Fleagle, Bingo, Drooper and, Snork
Making up a mess of fun, Making up a mess of fun
Lots of fun for everyone
Two Banana, four banana, one banana, three
Swinging like a bunch of monkeys hanging from a tree
Hey there everybody won’t you come along and see
How much like Banana Splits everyone can be
Tra la la, la la la la, tra la la, la la la la

And, yes, I’m old enough to remember them.

8 Likes

It was the summer school holidays morning show for years …loved it.

1 Like

Wow, you guys are old.

I always liked the cuckoo clock.

Cheers,
Colin

1 Like

I think the phrase you were looking for is ‘suitably aged’, or ‘well seasoned’. :grin:

2 Likes

You are quite correct and I humbly request the forgiveness from the venerable elders. :innocent:

2 Likes

lol … forgiven

Ok, where can I find the Banana Splt figures to put in the buggies? My inner child wants to go back to those days!:blush:

2 Likes

Aurora released a 1/25th kit which had the 4 figures in it and options to make any of the 4 buggies:

Good luck finding one…

4 Likes

Hi all,

Following hard on the heels of the excellent (imho) ‘Space 1999 Moonbase Alpha and UFO S.H.A.D.O. Technical Operations Manuals’ previously mentioned in this thread comes a third book in the series…this time it’s ‘Joe 90’.

I appreciate that ‘Joe 90’ isn’t everyone’s favourite series, but it did have some FAB hardware. So if the book is anything like the previous two and you’re a Gerry Anderson fan, it might just be worth adding it to your collection…mine is already on pre-order, :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:.

Cheers, :beer:,

G

3 Likes

Hi all,

A new edition to my collection of diecast Space 1999 Eagles and other craft/vehicles (see original photo of collection below).

The new addition is a ‘Swift’, I think it only appeared in one episode of ‘Space 1999’, that being ‘Brian the Brain’, but it’s a nice looking craft.

The two large ‘orange’ booster tanks are detachable.

Here she sits in my rearranged collection.

The Eagle on the top-right shelf isn’t broken, it’s detachable.

G

8 Likes

That is a neat collection G … I was quiet envious when I saw it all in your den… The book looks fun as well…those series did have loads of really out there vehicles for land, sea and air …:+1:

2 Likes

Hi all,

Again, not strictly model kits, and for that I apologise, but these little beauties arrived today, :slightly_smiling_face:.

Each Eagle is about 5" long, their pods are detachable, and there are 5 variants:

1 - Transport Eagle.
2 - VIP Eagle.
3 - Rescue Eagle.
4 - Laboratory Eagle.
5 - Cargo Eagle.

The best part of it is that I got them for half their normal price as the producers were having a sale, yesssss! :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:.

Apologies for the reflection from the packaging, but I will take some more images once I’ve had time to unwrap them, if anyone is interested.

G

9 Likes

Definitely… A good bargain there mate :+1:

1 Like

It took me a while to find the small Eagles in your picture. Catacombs. Product Enterprises. I have not looked at those sites in over a decade. :slightly_smiling_face: There was a time I would have immediately taken advantage of the same sale. The Eagle is still the best science fiction spacecraft ever put on film. However, history has taught me they would languish in a closet. If another Eagle ever comes into my life, it will probably be very big.

Edit: You can find the small scale Eagles from the post above on the 16 12 Website. As of this writing, they are still half off.

2 Likes

I agree with you regarding best spacecraft Doug, I also agree about a large scale version, :slightly_smiling_face:. I’d baulked at the cost of their 44" scale Eagles, as I recall they were pushing the £2,500-3,000 mark, and then SWMBI said if I wanted one I should get one, her treat, :thinking:…of course, by the time she said that, they’d all been sold as they only did a limited number of each, :face_exhaling:. I suspect she knew that at the time of offering, :angry: :laughing:.

G, :beer:

1 Like

Some images of the micro Eagles unpacked, :slightly_smiling_face:.

