SAS "Pink Panther" Land Rover, Oman in the 70ies

I more or less finished the major parts of the front end. There are still some bits and pieces missing and not all etch is glued properly, but I save that for another day.
I changed the original grill with potoetch parts from Legend and Eduard and I would say it turned out good. It was not easy and I would have done it differently if I should do it again.

All in all it starts to look like a Landrover now…

7 Likes

It’s looking very cool indeed

1 Like

Some more bling at the dashboard. I am finally tackling soldering PE and enjoyed putting the first aid kit together. Did I say I love PE? Photo Etch is not the solution for everything, but on this old kit it really makes a differences. I have also started to add some missing bolts to the body but I will not over do it… All in all, good progress. I suspect I managed to mirror the instrument film but it is to late to fix now. It can hardly be seen with the naked eye anyway.

5 Likes

Question: What kind of ammunition is stored in these tubes?

1 Like

I was initially thinking of mortar ammo ?

1 Like

I suspect they’re meant to be the 84mm ammo containers for the Carl Gustav anti-tank weapon.

2 Likes

Could be, but I am sure the ones I used came in twin containers … saying that, I think the 81mm mortar ammo also came in twin ammo tubes as well … so could be mortar or as Boots said for the 84 Charlie G and they have just made them as singles ?

2 Likes

I think it’s just that the manufacturer has made them as singles; CG rounds were definitely “doubles”. Mind you, I’m no user save I remember it went off with a hell of a bloody bang.

2 Likes

That make sence. I have operated a CG for several years and never seen a single tube. This, however, has caused severe pain in hands and back of light infantry for decades…

I guess the tubes in the kit should be rather easy to convert into it.

I have just realised that this project will take some time…:hot_face: To night I have corrected a few mistakes to the dash board, added some more PE- and resin details an started on the heavily modified rear GPMG. The Engineers who makes the PE sheets and resin kit must be in close relationship to Lucifer himself… It is very fiddly (but I enjoy it a lot)

5 Likes

I more or less finished the two GPMGs using parts from Tamiya, Legend and Eduard. It took a while, but I like the result. Ammunition belts are still to be glued on.

5 Likes

Not very interesting with a Black vehicle, but at least progress has been made.

Next step is some highlights before the pink finish. A lot of equipment and stowage is not yet on the vehicle since I prefer to paint it off the model.

5 Likes

And the pink is back. The base color is what Tamiya recommend and is 10 parts white to 2 parts red and 2 parts buff. For a vehicle which has spent some time under the desert sun it looks good to me. I have also painted the seats and some of the stowage. Still at an early stage of painting it is starting to look like a Pink Panther.

8 Likes

Great job on that paint mix… Fantastic colour and really looks the part :+1::+1:

3 Likes

Any advice on a good color match for service brown for the ammo cans?

1 Like

Looks excellent Erik. That black base coat looks pretty cool itself too.

2 Likes

I agree with Johnny, that is a very effective colour. Far less stark pink than some I have seen. It looks very much like the RAF aircraft pink that some Tornadoes were painted in the last desert jaunt.

2 Likes

As mentioned it is mixed by using Tamiyas suggestion. I assume a bright pink color would fade pretty fast under the Omani sun, and the vehicles would not be “bright pink” for very long.

2 Likes

A bit of work and basic painting done. The Charlie G is from Black Dog and M-72s are from Dragon

8 Likes

Looking good…when you say M72, did you mean GPMG ?
Really like the paint and stowage … Crew look good as well.

1 Like