Short Stirling Nostalgia Build - Airfix 1/72 Original 1966 Boxing

About 45 years ago my father asked me to help him build a new model kit that he had just bought.

Up until then I had just sat and watched as he built and hand-painted his truck models, occasionally I was allowed to sort out the sprues or even trim some parts off. When he put this new kit on the bench and asked me to cut the seals and open it up, I was over the moon! This was the first kit that I actually played a major role in building, I was about 7 or 8 years old. I remember it was white with a red interior, the doors opened and the wheels turned and I was in heaven! Where it ended up I have no idea, lost over time as my parents moved house, divorced etc.
I have been looking around for this kit for years now (at the right price that is!), to have another go at it, and thanks to a Facebook Buy/Swap/Sell group, I found this about 12 months ago and stashed it away.
Most of the parts are off the sprues, but from what I can see it is complete, unstarted and undamaged.
I am aware of the inaccuracies and problems, I believe that it was originally a Renwall kit from the mid-60’s, but I am just so happy to have one in the stash now.

Part 2 of my nostalgia trip will be here on Aeroscale. The first kit that my father bought for me to go solo on was the Airfix Short Stirling in 1/72 scale. We went to see the original Midway movie when it was released in the mid-70’s, and that sparked an interest in WWII aircraft that hasn’t dulled to this day.
I managed to pick up a pre-loved unstarted kit in the original boxing from when I first built it, and I can’t wait to get started on both of these classics!

My father passed away on September 11, 2017. The cancer finally won the battle after many years of ups and downs. My plan is to make a start on building both of these kits on this September 11, and finish them 12 months later on the fifth anniversary of his passing.
The Mercedes Build Log thread is linked below.
Mercedes 300 SL Gullwing - Monogram 1/12 Kit - Automotive / Cars - KitMaker Network

This is me at about 2 years old with my dad and his dad.

Cheers, D

16 Likes

Oh yes, looking forward to this one Damian …

1 Like

I will be watching on both sites Damian. Great idea and great tribute to your Dad.

cheers
Michael

1 Like

I have a Minicraft B-17G in my stash to celebrate my dad. He was a ball turret gunner/strike photographer in the 8th Air Force flying out of Suffolk. He had to " hit the silk" twice but managed to complete his 25 missions intact. Ended up in Utah at what is now Hill AFB as an aerial gunner instructor.

5 Likes

I started tinkering with the 300SL a little while back, time to get moving on this one as well!

Reference images for inspiration.

SSRef003

The kit is older than me, first boxed in 1966 according to Scalemates (I’m a 1967 vintage).
Short Stirling, Airfix 682 (1966) (scalemates.com)

A while back I pulled out and sorted all of the parts and unfortunately found a few items AWOL, so I trawled the Facebook BSS sites and found a cheap 1978 boxing to use for spares. This will give me extra tractor and bomb carts to clutter up around the base with as well!

The original instructions are very yellowed and brittle, but mostly intact. The decals from the '66 box are missing and from the '78 boxing are suspect, so I might just use them to cut masks and paint the markings and insignia.

I wonder who “Packer #61” and if they are still alive :thinking:

“Have you got them all yet?” . . . . . Well, have you?? :heart_eyes:

Let’s get into the plastic, time for Step 1 :flushed:

Started with the main cockpit parts as directed, just a little flash to contend with here.

After some tidy up, the first sub assembly.

And the first casualty of the build. I’m not putting the figures in, because I can’t imagine that they had the full aircrew on board while they were bombing up, so the poor navigator had to be surgically removed from his seat :pensive:

More soon. Cheers, D

8 Likes

I too have some nostalgia builds in mind! I will follow this “Sterling effort.” :smile:

1 Like

Good to see you back at the bench, D :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I built this kit many years ago, as a kid. Wish they’d release a kit in 48th scale.

Cheers,

Chris

1 Like

Thanks for checking in Chris, much appreciated!

How brave are you??? :thinking: :flushed:
SHORT STIRLING 1 (sangereng.co.uk)
SHORT STIRLING 1 (sangereng.co.uk)

Cheers, D

2 Likes

The fuselage halves have quite a warp in them, but because they are so long, not much pressure was require to straighten them out. I clamped up the bomb bay inside the starboard half and after an overnight sleep it looks fine.

Taping the port half in place shows things lining up nicely.

Cheers, D

8 Likes

Looking forward to seeing the finished build.

Chris

Time to jump forward a step and start putting the flight surfaces together.

Doing some test fitting, the movable sections are held well out from the fixed sections which leaves quite a big gap. I’m inclined to remove the rod from the slot in the movable section and fix it in place to get a better fit.

Cheers, D

4 Likes

Ok, movable sections have been glued up, this is what they look like dry-fitted to the fixed sections.

You can see daylight through the gaps. Looking at some reference images it seems that the flaps were all in neutral position on the ground as well.

Decision made, rudder, elevators and ailerons will be modified and fixed in place in neutral position.

Cheers, D

7 Likes

Glad to see you adding more ingredients to the modeling stew . We are kindred spirits I know . I have tried to embrace issues in old kits as nostalgic but it never works - I have to try to improve them . You do too , don’t you ?
Is it a blessing or a curse? :joy:
Cheers- Richard

Wonderful to have you on board Richard!

Apparently so ! :thinking: In addition to the slight changes here, I’ve just started carving the molded-on details off the engine on the 300SL to replace them with copper wiring for the fuel injectors. :flushed:

A bit of both my friend, but as long as I’m enjoying the process, I don’t mind either way :sunglasses:

Cheers, D

1 Like

Great steady progress Damian. Like your thoughtfull approach to building this pretty ancient kit :smile:

1 Like

For a 55 year old kit, this is going together very nicely. No fit issues at all, really :flushed: :thinking: :rofl:

Cheers, D

9 Likes

Here we go. 218 pieces here, hoping to end up with 2 tractors, 8 bomb carts and 32 bombs and nothing left over :thinking:

Tractors are already started, going together beautifully and very nicely detailed. Looking forward to painting and weathering them!

I imagine this is what the armor guys face assembling track links :sunglasses:

Cheers, D

7 Likes

I went to the LHS to grab some paint for the tractors and bomb carts, and thought this might look good sitting beside the Stirling as well.

Cheers, D

7 Likes

Nice catch, D! I have the 1/48 Tamiya Tilly and it had already accompanied some RAF birds on models shows … :slightly_smiling_face:

Torsten

UA

1 Like