Sci-Fi & What If VII Campaign

:crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers: for you Stephen

:vulcan_salute:

Stephen, sucks with the decals. Good idea to find another solution instead ruining your sharp work.

1 Like

Littorio, cool choice! I build one a couple of years ago. Good kit although some resin needs to be straightened out.

I worked with clear resin for the force shield. Took forever, but pretty satisfied with the result.

6 Likes

Love that force field effect Jesper. Looks great :grinning:

3 Likes

Thanks Jesper. I ordered the replacements from CultTVman. Never ordered from them before, but I have heard positive things. Had email confirmation that the decals have been posted today.
With any luck they will be with me soon.

1 Like

Iā€™ve ordered from Cultman a time or two. Never had an issue with them or Starship Modeler.

1 Like

Dave, SSM are very good. Iā€™ve had stuff arrive from them within 4 days to the UK in the past. Things are taking a bit longer these days, so weā€™ll see.

Thanks for the comments, Guys.

Looking forward to see how the new decals work, Stephen.

Very nice Jesper, love the force field effect, Iā€™ll be doing something with mine, just planning at the moment until I get this one finished. These are my own ā€˜Houseā€™ colours that all my knights will be painted in.

Stephen, shame about those decals but as you are doing, best wait for the replacements after the work youā€™ve done.

3 Likes

Cool looking mech (if thatā€™s the right term). Black and yellow always makes for a good contrasting finish.

This morning Royal Mail delivered a ransom note for my decals. Duly paid, they should be in my hands over the next couple of days. I think in total it has cost me more than the kit originally did. Will be worth it though.

@phantom_phanatic I too have recently received a ransom demand from organisatio, so I feel your pain.

1 Like

Itā€™s the 8 quid ā€˜handling feeā€™ I find most annoying, more than double the import tax I had to pay!

I just wish I could find someone in the UK stocking aftermarket decals and accessories for sci-fi. But itā€™s so niche, itā€™s not going to happen.

1 Like

@phantom_phanatic yeah the ā€œhandling feeā€ or we want to be paid twice for doing the same job really does get my goat.

I agree getting accessories for sci-fi stuff here in the UK can be quite a challenge.

Only 8 GBP in handling fee. You Got it easy. In Denmark it is 21 GBP in handling to pay VAT of 4 GBP(!) Just had that bill 4 days ago :roll_eyes:

What I think is the worst is that one cannot prepay the taxes/VAT in advance, so there is no alternative to getting ā€œcaughtā€ in customs handling fees.

In any case, great that you got your decals :+1:

1 Like

@SGTJKJ the royal mail ransom demand is two fees and not one. the first is a handling fee and the second is a tax fee. so he wouldā€™ve paid more than Ā£8

1 Like

Nearly Ā£13 in total. The cost of p&p was a fair bit too.
Iā€™m dreading the thought of getting the other decals I need for other AMT reissues and how much replacement decals are going to cost. Iā€™m in two minds to complain as itā€™s not the first time Iā€™ve had trouble with from them.
I recently got the 1/537 Enterprise-A, and seeing this one is more recent than the others, that the decals are better quality now. I might do the little shuttle and try them out.

1 Like

Well, people do not use letters to communicate anymore, so they need to keep their pockets lined somehow!

I recently sent some AFV Club Scimitar rubber band tracks to one of the guys from Armorama that lives in the US. It cost me almost 9 pound ($12 USD) to send the padded envelope and that was surface mailā€¦ that was just under 1/2 the price of the kit cost at my LHS.

By contrast, I mailed an AFV Club Churchill road wheel pair to someone in Australia, and it cost the equivalent of 1.66 poundā€¦

So it costs 1/4 of the amount to collect, sort, distribute, fly, sort again and then deliver to someoneā€™s door 2000km away, than to collect, sort and stick in a shipping containerā€¦

The correct shipping container is where the middleman mark ups get you.

1 Like

Hi all,

i know i am a late starter but i was trying to clear the decks as well as deck the halls lol

so i plan to build a 12 inch version of Marvin the paranoid android from the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy

and here are my starting pictures showing the 3D printed kit in itā€™s bubble wrap and some work done on his headā€¦ i still need to do some sanding but on the whole i would say this is a reasonable facsimile of the manically depressed robot.

3 Likes

Welcome onboard, Klaus. That is a first - very unusual, but cool choice. I guess there is a lot of sanding to do on the parts?

Looking forward to see more of the build.