Scratch built US M75 APC and M44 APC

I scratch built M75 APC around 1996 with pictures and data from the library and the internet. Using the suspension of Tamiya M41. The hardest part of the build was all the angles on the roof and the commanders cupola.

My scratch built M44E1 APC was around the same time as the M75 APC. The hardest part of the build all the angles on the roof and two cupolas in the front plus the curved front to the belly, transmission area. The M44E1 Final version had new motor, new transmission and the side doors where removed and hatches put on the roof and new rubber chevron tracks.

Cheers,
Ralph

20 Likes

Ralph, these are hugely impressive but please finish them off - especially the M75 (one of my favorites).

I am particularly fond of the M75 having tackled a resin version:

but your M44 is screaming out for some final attention.

Outstanding scratching all round!

6 Likes

Hi Brian
Thank you very much for the compliment.
Yes both of them need some more detail added.
I think the final version had no side doors its been to many years ago since my research.

Do you remember who manufactured the M75 APC.

Cheers,
Ralph

3 Likes

Both look very nice. Great scratch-building.

The T18E1 was ordered into production in 1952 as the M75. An order for 1,000 was placed with IHC (International Harvester Corporation) and another, for 730, with the FMC (Food Machinery and Chemical Corporation).

1 Like

These really deserve to be finished,great builds!!

I am a sucker for a great scratch built model and this certainly fits my definition of ‘great’. Outstanding.

Hi Gino

Thank you very much for the compliment and the information on who manufactured them.
They where both a challenge.

Cheers,
Ralph

Hi Bert…Thank you very much for the compliment.

Cheers,
Ralph

Hi Peter… Thank you very much for the compliment.

Cheers,
Ralph

I saw one of these sitting on a range as a target back in the 80’s. IIt had one engine per side right?
Great job BTW
J

Wow….just wow.

Excellent work

Regards Jason

Really top notch scratch-building of some interesting vehicles.

Hi Jerald
The M75 had an engine and transmission pack that slid out in the front of the vehicle for service.
The M44 the engine and transmission was between the driver and codriver. Serviced by removing access grills above or removing the front access panel if necessary.

I think your thinking of the M59 APC. It had two engines one on each side over the tracks.

Cheers,
Ralph

id_m59_pettit_mabry_20060130_049_700
Image7

1 Like

Hi Jason…Thank you very much for the compliment.

Cheers,
Ralph

Hi Karl…Thank you very much for the compliment.

Cheers,
Ralph

Great work and great subjects!

The M75 and its successor M59 are both overlooked, significant cold war subjects that are deserving of some major kit maker’s attention.

I’ve always really liked the M44, too. What a beast!

Hi Michael
Thank you very much for the compliment.
I built them because I do not think the manufacture’s will make them in plastic. I know some manufactures have made plastic kits that I thought would never happen in the past few years.

The M44 Armoured Utility Vehicle carried 3 crew and 24 troops. What a beast.

Cheers,
Ralph

I always wanted to scratch build the M75 mortar carrier and the M59 APC.

I found more pictures of the M44E1 APC.

4 Likes

Some seriously impressive scratch work. :+1: :+1:

Hurry up and finish them so some major manufacturer will do them in kit form for the rest of us. :grin: :grin:

1 Like

There must be something in the water around here 'cause the amount of amazing, inspirational stuff being posted has gone up a serious notch or two of late. :flushed::+1::+1::+1:
Off to find my jaw… It hit the floor and rolled off under the couch. :skull:

3 Likes