Sd.Ah. 115 10 ton trailer from Das Werk

Canmedic - I guess I would have been the “supply guy” in your story.

Well there is still some additional detailing I want to do to that upper deck and to the spare tire area. I also would like to improve my abilities to make realistic “oil stains”. In any case I am calling this one done for now!

Loading: -----------------------

And Now Ready to Roll Out! ----------------------

2 Likes

Couple More Photos:

2 Likes

Off Topic
Question: Has there been an absence of military soft skin and supply type vehicles appearing on this site since my departure?

So many people have been commenting here as to being surprised that a “trailer” is sparking such interest - it makes me wonder.

If so I am sure I can help rectify the situation.

Edit: - New Photo
I even do horse drawn “Trailers” / Caissons / Limbers on occasion. (Work in Process)

1 Like

On that same trailer related note:
Off Topic

I am sure everyone is already aware of Das Werk offering their 1/35th scale model of the standard issue German 5 ton military trailer. If anyone is out there building an unarmed Blitz, Ford, Mercedes, Bussing-Nag or Auto Union freight truck then one of these trailers really should be following close behind.

My own kit-bashed Italeri Opel Blitz 4x4 truck and 5 ton trailer, also kit-bashed.
(Built many years ago before such modern and more accurate models were available.)

Edit: - New Photo

2 Likes

Now that you mention the Einheitsanhänger …

I don’t know that it’s an absence per se, @thathaway3 recently rebuilt his entire FA Battalion with I think at least 5 heavily scratch built trailers and the trucks to move them.

I think you’ve just taken the time to put a lot of love and attention into a unique and occasionally overlooked subject when compared to the greater modelling world and people appreciate that.

1 Like

Thanks, Don, but you’re giving me way too much credit! It wasn’t the entire battalion, which would have busted just about ANY bank account, and a spare house to store everything! My plan was to build at least one of every TYPE of vehicle in the battalion (with a couple of exceptions) and at the same time demonstrate that these vehicles and the support they provide are absolutely crucial to the mission of the unit.

Like Mike, I enjoy building these work horse vehicles that are often overlooked but are so important.

The full thread is here:

(Is it any wonder that I’m also a bass player???)

BTW, I’ve been out of the country for the last few weeks, but I’m back in my workshop, so more WIP photos to follow soon!

1 Like

Ok yes I exaggerated slightly. Still bloody impressive though! I’m excited to watch you continue the saga.

The Devil is in the Details:

(Thanks very much Frenchy for this reference photo which I did not have previously! - WOW)

• The red arrows indicate the cranking points used to tighten the load lock turnbuckles. (These are included in the Das Werk kit.)
  • The blue arrow indicates what I surmise to be the cranking point for the manual winch. (This detail is NOT covered in the DW kit.)
  • The red square is what I surmise to be the brake air control valve: "E-brake-Locked, Load Weight-Empty, Load Weight-Full. (This detail is NOT covered in the DK kit.)
  • Finally, the blue oval indicates the opening where a powered winch cable from another vehicle (such as the towing halftrack) can be threaded into, then between the manual winch and tool box, into the trailer’s own fairlead to pull a damaged vehicle onto the trailer. *(This detail is nicely covered in the DW kit.)

67f3940a6Crop

Relative to that control valve as mentioned above: Here is a very poor image scan found on line from the actual 115 technical manual showing these various brake components"

• #1, Air tank.
  • #2. Brake Action Control Valve.
  • #3. Brake Actuators/Cylinders.
  • #4. Assorted other air regulator valves.

2006172_3-1CropNumbers

-------------------------------------

This image shows a powered winch cable from another vehicle (out of the photo to the left) being employed to pull a damaged tank onto the 115 trailer.

Esv0KBWcrop

-----------------------------------------

Another head end image of the trailer. *(Unfortunately some of the equipment we are interested in has been partly cropped out.)

• The blue square and arrow indicates what I surmise to be the manual winch crank linkage.
  • The white arrow would be the path of an auxiliary winch cable (from another powered vehicle) used to pull a damaged tank onto the trailer.

1581785894Arrow
Note some sort of white warning label on the left and right front corners of the trailer.

2 Likes

Another head end photo of the 115 showing these various equipment cranking points and controls:

(Note mixed tire tread patterns.)

1 Like

Missing front ramps :

Early ( 8 ton ?) version :

H.P.

1 Like

Top photo - yes 10 ton missing front end deck ramps.

Middle photo - 10 ton version also missing deck ramps.

Bottom Photo - 8 ton (note curved front step risers) WITH deck ramps.

Thanks for sharing MORE reference!

1 Like

Here is a photo I believe to be the 8 ton version of the 115. Note curved/sloped step risers, vertically mounted manual winch and interesting dual spare tire placement.

Also I don’t believe these early trailers had any sort of adjustable deck ramps as on the 10 ton.

ZyHzEMl
(Photo Credit odkryijca.pl)

(Photo Credit miro-antik2012 - Both photos used here for discussion purposes ONLY)

1 Like

Hummmm . . . . another of Frenchy’s very fine historical photographs!

Maybe it is time for me to buy the really well done AFV Club Bussing-Nag with the 3 ton Bilstein crane to pull this trailer? That would make for a rather attractive recovery pair; the 3 ton crane plus the 10 ton flatbed trailer!

AFV-AF35279 Bussing Nag L4500 3t crane (2)

I was going to use one of my Sd.Kfz. 7s to pull my 115 but I may have to rethink that plan - besides the 7s all have guns to tow!

2 Likes

The heavy Bussing-Nag 3-axle truck pulling the Sd.Ah. 115 trailer.

1 Like

Hey Mike long time eh? Yep fires out, floods in, spouse better, first name still Tim, generally OK & hope the same for you! Just for newbies who wouldn’t know, a blast from four years ago (can you believe that?) when this amazingly multi-skilled guy bailed me out of several problems with his photoshoppery skills…

(Yeah I can still count, we worked on those images originally in 2017) Quality project in progress here, more power to you :tumbler_glass:

2 Likes

Enjoyed the project!

Off Topic

(Models and Photography by Tim Martin)

2 Likes

As to decals; Das Werk includes the entire decal sheet from the combined 115 & Faun combo kit even when just buying the trailer.
All you will need from the sheet is one large vehicle white number, the unit marking and a rectangular license plate for your trailer.
(So lots of license plates left over!)
I must say I am highly impressed here that DW went to the trouble of printing a 3 color decal sheet: white for the background, black for the numerals and red to represent the German Wehrmacht Censor/Approval/Authorization stamp on the license!

These many very cool and colorful license plates included on this sheet will soon adorn a number of my German wartime vehicles.

012-HN-Ar-kits-Das-Werk-Faun-L-900-1.35

Edit - New Photos Added Here
My Horch Cabriolet now sporting its’ brand new license plates:

IMG_2328

IMG_2329

Danke schön Das Werk!

2 Likes

More Potential Detailing Overkill:

I scribed these underside wood areas with divisions matching the wood decking boards above and then painted, stained and heavily weathered these areas that would have shown through as being wooden on the underside of the real trailer.

2 Likes