Sherman M4A1

Working on this one as well as a few other things . Its the dragon early kit , got off e bay fairly cheap .
Different decals…also got some after market tracks for it .

12 Likes

13 Likes

Looking good. I’m starting my first tank - M4A1 (Asuka, 1:35). What are the after market
tracks like?

1 Like

I used the heavy hobby tracks . Kept falling apart. Not very robust . Once on , look ok i think.

10 Likes

12 Likes

I used some AFV Club T48s on this project of mine. I really like how they worked out.

11 Likes

They look great. I especially like the subtle wear/dirt on the treads, it looks real without being overdone. But that is true of all the paint job. Very nicely done. I have to investigate aftermarket tracks now…

1 Like

They look great, I’ll have to investigate what’s available near me (and try not to pay as much for tracks as I did for the kit!) Road wheels have the life-like rubber - used, not new, totally believable. The air intakes/snorkels are very cool too (love the welds).

1 Like

Thanks! I used Mission Models Tire Black on the track pads and road wheel rims to give that worn look. Black is just too stark on an operational vehicle.

2 Likes

Yeah, a lot of different “blacks” out there for the right job. I’m concerned about painting mine clean. In a perfect universe, the rubber part would be separate and after painting I’d slip them on. I’ll see how I go!

1 Like

Nice camo Johnny. Great looking Sherman.

1 Like

Nice Sherman Carlos. I like the waterproofing. Where’d you get the wading trunks?

1 Like

For VVSS “live” track the AFV Club one piece tracks are really the way to go. Near you, check BNA Modelworld. If you want indy tracks, you can’t beat Panda Plastics tracks https://www.shermantracks.com/

4 Likes

I use Tamiya Rubber Black in my airbrush. I’ve found the easiest way to paint VVSS tracks is to assemble them, then airbrush the rubber black, then pick out the end connectors with a brush and gunmetal paint.

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice and links! Not sure if I should go indy, it’s my 1st tank (not counting an M3 I did when I was 11). Some great paint jobs out there.

1 Like

Thanks Matthew. I took the wading stacks off of the Italeri USMC M4A2/M4A3 kit and modified the intake one to fit the M4A1 engine deck. I got two of those kits and was not planning to use the stacks on one of the kits.

3 Likes

I just ordered Panda Tracks. They seem to have some “beef” and assemble like the real thing. I’m sure it will be an experience. I’ll see how my rubber black and dirt go, and I have plenty of gunmetal. Speaking of which, I just got some more Vallejo black, but must have gotten a slightly different one to normal - I got 70682, which is a little gray. Fine, but it’s also very metallic and quite similar to gunmetal. Like a twin. Anyone notice how metallic and gunmetal-like 70682 is?

2 Likes

I agree on the first two points. With good sprue nippers or micro saw it is easy work. I find building them to be super easy. I get some don’t like the process so I recommend building in sections (10 pads or 1/2 sticks of sprues) with the rest of the kit either at the start or end of a modeling session vs waiting till the end and stalling the build.

With the Vallejo color, are you sure it’s the right number? I can’t seem to find an example anywhere with that number but I also know Vallejo has done some confusing numbering at times.

I typically use Tamiya XF-85 rubber black but for Vallejo colors I like Model Air Tyre black 71.315/Panzer Aces Dark Rubber 70.306/Model Color Luftwaffe Uniform WWII 70.816. You can use Tamiya as the base and Vallejo as an accent color.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice. I got sprue cutters a few years ago, game changer. I used to use an x-acto, and it was always a chore that often damaged parts.

I mixed up the Vallejo numbers. They have a Model Air gunmetal that is 71.072, and a MA black that is 71.073 - that’s the one that seems to be VERY metallic-y. With it being just one digit off from gunmetal, I wonder… I mixed some homemade Olive Drab as a test, and it was gray and sparkly. Pure black worked fine. I was pretty excited about making my own OD. It was fun and kind of mind blowing that black and YELLOW make OD.

I have always loved Tamiya, smooth and rich (how I like a lot of things!), but being terrible with an airbrush (I’m working on it), I didn’t like that it is alcohol based. Not because I’m worried about so mild a solvent, but because of thinning. X-20 is just a little less than a Lamborghini near me/local online. I have a recipe for homemade (alcohol - IPA/Denatured/Methylated Spirits - and a dash of glycerine), but water seems SO easy with Vallejo (I always thin a tad even for the “no thinner needed”). But I shouldn’t be afraid of Tamiya, it’s beautiful. Their black is very satin. I was planning on mixing in a dash of white to make my own tyre black, but maybe I should just buy some.

2 Likes

No problem on the advice.

Model Air 71.073 is sold as a black metallic, so it should be “VERY metallic-y”.

I use Tamiya for many reasons but there are other brands that folks find work better for them, it’s personal preference to me.

1 Like