Sd.kfz.6 and 88mm project

OK bulldozer done, https://forums.kitmaker.net/t/miniart-bulldozer-build/12778/126, onto the next bright idea.

First let me say this won’t be an historically correct build. Sorry. I have this idea based on these 2 images.

Halftrack coming out of the water with the 88mm behind. Artistic license will prevail !!

I have Trumpeters kit #05531 and AFV # 35088. Yep a bit of a load. Thus the struggle to pull the 88mm out over the bank. I like the idea of seeing under the half track as it mounts the bank. Location will be somewhere in Europe!! :grimacing: Yes ‘somewhere’ in Europe.

Any feed back will be much appreciated. Especially info and images of the underneath of the halftrack as it will be very visible. Also feedback from anyone who has built these kits and what I should look out for.

thanks

bruce

9 Likes

Did I misunderstand you? That is a 10.5cm howitzer being towed in the water. Are you saying that you plan to replace that with an 88? I like the idea.
DAKjunkie

Yup. A Sd.kfz.6 dragging a 88mm. Not impossible but! I just like the idea of a Sd.kfz.6 trying to drag the 88mm up the wet bank on the other side. The truth is I purchased the two kits before I realised the 88mm may not have been suitable. But what the heck. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

bruce

1 Like

Maybe you could emphasize the ‘desperate times’ theme by letting the gun have WL (Luftwaffe) markings and let the halftrack belong to WH (the army).
The halftracks for artillery have less seats and a big stowage compartment, the engineer halftracks have lots of seats to transport more engineer troops. You have the arty version …

1 Like

H.P.

3 Likes

Robin my Trumpeter kit has got only the three rows of seats. I know it’s not correct but I wanted to try a Trumpeter kits as I have never built one before. It appears the Trumpeter kit has a few flaws in it but not to worry. A search of the internet comes up with a zillion different versions. Many field modifications.

Frenchy I found this one that was interesting.

bruce

2 Likes

I like this idea. I have a similar “desperate times” scene planned of a horch towing a 5cm Pak uphill being overtaken by a bicycle.

1 Like

The three rows would be right for the artillery coach work.
IF you had happened to get the engineer version instead then the potential for showing “in desperate times” would have been greater. Now you have the arty version and that’s that.
Different style of camo could be another way to make it look like a unit cobbled together from whatever was coming down the road.

Not so far fetched to have the combo of a Mittlerer Zugkraftwagen 5t (SdKfz 6) and a Pak 43, according to Panzertracts 22-3:

2 Likes

BGT has got this type of 88
The pulling power is probably sufficient. The Sd.Kfz. 7 could carry more ammo and AA-units tend to go through ammo faster than AT-units :wink:

3 Likes

Ah, I didn’t check which kit the number was, I took the ‘deperate times’ and assumed late war… I should never assume… :dizzy_face:

Pity it wasn’t the Pak 43:

The Flak 18 was retrofitted with the gun shield as it did not have one early on. Lots of pics of them sans shield. You could drop ‘a few pounds’ leaving that off and it would be more plausible.

2 Likes

or pack it full with passengers, any ride going away from the front was a good ride …

Peter: We all make assumptions, I assumed a Panther when it was obviously a Pz III chassis in that other topic :rofl:

1 Like

OK a quick dumb question. What the quickest way to tell the Sd.kfz.6 from the 7? I’ve read a few sites and nothing seems to be clear cut. And many old images aren’t the best.

Here’s a ? with a nice popgun.

As I said I’m not too worried about historical accuracy. I love the 88mm and the Trumpeter Sd.kfz.6 way all I had to pick from at the time.

bruce

2 Likes

First of all you need to be aware that the aerly types, more or less pre-1939, had fewer roadwheels than the ones in production during the war.
Sd.Kfz. 7 : 7 holes in the outer roadwheels
Sd.Kfz. 6: 8 holes in the outer roadwheels

The image in your post shows 7 holes
This one has 8 holes and is therefore and Sd.Kfz. 6

Anemic looking street pattern front wheels → early war, pre-war or prototype

2 Likes

Also the size of the step behind the front fender?

bruce

Yes. The fenders did change a bit as well but the step size is also a distinguishing feature.
Sometimes the step size can be hard to see due to stowage et.c.
The wheels are usually visible, even if some of the holes can be hidden.
An even number of holes means that it is possible to draw a straight line through the center of the hub without hitting a hole. An uneven number of holes makes this impossible.

Here is an early or a prototype Sd.Kfz. 6

8 holes, large step, fewer roadwheels.
The gradual increase in the number of roadwheels squashed that step and lenghtened the whole chassis.

A slightly later but still early Sd.Kfz. 6, largish step, one more roadwheel but the 8 holes are still there …

2 Likes

H.P.

6 Likes

Looks like Frenchy closed the case :+1:
Please continue with the build.

All that mud might not be strictly necessary but that is, as always, a matter of taste (not actually tasting the actual mud but the visual aspect of how it looks…)

1 Like

H.P.

3 Likes

Nice photo!
Note the different treads on the front tyres.

1 Like