Sherman Flail tank accessory by Lanmo Model

Hi Peter,

the only sherman that you mentioned is the Auska version but it’s almost £70 compared to the £25 i bought on that internet auction site. it was another £40 for the flail accessories and probably another £10 for decals.

i will just have to see how i get on with the dragon kit when it arrives.

3 Likes

Folks will be happy to help as Dragon instructions are a bear. Some helpful tips can be found across Paul’s site for Dragon kits. Fine Scale Modeling by Paul Budzik

2 Likes

There are probably build reports and reviews out there on the www
to describe the faults and their corrections.

Edit: Selective amnesia also helps …

2 Likes

One thing I’ve noticed is that their kits use what amounts to 0.175 inch (4.4mm) sheet metal for nearly all flat pieces. You can see from Matt’s picture that the wire cutters are around 0.38, if not 0.50 inches thick.

What are your thoughts Matt?

KL

2 Likes

Kurt,
I agree the PE is rather thin and might do with replacing with thin card stock, especially the wire cutters where it is obvious.

1 Like

The Dragon kit IS a M4A4 David. It was designated Sherman V by the British, but is the same vehicle basically. The way they were designated:

For the Dragon kit you will need to add a first aid kit, and maybe British Fire Extinguishers, on the rear hull, as per standard British fit out:

Also, I don’t think the conversion kit has any of the station keeping equipment (the discs on poles) that you need to add too:

The relocation of the stowage box from the hull side to the turret rear is also a consideration.

4 Likes

i might have a spare first aid box, not sure about the fire extinguishers i will need to look.
the station poles/disks on poles i don’t have so i will need to scratchbuild them.

2 Likes

There is a fitting on the hull that the vertical pole part below the disc slides into to hold it when it is folded flat. The horizontal arm also folds up so it is parallel to the shorter pole.

Found my photo of the Legends kit I used that might come in handy for you- keep clicking on the pic to make it bigger:

2 Likes

ok, so i have opened the box of this M4A4 that i bought on the internet auction site.

so i have started stage one, there is some flash on the wheels but nothing serious.

it is interesting to note on the painting instructions there is a colour scheme for 13/18 Hussars in Normandy, so there is an option to do this kit in a possible D-Day scheme but i will need to read up on this unit as i am not familiar with it.

1 Like

The two middle bottom wheels look like they were installed backwards.
Ken

3 Likes

nuts, i see it now.

yep gonna have to pull them apart…damn.

2 Likes

The operative word, right there, no two ways about it
:wink:

1 Like

fixed it whilst having breakfast.

3 Likes

13/18 Hussars were part of 27th Armoured Brigade for D-Day equipped with Sherman DD tanks landing on Sword beach, they continued inland with these then in late July transferred to 8th Armoured Brigade until the end of the war.

1 Like

if they came ashore with duplex drive tanks I’m surprised that dragon didn’t make a swimming kit to fit on this tank.

does anyone make a full duplex drive swimming kit for a Sherman M4A4?

1 Like

Hang on - you bash plastic over your corn flakes? Best to be careful when chewing! :rofl:

1 Like

Resicast used to:

1 Like

didn’t Accurate Armour do one as well or was it this resicast kit?

1 Like

I don’t remember any Duplxe Drive Sherman from AccurateArmour,
but memory …ahem …

2 Likes

yeah you could be right and my old brain is remembering it wrong.

i thought i saw a 3D printed version but i don’t know the scale.

1 Like