Shep Paine Tribute Campaign?

I do not generally do campaigns. I don’t do well with constraints, timelines, etc…
But if someone were to start this one I’d have to seriously think about it.

5 Likes

Campaign Guru Position Available. Effective immediately. Good hours, but the pay sucks. Surrounded by good, well meaning folks, i.e. good working environment. Jolly good fun is assured. All applicants are welcome.

3 Likes

I like the idea…but I’m drowning in 11 on going builds.

2 Likes

Still trying to finalize a build out of the three M-113 Variants and the M51 Sherman I have for the “IDF 75th” Campaign and start either my T-72B3M or the JLTV for the “Out of The Mold 2023” Campaign.

yeah! My hands are full. :frowning:

1 Like

Yeah, same here, very interesting.
Depends on start and finish time I guess. I’m in one campaign at a time and I can’t ever finish on time :face_with_head_bandage:

1 Like

This is where my campaign builds currently stand:

Tamiya M51 - completely assembled and primed, waiting on paint and details.

Academy M113A3 “Nagmash” -Same as the M51.

Academy M113A1 “Nagmash Pikud” - assembled, waiting on primer.

IMG_5597

Tamiya M3A1 Stuart (Guadalcanal 75th Anniversary Campaign) - Painted, waiting on clear coat, decals and details.

I need to stop building multiple kits at a time and focus on JUST ONE BUILD AT A TIME. :man_facepalming:

6 Likes

As its Shep Paine we’re talking about, it is probably safe to assume vignettes, dioramas, and boxed dioramas are the order of the day. Them things take time. My vote is for a one year to a year and a half campaign.

5 Likes

I had to check out who Shep Paine was and needless to say; I was not disappointed…

5 Likes

Monogram kits only? :wink:

http://sheperdpaine.atspace.com/

3 Likes

Or maybe a diorama using one of the OLD MONOGRAM 1/32 scale Armor kits he would give tips on building. I loved building those old kits. The Brumbarr was my favorite.
Sorry Stikpusher. I was typing my reply while you posted yours.

3 Likes

The first tme I was inspired by his work I bought Bondo and made a cast transmission housing for the Monogram Sherman. Stunk the whole house up. I was 12 or 13.
I used to love the diorama inserts in the Monogram kits.
The C-47 inspired me as well. Back in the day, and even now, where I’m trying to recreate much the same scene in 1/35.

The camouflaged US C-47 on D Day was not common. He inspired me to do that as well. Firsrt airbrushed cammo on an airplane for me at age 20. This was also my first attempt at a major aircraft rework - the scratch built lowered flaps. I was quite pleased.
I’m sure Shep inspired many a modeler from my generation to broaden their modeling horizons.

7 Likes

I have to admit, I would love to rebuild that Monogram B-17. There are all kinds of possibilities with this proposed campaign… I already have two ideas bouncing around in my head.

3 Likes

Yes. But are any of the kits still around? I seen them on Ebay from time to time for Insane prices. Id like to get the C-47 that 18 Bravo mentioned. I built the Brumbarr diorama back in 75 like the one Shep did. Of a Brumbarr fighting in the streets of Berlin in 1945. Id like to try building it again.

1 Like

My local shop acquired an estate of a metric ton of vintage kits from multiple companies, like Tamiya, Dragon, Fujimi, Testors/Italeri, Hasegawa, Esci, etc…

I could keep my eye out on some of those old Monogram kits. Most of my recent builds have ben of vintage Tamiya kits from that estate purchase.

3 Likes

That would be Greatly appreciated. Thanks.

3 Likes

Yes. At least a few of them are still in circulation. The M48 and Panzer IV are currently available at Hobby Lobby

Panzer IV

M48

The B-17 is fairly common to find as well

B-17

The P-61 and B-25J are also still easily found…

P-61

B-25

Most of the other kits that he used take a bit more hunting down

4 Likes

I’ve got so many of them even Molly is embarassed for me.

I’ve got another Skytrain and a few more Pattons around too, just not readily accessible at the moment.

7 Likes

I see we have very similar “issues”.

2 Likes

I managed one… when was it? Last year? The year before that?
Ending on his days of passing. Many joined and it was a good campaign.
I still like the idea, so perhaps we could run one again during the winterseason again.

5 Likes
  1. I joined in that one Ron. It was a great build to be part of:
    https://archive.armorama.com/forums/279486/index.htm

I can’t believe it was 4 years ago…

4 Likes