Sd.Ah. 115 10 ton trailer from Das Werk

Re: Sd.Ah. 115 10 ton trailer from Das Werk in 1/35th scale
as built by the German company WUMAG (Waggon und Machinenfabrik Bautzen.

I started this thread primarily because the subject seems to have gone un-discussed since the advent of the new site format. (At least based on the recent Armorama searches I have attempted.)

Here is the link to the earlier archived information on this model:

https://archive.armorama.com/forums/276393/

image-1

5 Likes

Some early construction assembly photos:

The Basic Frame:

Front dolly springs and axle:

Towing tongue:

With care taken in gluing, both the front dolly and the towing tongue can remain moveable.

2 Likes

Minor problem: the installation of part H23 is not covered in the assembly instructions:

1 Like

Forward ramps being installed:
These ramps can remain unglued so they will continue to be positionable.

Caution to Modelers:
The decking on those movable ramps can be installed in two ways. The end of the ramp with the wider board goes at the bottom.

2 Likes

Does anyone know by what means the trailer mounted winch was powered?

It could be by electric, air or hand cranked. It remains a mystery.
(My vote is hand cranked.)

(This photo comes from Das Werk’s after-market detail kit.)

2 Likes

On the real trailer these two upper ramps were removable to be used as loading inclines at the back end of the trailer. However there is no method provided by the model to retain these ramps (I could have used small strips of refrigerator magnet) but instead I chose to glue these on permanently to strengthen the upper deck.

18556543655_52bfe1192aCIRCLE

Detailing Hint: As you can see above; there was also an option to leave the rear fenders off entirely. I imagine that in daily use these got dented and beaten up rather quickly. They probably became a hindrance and were rapidly “donated” back to the German scrap metal drive.

2 Likes

Detailing Hint: the real 115 had airbrakes. (not sure about the rear axle but I am sure about the front.) The Das Werk model contains no brake drums at all. I will therefore be scrounging a couple of Deuce and a half drums from my spares box to dress out at least the forward axle.

1 Like

Detailing hint: The front wheel boggie carried an air tank to better support the air brakes on the trailer. I will be adding this easy detail to my 115.

image010ArrowWLgkGhDcropArrow
These two photos are used here for discussion purposes ONLY and remain the property of the original copyright holders.

1 Like

Detailing Hint: These two small seams in the main frame members should be filled in and smoothed with either putty or glue.
The 115 had a continuous double I Beam frame and there should be NO such seam or gap in these two locations. This was simply a comprise required in the molding design of the plastic model.

1 Like

As to those removable front ramps:

This photo has a number of “exceptions” to it but follow me if you will -

• The front deck ramps have been removed in this photo. (Red Arrows)
  • The front ramps have been carried to the rear and are being used as inclines to get the tank up onto the deck.

Exceptions:

• The crew is not using the manual winch on the trailer but rather an automatic winch on another vehicle which is out of the photo to the left. (Even the model provides for this option with a Fairlead set in the front trailer beam.)
  • The crew is also taking the easy way out in that rather than cranking the rear axle all the way down to the ground they have instead cranked it down only so far as to let the deck come to rest on two of the trailer’s upturned chock blocks. (Blue Arrows) This allows them to more quickly release the rear axle and saving them much hard manual cranking once the tank is loaded and they are trying to reattach the axle.

1 Like

Possible Assembly Problem:

Edit - Completely New Post Here

I may be overly simple minded here but I think the Das Werk instructions get a bit confusing at this point: They indicate to modify these two identical parts (F7) into a left hand and right hand version but I don’t think they are clear enough here and someone building this model could go wrong.

As it currently appears in the 115 Assembly Instructions:

They don’t tell you; #1 - these parts are completely interchangeable left to right. And #2 - the long side with the extra flange goes to the outboard side of the trailer deck.
(My first thought was that they were totally interchangeable with NO differences and I almost glued the part facing the wrong way onto the traile deck.)

Again I may be a simpleton here but I, for just a moment, I started to glue these underbody deck braces on the wrong way. I also confused the cuts I was supposed to make and now there is unnecessary play in those hinged ramps on my model>

Perhaps the instructions should read more like this:

2 Likes

I would say it is just a pass-through guide to keep the cable centered.

On this photo you posted, you can see the cable passing through and chocks on the trailer, so the tank is towed onto it.

2 Likes

Oh, and great job you are doing on the kit!

Thanks for the compliment and thanks also for the reply!

The 115 definitely had its’ own winch (powered I don’t know how). This winch was off-set to the right in order to also give the option to thread a winch cable from another vehicle, thru the fairleads, to help do the loading when desired.

Scroll up for a photo of the winch on the 115 (according to Das Werk.)

1 Like

and dat’s da brakes!

I was planning on using the brake drums from the spares bin that I had taken from the Tamiya Deuce but then I came across these resin brake drums. These are out of the “Tank Workshops” resin replacement wheel sets intended for the Opel Blitz truck but they were just too perfect a fit to pass up for this project.

1 Like

Detailing Hint: I noticed on the Das Werk after-market detailing kit that a standard shovel was mounted here on the trailer tongue. An easy enough addition; This one again came from my spares bin - a shovel from the Tamiya Steyr field car.

I plan to add other details as well.

2 Likes

OK, based on this photo from “Car-from-UK.com” it appears there were no brake drums on the rear axle.

Photo used here for discussion and research purposes ONLY.

1 Like

Tanks a lot!

Again I got lucky - had a left over Famo air tank from “Panzer Concepts” that seemed to be just made for this spot!

1 Like

One more shot:

Hate to say it but there should be some form of dual hydraulic actuator cylinders mounted in the center of those brake rods.

1 Like

Michael,
Great build and nice to have you back and sharing your model building with us.
john

1 Like