Scene Around the Track

Did some trainspotting the other day.
GP-9

I think the second loco in the photo was the same one before it was acquired by the grain company.

Ex UP SD-50(?)

Going again today.

2 Likes

Downtown Midway, Kentucky
(My photos)

1 Like

Success. Found five SD units from the FWWR today.

Of course plenty of good detail shots.

Bonus road side tamale stand on the way home.

2 Likes

:smiley:Did you get any pictures of the tamales stand?? :joy:

Seriously, those are some great photos. Thank you. A cool railroad to let you come in and climb on the equipment. I think it’s Rockfish and something down in North Carolina over around in this area, apparently they don’t want have anything to do with rail fans. I read in one of the train magazines or forms one time that a guy actually applied to work there and when they found out he was a rail fan, they told him that they didn’t want his kind around.

G, have you started on your Blitz diorama? I looked for Hornby, Dapol, and Wren ( there’s another British structure company but I can’t remember their name I think it’s a two-name name.) for building another construction work immigration that couldn’t find one.

I really like their logo, that blue decorative bar over the railroad initials with the name actually spelled out. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that but I really like it.

That’s one of the things that attracts me to this road.

Went train spotting again today. I found the FWWR office at Hodge Yard in Fort Worth. Seems like I’ve already photographed half of their roster now.
Sundance Kid appears to have had a bit of a mishap:

Miss Molly is down in Dublin. They’re going to roll her up to where I can get photos next week. Looks like Cream Soda at the country’s first Dr. Pepper bottling plant, photos, and then lunch in Hico, where some say Billy the Kid lived until 1950.

1 Like

Car ferrys are cool. I have plans to model one some day but it is priority 925,743 of a zillion ideas.

RJ Corman has the contract for switching at the Eastman Chemical plant here. I wonder why they never brought their Chinese steam locomotive down here? LOL

Sundance looks like he was Dancing in the Dark and ran up alongside something bigger and heavier and harder than him.

The mishap affected Hood County as well. Somehow the rear of Sundance kid and the front of Hood County are also boogered up. I wonder if they rammed something so hard that it had a chain reaction.

Since RJ passed the big steamer hardly ever moves. I believe that they used it last on a Derby Day special from Lexington to Louisville.
To my knowledge it now sits (well protected and in fine running condition) in a modern enclosed engine house in West Lexington, Kentucky.

All photos by the author ~ All Rights Reserved

2 Likes

The old Midway, Kentucky Depot (now a remodeled bank) and the RJ Caboose used as a Visitor’s Center.

Visitor’s Center, Midway, Kentucky.
All photos by the Author ~ All Rights Reserved

2 Likes

Beautiful little 2-6-2 on static display in the Riney B. Park in Nicholasville, Kentucky:

Photo by the Author ~ All Rights Reserved

(Smoke and light have been digitally added.)

2 Likes

Always good when Trainspotting leads to a “twofer" - military and the newest additions to the FWWR roster, a pair of Triclops SD60’s.

Interestingly, Luke Short is the man who shot and killed Courtright.
I’ve suggested Bonnie and Clyde for the next two acquisitions. We’ll see.

1 Like

Nice shots! Bonnie and clyde, I like that idea. What about Judge Roy Bean question where do they stick with people who are associated with the region they traverse?

It just seems top be something they do. Bonnie and Clyde were notorious in the area. In fact there’s a general store my wife and I frequent where they used to go for ice cream. That’s supposedly why they never robbed the Citizen’s bank across the street, which was unfortunately torn down a few years ago.

Miss Etta, unit 2011, seems to be named after the girlfriend of the Sundance Kid.

The only other two named after people are Kid Curry, who ran with the Fort Worth Five gang, and Wyatt Earp.

Maybe with the railroad bridge diagonally over the A4 base?

1 Like

Mike, either I’m suffering from missing time or somehow I missed the steam engine. I saw the 262 when you posted it but I don’t remember the Chinese loco. Great photos. I’d like to see it run.

1 Like

When I was gathering stuff for the initial “Anything Goes” Railway Group Build (to which, in the end, I contributed nothing) I picked up a length of straight track which measures about 13 inches/33cm without end connectors and it does fit pretty much exactly on the diagonal between corners of a sheet of A4. I also picked up this as I wanted it elevated over a canal (Ignore the illustration and blue product description, the link takes you to the correct product):

This explains what you get:

Regards,

M

1 Like