SAS "Pink Panther" Land Rover, Oman in the 70ies

Lovely work Erik; without meaning to rain on your parade be aware that if not covered in pink paint, Land Rover seats on these vehicles (and indeed, most other standard Land Rovers) were a medium grey colour - a bit darker when new.

2 Likes

Nice to know, thanks. I will re-paint. To much pink becomes very boring.

2 Likes

No, i mean M-72 as in light anti tank weapon :wink:

2 Likes

Yeap… That’s me being a complete doh bag lol…we just always called them 66’s :see_no_evil::see_no_evil::grin::tumbler_glass:

1 Like

Sorry if I came across as too prissy Erik; still a lovely looking model.

1 Like

I figured that out just by looking at them. What kit did they come from?
Ken

1 Like

Yep, 66 mm warhead.

2 Likes

They came from this kit . A bit too modern for 1972, but I don’t think anybody will know…

1 Like

You’r welcome. I kind of knew it, but had a brain fart I guess…

2 Likes

Hello all,
here after two pictures of my model from a few years ago…

4 Likes

Nice looking model; well done.

1 Like

It has been a while since I have done any work with the Landy, but tonight I painted the CG (base colors) and prepared a lot of resin parts for som primer. The CG is not very good. It miss some details like the anti vibration rubber band and the muzzle is neither M1 nor M2 but it is close enough for a prop in the rear.

1 Like

Erik, I wouldn’t worry too much about the Charlie G; there’d probably be a muzzle cover and something for the venturi, plus the sight etc might be wrapped in say, flannelette (the Brit Army’s cleaning material at the time for rifle bores. It came in rolls of white cloth marked off with red stripes (so one knew where to tear it off to the prescribed size) - the latter being invisible in 1:35. Or, or, they may have used some other medium to protect the weapon from dust. What I’m saying is it’s highly likely that the weapon was protected somehow with something, from the ever present dust(!) - this will obscure any inaccuracies I should think.

That said, I’m sure that tucked away - with or without any extras - it will still look the part.

2 Likes

Got the radio in place. I used the PE radio from Eduard and it turned out great. I soldered it together and used veru´y thin lead wire for cabling. I have also done some basic painting to the equipment and made a mock up of the vehicle to get an impression of how this is going. Never mind the paint job, it is still at a very early stage.

4 Likes

Very nice…
Where are the right angel torches from Erik ?

1 Like

They came with the Legend update kit.

2 Likes

Stowage and painting.
There is a LOT of detail painting on this kit. I try to get an hour or so every evening, but all the little details take time. There is still many hours of painting to be done before I can call this one done. I will also make a lot of straps to secure the stowage and there are still weapons and Ammo cans to be done.

9 Likes

That’s the trouble with SAS then and now they pack for any eventuality :grin: … Looks really nice Erik :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Coming on very nicely!

Just for the record the small, roundish containers - painted khaki - suspended from the sides - represent Chaguls, canvas water carriers that facilitate cool water as a result of evaporation; they’ve been used by the British Army since discovering them in India way back when.

We used them in Oman although they were then a dark green colour but this was the mid 80s. The term was quickly bastardized by the linguistically challenged British soldier into “Chuggle”, and that, sadly perhaps, was how we referred to them.

I’m assuming that these were part and parcel of the Legend accessory set?

Anyway, just an historic explanation - not that any has been asked for!

4 Likes

Nice. Interesting explanation. Thanks a lot. I was wondering about those bags.

2 Likes