Short Stirling Nostalgia Build - Airfix 1/72 Original 1966 Boxing

Looking really good Damian, I remember this kit from my youth with fondness, so really enjoying your progress, :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:.

G, :beer:

1 Like

The little Tilly got some love over the weekend!

A very basic kit with about 25 parts and some decals.

The tractors looked on during the assembly . . .

Paint and detailing was quick, not much will be seen through the small window openings . . .

There are no clear parts provided, but a set of templates is on the instruction sheet to cut your own from clear sheet. I will use the clear front of a small blister pack to make the windscreen and leave the side windows open.

Cheers, D

8 Likes

Almost completed the Tilly, it’s been a fun little build!

Just a couple of spots of detail painting, a couple of decals, and a dirty wash to match the tractors, then we are done.

Cheers, D

7 Likes

Love the Tilly, very nice, D :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Nice trio, D! Lovely little Tilly! I have build one out of the 1/48 Tamiya kit. A complete different story … :wink:

UA

1 Like

Thanks for checking in guys!

I found the decals sheet hiding under my cutting mat tonight, so I threw some numbers on to liven it up a bit, and also painted the straps on the rolled up rear flap. Now it’s done!

Time to get back to the Stirling now I think :thinking: :grin:

Cheers, D

6 Likes

Almost 8 months later and this project is still giving me emotional anguish. Isn’t it strange how things can trigger you out of the blue? I’ve picked it up several times over the last month or so and the memories just come flooding back. I really need to turn it around and make those emotions work in my favor, I need to focus on how much positive my father gave me introducing me to this wonderful pastime.

Doing my usual browsing of Facebook BSS sites and stash clearances I came across this kit at a good price and I’m sure it will add a bit more business and interest to the overall scene.

More reference images always help generate enthusiasm as well.

IMG_2210
IMG_2209

Cheers, D

10 Likes

I’ve seen the bomber resupply set being sold separately at an eye-watering price over here. The refueller will add a nice touch to the diorama D! I’m in the midst of an Airfix Wellington Build and that’s the old moulds not the new. I remember how much I loved building these kits as a youngster, with no paint and tons of glue. Running around making airplane sounds after it was built. Then at some point meeting their demise during a fit of Guy Fawkes er fervor. Though that didn’t last for long as they started winding up hanging from my bedroom ceiling. Thanks for the memories D it’s been a very long modeling journey! I’m really looking forward to seeing how you get it all finished!

Chris

1 Like

Thanks for checking in here Chris, great to have you on board. Sounds like we were cast from the same mould, a lot of my early builds ended up demolished by the penny-bangers or the BB-gun. I think the first kit (of many) that I hung from the roof was an Airfix Defiant.

I really need to get back to this project, it means so much.

Cheers, D

1 Like

We are still here ready and waiting to catch any updates and support a terrific build :+1: