SAS "Pink Panther" Land Rover, Oman in the 70ies

I started building a base for the Landrover this evening. It is a cheap picture frame «the wrong way» which means I use the glass at the bottom. After masking off the frame I cover the fibreboard witch normally should be behind the picture with white glue and covers it with DAS air drying clay to shape the terraine. The glue is important to make a proper bound between the fibreboard and the clay. When I have the general form of the terraine I brush deluted white glue over the whole thing. Tomorrow it will be ready for some detailing. The black sports is where the tyres go.

2 Likes

I was introduced to those water cooling bags when I was in the Guard by a guy in our unit who had picked up one when he had been a Marine in the mid east. Those bags are quite impressive as to how it cools the water in very hot temps. I could never remember the name, but I sure remember how well they work.

1 Like

Well, hopefully then this snippet was of some use Carlos.

I do aim to please(!)

2 Likes

I´m slowly getting there but there is still hours of painting and detailing to be done.

5 Likes

I remember on one of the coast-to-coast transfers my father made, we had a canvas bag like that hung in front of the grill of our station wagon while crossing New Mexico and Arizona, the intent being to have the water evaporate from the bag, creating additional thermal mass blowing over the radiator for extra cooling. A little digging online shows that these were sold widely in the '40s and '50s, falling out of use for vehicle cooling as cooling systems improved.

2 Likes

That’s building up great Erik… Lots stowage to paint and detail, but it will be worth it :+1:

1 Like

Did some work on the base. After a couple of hours and with base colors on it looks like this.

4 Likes

That looks a perfect setting …

3 Likes

I´m slowly getting there, but the detailing takes more time than I thought. There is still some painting and weathering left until I call it finished. The base need som more work as well, but I´m getting there. Hopefully the next update will be of a finished model. :grin:

8 Likes

Looking very nice mate

1 Like

Thank you. Hopefully it will look even better when finished.

1 Like

That is looking superb Erik. Painting all that detail is what’s making the difference, more time, but bigger wow factor once it’s done. I really like the subtle chipping on the body. Very nice :+1:

3 Likes

Chipping was done with a small piece of sponge.

3 Likes

Pretty in Pink, as they say, excellent!

2 Likes

my favourite method

2 Likes

Lovely work Erik; don’t forget an antenna, although conceivably you’ve left it to last for ease of painting(!)

They may have been in pink with white stripes though I’ve seen nothing to confirm that. The Omani Desert Regiment who I visited once during my time there used that method on their Land Rovers and Pinzgauers and it rendered the antennae invisible in the heat haze. It was pretty much standard practice throughout the Omani forces but this of course was the 80s; however, the Brits did this during the Second World War and since.

I’ve no idea if the practice is still in vogue (with the Brits) though one might think it would be given the substantial thickness of the Bowman antennae, but this discussion perhaps belongs elsewhere.

Anyway, as I say, lovely work.

2 Likes

You are correct about the antenna, but there is not a bowman radio in the model. From what I can see it is a Larkspur A43 UHF radio.

1 Like

No, sorry I haven’t made myself clear: I was pondering if today’s British Army applied any white stripes to their Bowman antennae.

2 Likes

Sometimes they do, sometimes they wont … varies from unit to unit and if deployed … while in Windsor (Clansman sets) we experimented with grey ones for a while, but reverted back to green after a few exercises.

2 Likes

Finished! This one was a bit of a fighter, but summarized it was a fun build. Learned something about the Dohfar rebellion on the way as well.

10 Likes