depiction was i.e. whatever, it’s a fruitless exercise.

Whereas we can see (ahem usually) what model-makers were looking at…and seemingly what they weren’t looking at. Or chose not to look at. Which is OK because we’re tolerant…or should be. As long as we’re equally tolerant of those seeking more accuracy.

Wrenching this thread back in the direction of relevance, who knew peach juice was a rust-inhibitor?

1 Like

The IPMS judging rules here in Stockholm used to expressly forbid
accuracy considerations as a judging point. Simply to avoid getting
into debates. Paint with fingerprints or overly large brush strokes
could be judged as sloppy workmanship.
"Want to display a dark pink Pz IV with yellow and blue stripes? "
“Sure go ahead, but be careful with the workmanship …”

1 Like

Based on references stripe color unconfirmed but museum has pictures of pink panzer iv…(wink)

Wartime photo
wqbxfmoqnho51

Promotion to Panther

5 Likes

Hah. I was a platoon leader (mech infantry), so no menial labor for me…

I am a graduate of the Benning School for Boys - Infantry Officer and Airborne courses.

2 Likes

I thought that was the school for girls!?
Ken

That’s the Armor school (now) at Benning, not the Infantry school.

You could be right there!!
When it was at Knox, it was the school for MEN!
Ken

2 Likes

When I was at Benning, in the days of Viet Nam (a very long time ago) it was the school for scared boys… We became men only after we graduated, and if we were lucky, only lost our hearing.

Now Benning is the ”Manuever Center”, for both Infantry and Armor

But it will always be “Home of the Infantry”.

1 Like

And Armor no longer has a home.
Ken

I can’t believe I live so close to Benning now but don’t get to see the vintage armor they have.

1 Like

Referring back about 20 art posts ago. No rust on the main body of the 113s as their armor is aluninum.
Safe from small arms fire and most shrapnel but not all that reassuring when you figure a 50 cal. round will blow right through them.

The photo of the totally rusted aircraft is (I believe) an all steel firefighter training facility and not a real airplane.
We have a smaller version here at our local airport. I will try to get a photo but it is located in a secured area.

2 Likes

You are correct sir … we had a hand built mock up 1 to 1 of a Chinook at RAF Odiham for the firefighters there to practice on … it was just aged rust of various tones and black soot throughout

1 Like

And Knox is now an Infantry Base but unlike a tank training facility the soldiers are not just passing thru briefly. They are billeted there with thousands of resident families needing houses and apartments and groceries and schools and also needing to pay property taxes, etc., etc.

It was a total no brainer for McConnell to know an Infantry base would bring millions$$$ into the state of Kentucky so SURE, loose the tank training facility and the Museum - no problem and spend Government taxpayer millions$$$ for the move.

Guys, that’s not opinion. That is fact.

1 Like

There are actually no combat units at Ft Knox any longer. 3 BDE 1ID was there until 2014. All of 1ID is now at Ft Riley, KS. Ft Knox is now home to a collection of HQ and training units; V Corps (USAR) HQ, Cadet Command, Recruiting Command, Human Resources Command, Reserve Aviation Command, and some other smaller support and training units.

Recruiting?

So now the supreme recruitment tool that was the Patton Museum would have been better off left right where it was, close, open and ACCESSABLE to a major metropolitan area. (Louisville, KY)

Great news!

The recruitment aspect played a major roll in all the attempted proposals to try and get them to leave the Patton Museum right where it was!

How many additional exhibit buildings we could have had by using the $MILLIONS$ they spent carefully moving all that iron tonnage to Benning. (Only a small portion of the collection was ever able to be displayed to the public at one time in the Museum Building proper.)

SNAFU

I’m not sure that’s how I would describe 84th TC.

Not really. It has nothing to do with bringing recruits there or recruiting through the base. It is the HQ for Recruiting Command; so a bunch of bean counters and decision-makers.

I wasn’t going to list every unit, but still no combat units there.

That’s because real airframes made of aluminum tend to leave nothing but ash and slag behind after a fire. It would be a one shot deal to use a real airframe as a firefighter training aid.

Interesting about Ft Knox… all tail and no teeth nowadays.