Scratch Built & Conversions

OK I was going more by your opening line in post #1 and I was/am OK with that distinction – besides, between Mike, Angel & I we probably have enough material for our own Forum. Whatever, others have already posted old examples so on with the show.

It’s not targeted towards anyone group. To me all can post. If you have an existing project you want to link too cause say you don’t want to repost it all or use up space with a double posting, cool. You want to build a whole project here, cool. You want to show off something you built and don’t want to start your own thread, cool.

Y’all are trying to build to much around some words a knucklehead scribbled down and not cutting plastic and posting plastic pics. I can guarantee this much thought was not put into those words written down.

2 Likes

FYI ~ I did not start this thread. I left that up to someone else.

If I had started it I would have certainly called for “all scratch builds & conversions” and not just new work.

Can we please get back to posting real work instead of having this debate?

An oldie moldy but still one of my favorites:

Horch Kommandeurwagon: (Kit-bash/Conversion)

This build is a combination of the Italeri Horch Medium Field Car chassis, fenders, and front body sheet metal knitted to a much shortened Tamiya Kommandeurwagon Cabriolet body. ~ (Still not offered as a kit in plastic.)

In real life the Cabriolets were built as simple bonnet and chassis at the factory and then sent off to specialized coach builders to have the completed bodies added.

I had to narrow the Tamiya front floor boards just slightly so the front edge of the doors would properly meet the narrower Horch cowl.

The actual vehicle did not have a rear mounted spare tire (it was carried in the boot) but I just could not resist.

pic_732
The real vehicle
images

The stock Tamiya Steyr Kommandeurwagon Cabriolet shown below for comparison. The Steyr having a much longer wheel base than the Horch. For the Horch model the boot had to be shortened and the back fenders cut into the rear doors.

3 Likes

You are expert enough for me my good friend!!

4 Likes

Danka, thank you.

A Modeling Note Concerning the Steyr:

(This one is Totally Above and Beyond - while actually being underneath!)

The Steyrs were built with a box beam frame which then had weight reduction holes on the inboard side of the frame members. This also allowed the box beams to NOT retain water and rust out.* I wanted to include this detail so . . .

The construction technique:

I used a #11 Exacto blade to form the tapers. Slowly spining the knife between my fingers like a drill.

Footnote* Unlike my 2005 Toyota 4x4 which now has a brand new open “C” channel frame thanks to Toyota.

7 Likes

5 Likes

I like your thinking

6 Likes

I like it. Is that the 1/35 Zvezda kit? Can show/tell me more about the gun carriage?

That’s some impressive bashing!

1 Like

The trailer is 100 percent scratch-built 1/25th scale, same as the gun and protze.

9 Likes

I didn’t twig the larger scale - very impressive!

Yes I missed that too - that it was a larger scale and therefore all scratch built.

Would love for you to give us a little more commentary here, to tell us more on your work here. (You still can go back and edit your original post. - I think you can continue to edit past posts for maybe a month following.)

p.s. Also where are you getting those correct wheels and tires for your build? Are you printing those yourself? That would be worth a thread post here all by themselves!

1 Like

I’ll second that!

As Tom, barkingdigger said in another post we could also start a completely different thread covering just aborted scratch builds, who’s lives were sadly cut short by the announcement of an actual model kit coming to market.

5 Likes

When I used the expression “targeted” earlier in referring to this new thread I did not mean those most likely to post something but rather; those most likely to be interested in what was being shown and in the techniques needed to build it.

That is why I hope we will focus at least partly here on the HOW something was built and not just on what it was that was built.

1 Like

Building Custom Ladders, (and other repetitive parts) ~ Link to Article:

The later posts in this thread about making multiple repetitive parts might be of the most use.

2 Likes

1,100+ hits to this thread in less than 48 hours - not bad for a dying art!

2 Likes

The Venerable Old Tamiya Towed 88:
This barely qualifies as a Conversion.

With just a little drilling, cutting and shaping the forward axle can be made to steer with the towing tongue just as on the real thing.

(I drilled through the front axle kingpins while they were still attached to the main axle structure in order to form the steering hinge. Only after this, did I take a jeweler’s saw and cut out the steering spindles themselves. This guaranteed I had a perfectly aligned pivot hole to insert the new working kingpin (more Evergreen rod) thereby forming the hinge.)

(Which ever axle becomes the “rear axle” when towing, the steering there is locked so I saw no need to modify both front and rear wheel sets for my model.)

And again that is the OLD Tamiya Sd. Kfz. 7 doing the towing duties, built almost totally OOB. The only modification I made was to install civilian pattern front tires.(Resin Aftermarket Also added a few dents to the front fenders.

3 Likes