Shep Paine Tribute Campaign?

It’s there a pre-2000 campaign already scheduled that would basically be the same thing?

1 Like

ehh yes… I am doing that one too… But it is a short summer-fun campaign.

2 Likes

Need to go by Hobby Lobby today…

1 Like

There’s one 2014 rebox 1/32 MonoGram Panzer IV in the stash. Seems like that should work for this campaign.

568093-10571-48-pristine

2 Likes

The same… but different. :grin:

2 Likes

If it becomes one…

3 Likes

Maybe no aftermarket items, only scratched pieces. Maybe no kit newer than oh, say 1990?

3 Likes

Era appropriate aftermarket? Or no kits and no aftermarket after 1990?

I have an old Cal Scale 1/32 scale MG 34 from the 1980’s, I’d really like to use on the Monogram Pz IV.

1 Like

If it was available back then, then why not? Of course, it would depend upon the subject. If you were doing a diorama of his workshop then you would obviously need to use the Trumpeter and Pit Road 1/700 items.

1 Like

If, he would have used it then OK on aftermarket items Prior to 1990?

2 Likes

Must submit photo’s of major assemblies prior to painting to showcase the scratch work?

2 Likes

I’m a bit younger than some of you gents, but I do remember the days of flipping through the pages of “Fine Scale Modeler” as a kid in the 80’s. I was blown away by the work that was done and all the kits I couldn’t afford to buy. Back then, I wasn’t aware of Shep Paine or many of the other big names. There was, however, one name that really impacted me and that was Verlinden and the stack of “The Verlinden Way” books.

I don’t mean to hijack the original intent, but perhaps a broader pre-1990 campaign? If not, I’ll be happy to see the Shep Paine inspired work that comes out of the campaign.

2 Likes

I concur. That would be fun.

I still kinda like that high contrast Verlinden look.

I think we have all been influenced by the work and impact of the 'Big 3" Grandfathers of the modelling world:

• Sheperd Paine
  • Francois Verlinden
  • Bob Letterman (who has also passed away - 16 May 2022)

These gentlemen elevated the hobby from a ‘kid’s pastime’ to a respected hobby for all ages.

Maybe a build honouring them all. Build something in their style from an older moulding kit, using just a base kit, your skill and scratchbuilding?

5 Likes

Yes!
A “Grandmaster honorary”-campaign!

Eew and yuk. May be better suited to a zombie campaign. :slightly_smiling_face:

(No offence, I just couldn’t help myself.)

A tribute to one, or all, of the venerated three is a great idea. Personally, I’d like to see the criteria (for lack of a better word) to be somewhat broad, but not too broad. An older (or basic newer released) kit bedazzled with gizmology, a boxed diorama, a vehicle painted ala Verlinden, an EPIC dio in the vain of Letterman, etc., that sort of thing.

Yes, the conditions would have to be quite specific, in order to avoid reasoning such as “yeah, but Shep/Francois/Bob would have used it, had it been available…”

Well, the three of them: Paine, Verlinden, & Lettermen, all showed us inspiration for dioramas & vignettes. If anything, aside from any of Paine’s “gizmology”, there might be some basic groundwork and possibly a figure requirement. Bonus points for cutting up and creating a Frankenstein figure as Shep used to show us how to do… :smirk:

2 Likes

I’m in!

An interesting article by Bob Letterman about his association with Francois, Shep and Lewis Pruneau -

I am in, but a ‘Legacies 1/2’ tribute might take a while…

So I am thinking at a ‘less grand’ scale… :wink:

How about the rules being a kit first manufactured prior to 1990.

Aftermarket produced by Verlinden Productions or VLS Corporation is accepted.

Any scale. Genre - Military Vehicles, Military aircraft, figures and busts, ships.

Scratch building encouraged.

Any paint brand and decals can be replaced if aged.

Model painted in the style these guys did. (No chipping within an inch of the vehicles life or 50 years of aging on a 2 month old tank for these guys!)

Dios and Vignettes also encouraged.

3 Likes