Given that they’re only just over 5" long, they’re not too badly detailed, imho. The launch pad lights work, as does the docking tube, there are also sounds…not that I’ll use the functions, I always forget to remove the batteries, :face_exhaling:, and everything ends up corroded, :angry: :grin:.

The two small Eagles on black bases in the background are the Konami candy toy versions.

G, :beer:

7 Likes

They look really nice … Great addition for the collection mate :+1:

2 Likes

Definitely sweet looking Eagle’s!

2 Likes

I was looking at your collection and it occurred to me that an Eagle is essentially a flying HEMTT. If I were in the Eagle business, there would be alien containment, cruise missile launcher, electronic warfare, gunship, LASER, SWACS, tanker, and wrecker pods, For the spine, there would be cargo, crane, fuel, electronic counter-measures, missile rail, and SWACS dome units since the spine essentially functions as a giant ordinance hard-point.

I would also add a cage that attaches to the spine, allowing two, three, or 4 Eagles to connect to one another, spine to spine, and tow very heavy objects. Pods should have a roof hatch that connects to a docking couple, just like the side doors. This would allow people to move from Eagle to Eagle through the roof hatches and a spine mounted, I, Y, or X shaped docking couple.

Come to think of it, given the massive standardization of shipping containers that occurred over the last 40 years, the Eagle should have a pod that slots 4 or 5 such containers, allowing the spacecraft to deliver and load cargo directly from transport trucks. The next step would involve putting standard sized roads on the moon and developing a truck to do the hauling.

On the subject of size, Catacombs has a good article on Eagle size a and related problems. The authors of that article did not account for two additional problems–plumbing for onboard hardware and shielding against cosmic radiation.

For example, the bottom of the passenger pod includes 4 thrusters. In order for those to function. they need to connect by ducts to an engine, much like the ducting system of the Harrier Pegasus engine. That means there must be a couple feet of space between the floor of the set and the bottom of the passenger pod.

Shielding against cosmic radiation is a huge problem for NASA engineers. Without shielding, cosmic radiation will sterilize a human being in weeks, cause cancer not long after, and eventually result in serious brain damage. At the very minimum, all habitable sections require a couple inches of shielding.

The command module needs to fit a powerful RADAR at the very front, just like a modern fighter aircraft. It also needs enough space for life support equipment, landing legs, and a parachute systems since it essentially functions like the escape capsule of an F-111.

Finally, a moon buggy needs to fit through the side door of a passenger pod. There is no other place for it to go.

Given all those requirements, and the economy of scale benefits associated with size, the 102 and 111 foot versions discussed in the linked article work far better than the small alternatives. The cargo area of a C-17 is 88 x 18 x 12.3 feet. A standard shipping container is 40 x 8 x 8 feet. If standard shipping containers slot sideways into a pod we have never seen before, a big Eagle could haul about 5 of them. I have not done my own detailed analysis and cannot advocate for a specific size. I do know the ship needs to be big.

4 Likes

Hi all,

Another year on, and another episode of ‘Santa’s Gift to an Eagle Nut’, I think SWMBI (she who must be ignored) is starting to believe that I am a certifiable ‘Eagle Nut’ as my collection continues to grow, :thinking: :smirk:.

My latest editions arrived last week, just in time for Christmas, but this is the first lull that has allowed me to post for some time.

These latest editions are from 'Anderson Entertainment - The Official Gerry Anderson Store - https://shop.gerryanderson.com/ ', the first two releases being the standard ‘Transporter’ and ‘Rescue’ Eagle variants, but as you will see below other variants are intended for future release.

Each Eagle variant is approximately 10" (254mm) in length and presented in a quality display box, well protected, and include a display base and a ‘certificate of authenticity’. The inside of the box lid includes schematics and specifications of the enclosed variant, and the reverse side of the certificate indicates the next four variants slated for release - enjoy the images below, :slightly_smiling_face:.

I wish you all a very merry Christmas and hope Santa is as good to you, :grin:.

G

8 Likes