Short Stirling Nostalgia Build - Airfix 1/72 Original 1966 Boxing

I assembled the frames of the bomb trolleys, but the set of 4 tow hitches was missing from one kit. I will need to scratch up some replacements before I set about priming and painting.

Cheers, D

3 Likes

Work continues on the flight surfaces while I wait for some paint to do the interior. From what I have read the early Stirlings had green interior, which was later painted over with black. I’m going with the green to give the interior a bit of a lift otherwise nothing will be visible at all, and it also matches up with the blue-grey paint on the early support vehicles.

There are some sink marks on the wings around where the locating pins are on the inside, I will deal with them after the first primer coat is on.

I also built up the 4 missing tow hitches for the bomb trolleys from styrene rod and tube stock.

While these cure ready for primer I will start cleaning up the engine parts.

Cheers, D

9 Likes

No bells and whistles on this build, basic interior detail painting and sprayed the SMS British Interior Green straight on to the kit plastic.

Time to button up the fuselage now and start tidying up the seams. I’ve taken a strategic decision to insert the front and rear turrets after main paint to save masking and risking the gun barrels snapping off (inevitable with me).

Cheers, D

8 Likes

Great build Damian.
I’ve often wondered how this one goes together. The bomb trolley and tractor was a nice little addition by Airfix.

1 Like

Thanks for checking in Stephen, great to have you on board! The mating edges are rough, and there is some variation in the thickness of the plastic as well which makes for some ugly joins :pensive:
I’m going to clean them up a bit and maybe some spot putty after primer is down so I can identify the worst areas.

Very happy to say we have an airframe now! :sunglasses:

I was so focused on the gluing and clamping and holding things in position that I forgot to get shots of the completed fuselage before I got the wings in place. Just excited to make these big progress steps I suppose :rofl:

The fuselage is nice and straight and the alignment and dihedral of the wings is great. Apart from the nasty joins it’s basically an nice easy build.

I’m going to use a picture frame for the base with a curved concrete and grass finish similar to this reference shot.

There’s plenty of room on the base for the 2 tractor/bomb cart trains and the Tilly, I will just need to source a few figures to busy it up.

Cheers, D

11 Likes

Looking good D :smile:

1 Like

You’re doing a fantastic job with it. The bombing up diorama will be a great way to display it.
I did the old Wellington and B-17, which are of the same vintage, back in the 90’s and I remember all the same fit issues! Learned a lot about filling and sanding on those builds.

The Stirling was a big Bird for sure D and it’ll look great in the diorama you’ve got planned…:slightly_smiling_face:

Also, I’m envious you’ve the space to display said diorama :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for checking in guys, glad you are enjoying my adventures here!

I’ve managed to get the upper and lower front glass fitted. Not the neatest fit, and it did take some “adjustment”, but they are secure and just need some filling around a couple of spots where there are small gaps. I will use some AK Ultra Glue thinned with water on a damp brush to get it to capillary into the gaps. I don’t want paint to get inside this thing!

Cheers, D

10 Likes

Great progress, D! Beside its natural flaws the Stirling comes together nicely. Did you mention from what year this kit is? I always wanted to see this baby in “my” scale … :slightly_smiling_face:

UA

Thanks Torsten, I’m really enjoying this build with no high expectations for a change!

The kit is the original release 1966 boxing, older than me by 1 year!
Short Stirling, Airfix 682 (1966) (scalemates.com)

How brave are you ??? :thinking:
SHORT STIRLING 1 (sangereng.co.uk)
SHORT STIRLING 1 (sangereng.co.uk)

Cheers, D

2 Likes

Liking it a lot D. Forgotten how many recessed rivets were moulded into the plastic. Amazing how similiar the wing shape is too the Sunderland :smile:

1 Like

Not brave enough, I’m afraid. :blush: Though 53 GBP isn’t too much for a kit of that size. Still have some other challenges sitting in my stash …

2 Likes

I think Foundarie miniatures did this in 1/48th?? And I am definitely NOT that brave! LOL

An interesting fact I read somewhere about the Stirling is that the wings and structure were taken from the Sunderland flying boat. Originally the wings were 112 feet wide but the RAF in their usual way wanted the span reduced to 100 feet to fit through their hangar doors! This reduction limited its service ceiling to just under 17 000 feet. The high wing loading did make the Stirling incredibly maneuverable being able to outturn the Ju88 and Bf110 night fighters, the crews dubbed her the “fighter bomber”.

1 Like

Chris! Great to see you here mate!

I think Fonderie started looking at a Stirling in 1/48 to go with their Halifax but it never got off the ground (see what I did there?). The only quarter-scale release I can find is the Sanger kit linked above.

No progress to report, still tinkering with seams and tidying up around the clear parts.

Cheers, D

1 Like

Still tinkering with cleaning up sprue gates and flash from parts, definitely NOT my favourite part of this build, especially the 32 wheels for the bomb trains @5mm diameter each :crazy_face:

I did manage to get some paint down on the tractors and bomb carts, so that feels like progress.

Cheers, D

12 Likes

Ah… yes… Because, Airfix :face_exhaling:

2 Likes

The train of bomb trolleys behind the tractors will look superb :smile:

1 Like

:roll_eyes::sunglasses:

12 Likes

Nicely done Damian :smile: