Scratch Built & Conversions

Never did much scratchbuilding other than replacing broken parts, etc. But currently planning a conversion of a Mustang Mk.1 or P-51 to the Mustang prototype and it’s been more fun than any other model. And the plastic hasn’t even come out yet! It will require a lot of scratchbuilding on the radiator scoop, which was totally different on the original.

Looking forward to it. It’s also got me thinking about trying to replicate and scratch details on some planes I’ve flown in real life. It really opens up a whole new world, and it was the PLASMO youtube channel that kinda opened my eyes to what can be done.

Scratchbuilding isn’t dead. It’s just not a necessity anymore.

3 Likes

Well Ryan has thrown down the gauntlet to prove scratchbuilding ain’t dead (as did Ski directly to me on another thread that shall remain nameless) but I don’t want to muddy a thread that may only be showcasing current builds(?) On the old Armorama I s/built several components for Operation Anthropoid which newer members may not have seen before & I still have progress images.

However if this is current-builds-only I’ll butt out, with just a caution to those considering this potentially hazardous aspect of model-making. Never cut towards your other hand…

:tumbler_glass:

7 Likes

True, so very true! On the other hand, most of us have at least a few “battle scars” from our builds.
Ken

4 Likes

Bloody hell!.. It’s the blunder from Down Under!:drop_of_blood::upside_down_face:
—mike :grin:

3 Likes

Please let us not limit this to new builds only or I will have little or nothing to show!

Tim, Angel and Gino just have too many great builds under their belts to not let us see some of them all over again!

1 Like

Yeah that really was a cut above the rest, too scared to take it to A & E in case they recommended amputation, I’d done most of that for them. (I forgot the other caution, never trust balsa to have consistent density)

1 Like

I’ve CA glued more than a few finger cuts like that……

2 Likes

The man did say “current projects.” … So only freshly cut appendages, please.:drop_of_blood:

—mike :grin:

3 Likes

I have plenty of pictures like yours in my modelling folder, Tim…

It’s hard to tell which itching is harder to bear- the one from the healing wound, or the one from not being able to catter the desire for modelling.

I wish you a speedy recovery!

Cheers,
Angel

1 Like

They used CA glue to close the two huge vertical incisions left after doing my knee replacements. Worked like a charm!

Heal fast!

1 Like

Thanks Angel that was a while ago, the only problem now is it doesn’t take the cops long to match my fingerprints. Never thought of the CA trick, I just taped it tight & didn’t look at it for 3 days when that photo was taken. Naturally it was a brand new blade about 30 seconds old.

2 Likes

So for the record, one I am not a thread nazi or wanting to be the “campaign manager” for this thread. I like to see white plastic/putty (generic terms and not limitations of materials/techniques) of what folks are working on as I think it helps inspire others in conversation about techniques and how they may want to enjoy the hobby. I think some past builds are ok especially when answering a question but not intended or envisioned to be a repository of someone’s past works. I will let the members figure out the black and white edges of that gray/grey statement.

4 Likes

You still have a company worth of figures to work on that I am sure will have one or two opportunities to wind up here and/or on your project thread. I am sure along that journey you find something of interest that will need some new construction like a bench etc or you might get a wild hair to try and build a little some thing to get the juices going again.

1 Like

Only 24 hours in and already we are off topic and with a disagreement brewing.

My problem with not showing older builds would be that the original thread is now buried in the archives with a substantial number of photographs having not survived the archiving process. (A serious peeve of mine - which is no secret to anyone !!!) Therefore simply linking to the older archived thread does not really do the job here.

Besides if the intent here is to inspire more scratch building then why limit the submissions? This is NOT a campagin, this is a show and tell.

Besides, I really want to see Angel’s German bread making trailer again!

Hey Mike it’s cool, why not start a parallel thread (is that a weave?) for golden oldies like ours? Call it Scratching the Surface? :wink:

Again, why have two threads on scratch building? We are just getting the first one restarted after a long absence.

If we wish to inspire folks to “build outside of the box” and you don’t want me over-populating this thread with past builds then let’s see some more recent work from others here on the site.

Hubba-hubba, let’s get-a go’n!

1 Like

Yeah I know it. By a very weird coincidence this very morning – before I saw this thread – I hacked through the cobwebs into the den and spent a couple of hours tidying up over a year’s inactivity & excavated some fossilised articulated figures. It’s a start, once fumigation has finished.

No problem, current builds only here and maybe Mike & I (& Angel?) will open a museum version.

1 Like

As to starting with a new #11 blade:

My “rule of thumb” is that installing a brand new blade means;

there will be blood!

4 Likes

Read the thread above what you quoted in post 32 plenty of room for you fossils too. :rofl: I guess I don’t habla down under.

No scratch build is a “Museum Piece” to some new modeler who has not seen it before.

I don’t see this thread as being targeted at the established scratch builders but to those wishing to hone their skills, learn new techniques, try something different and “build outside of the box.”

p.s. In my recent rehash of my Mack NO6 build I tried to load it up with explanations and examples of as many scratch building techniques as I possibly could so that it might be a teaching tool to inspire rather than me just showing off some old work.

I would hope the same would be true with this thread.

1 Like