Sci-Fi & What If VII Campaign

Beautiful build, Oliver!!

I have to check out that site. I could see it being used both for planes and tanks. Thanks for sharing the link.

Really nice work Oliver. Lovely paint work on the Horten.
The hangar diorama looks really good.

Quick update on the BoP.

Painting of the hull is now finished.
To add a bit more colour I painted the shuttle bay and rear airlock doors with Games Workshop Nurgling Green. The inside of the impulse engines got some clear orange to give the impression of glow, then the exhaust shrouds were painted Humbrol 31 Slate Grey.
Contrasts quite nicely with the base green.

Eagle eyed viewers will spot that I’m watching DS9 while working today.

3 Likes

Looks great. Oliver! Really nice and colorful with contrast on the colors from the walls to the Horton to the segmented gray floor. The shades and shadows really make the plane appear larger and realistic depending on the camera angle. :+1:

Very nicely done Stephen, you have some nice clean lines on the BoP, looks great.

1 Like

Thanks John.
I do like the clean and uncluttered lines of the ship. I think the designer of the studio model, Wah Ming Chang, certainly took a lot of inspiration from all those flying saucer sightings in the 50’s and 60’s. It’s definitely a design of its time.

Got some gloss on the BoP ready for decals at the weekend.

Until then, this landed today and thinking of building it next. If I can find some decals.

The kit has decals for panels and stencils, but sadly no airline livery. Probably to do with licensing.

Somewhere in the stash, is the old Airfix Space Clipper. I got it just ready for painting before we moved house. That does have the Pan-Am decals, so thinking of doing another airline. I think the old BOAC livery would look really good on it.

5 Likes

Very cool! Nice choice - a space airline is certainly something out of the ordinary.

1 Like

Thanks.
It’s a really cool looking ship. Unfortunately I don’t really have anything in my spare decal folder that would work as I rarely build airliners. I think I have the old BEA logos from the Airfix Comet, but I don’t think it fits a space plane.
BOAC works well rebranded as British Orbital Airlines Corporation. The gold speedbird and royal blue stripes would look really cool on the fuselage.
I might get a couple of the Airfix Concorde prototype reissues and take the decals from one. An excuse to build that one as the proposed bomber version that was pitched to the RAF.

2 Likes

A Lufthansa bird would be pretty, too.

1 Like

It would. Any of the old 60’s airlines liveries would look really nice. Be tempting to make a whole fleet of them!

The BoP is looking great Stephen. Yes very much a style of the era.

Are these any good to you for the clipper? 1/144 scale but maybe will do for the 1/160th Clipper?
From Europe - (Even had window decals with people in the seats! :smiley: ):

or from the states I assume

1 Like

Thanks Peter.
That’s the sort of thing I’m thinking of. Will have to try to dig out the Airfix Clipper and get it finished. I’m pretty sure it had the Pan-Am decals, but I am doubting my own memory. Good to know I can get them if not.

What I’m thinking of for this one, is something like the BOAC scheme which featured on the early Concorde promotional artwork. Just oozes speed and style of the era.

1 Like

Yes, that is a nice scheme for the clipper too. The old Airfix Concorde kit had that scheme. Most decals you will find will have the falcon logo and BOAC name already on a blue background which may not suit the clipper kit, but you can get some 1/144th scale decals with the name and Falcon separate if you are up to painting the blue yourself:

1 Like

Some nice subjects going on here, the TIEs and the Horton and I do like the Clipper idea

Well here is the obligatory box photos before I start my build.
It’s a Cerastus Knight Lancer from ForgeWorld, lots of resin and not cheap, so here’s hoping I make no mistakes. I should be making a start on this soon.

Oh and it should look something like this when finished although in my own ‘house’ colours.

4 Likes

Looks really impressive, will enjoy seeing this come together. Very different indeed.

Cool looking kit Luciano.

I started work today on the BoP’s decals. As nice as they look, these are some of the worst decals I have ever had the misfortune to work with.
Thin, stiff and refuse to conform to any any curve. To make matters worse they crack on contact with the surface of the model, turning into a jigsaw puzzle. They also seem to be resistant to setting solutions. Have tried Microsol and set, Gunze Mr Mark Softener and Migs solutions. All to no effect. I remember having the same issues with the reissue Vulcan Shuttle decals a few years ago. I don’t remember the original issues having these problems. Quite the opposite in fact, they were a pleasure to work with.
This is as good as I could reassemble the upper wing decal. Have done both upper wings but will leave the rest till I can find a solution to this problem. Seriously considering going to the extra expense of acquiring aftermarket sheets for the other kits in the stash.

2 Likes

Not too happy with how the decals have dried. Some of the black edging is chipped and my repairs aren’t very straight. Some of the edges are a bit wonky.
I’ve just ordered the JT Graphics replacement sheet. Their decals are much better quality. Until they arrive, I’ll have to put the BoP back in spacedock.

2 Likes

I think you have made the right call Stephen, you have put to much into it now and given it some lovely extra detailing to be let down by dodgy decals.

1 Like

Thanks John. I should have known better having had the same issues with other AMT kits.
Hopefully I should be able to remove them with masking tape without damaging the paint.

1 Like