Somewhere on the Russian Steppe Diorama

Thanks guys .

Charles,
Yes the figure in the cupola comes in the kit. I changed the earphone set out for the commander with a resin/ photo etch set from Royal Models 217 earphone set.

Tamiya have excelled with the detail and faces with the latest range of figures. The guy in the machine gun hatch is from the latest Wehrmacht German tank crew set.

All the figures in the tank crew set are nicely detailed and have been very handy for the diorama. :ok_hand:

1 Like

That’s a superb 38T Michael, to my tired eyes virtually faultless – if I was being picky (who, moi?) the aerial looks like bare plastic…? Whatever that’s an awesome standard of everything. But I continue to lament this project isn’t in the Diorama forum – looking at who’s posted Likes & how many views you’ve got so far, I think you’d get five times as much exposure & response over there. Robin could easily move it if you asked him nicely. A lot of the Dio guys don’t seem to come here as frequently (I’m one of them) as the statistics indicate, even when your title has “Diorama” in the title! And I know for sure a lot of them would appreciate and benefit from your figure-painting chops, again I’m one of them. :tumbler_glass:

1 Like

Thanks Tim,

Yes I’ll contact Robin and move the thread to Diorama’s.

Awesome, the Diorama police always get their man! :tumbler_glass:

2 Likes

Good Gods! That’s epic! I’m afraid I’d go crazy, especially with that many figures. After painting a half-dozen heads, I have to move on, else suffer a nervous breakdown. I tip my hat to you sir.
And the work looks great! I love the dusty look on the 38(t)s.

Where will you be able to store it, once you’re finished? (That’s why I now limit all of my dioramas to 30cm (normal shelf depth.)

1 Like

Thanks Bravo36.

Back onto the figures tonight. Trying to focus all the attention on doing 1 figure at a time to give a variation in appearance.

Hopefully will try and fit the dio on one of the shelves in in the wall unit.

Enough space for 2 large dioramas :ok_hand: :grinning:

Beautiful builds Michael , the dusting is perfect !!

1 Like

Thank you Cheyenne.

Hello Again and Happy New Year to all.

Starting 2022 with a progress update on the Tamiya and Hobbyboss 38T’s which are awaiting the tow cables and then they will be placed aside ready for the diorama base.
The tanks have a combination of Mig’s weathering pigments for the lower hull and pastels for the upper Hull.
The figures are a combination of Tamiya, Alpine and Tank crew figures. Painted in acrylics with oils for the faces and hands.

12 Likes

I was wondering Michael! So after a 9 month confinement you’ve produced…quads! Beautifully done (and not a pointer in sight) sometime hopefully we can see them in daylight too? I’m fascinated to know what the dio base is going to look like, got any teasers? :tumbler_glass:

1 Like

Thanks Tim,

With family moving in the man cave will be changed back into a bedroom with ensuite.
The new man cave is going to decide how big the diorama will be and it’s got to be big enough to cater for this dio, 1/35th Italerie schnellboot along with the 1/32 scale B17 Memphis Belle and future diorama’s.

Trying to get a builder to come out to quote an extension. With covid and problems with material supply it’s been a slog to get something started.

The room will be bigger, but bear in mind your dio is way bigger than mine. :grinning:

Michael :beers:

1 Like

That sounds encouraging despite the difficulties – man cavern more like! Well size isn’t everything…no I already made that ancient joke elsewhere yesterday…but with 60+ figures this one’s sure going to need some lebensraum :tumbler_glass:

1 Like

I was hoping to see more of this one, seeing as it is my favorite type of diorama: big, lots of figures added, and multiple versions of the same vehicle, instead of all kinds of different vehicles…
And these four tanks are fantastic!!

1 Like

…a masterpiece

1 Like

Absolutely beautiful, impeccable work everywhere you look.

1 Like

What incredibly nice tanks. I’m really impressed

1 Like

Thanks guys.

Your words are appreciated.

Michael

Love it Mike,gonna be a great scene

1 Like

How do the Tamiya and the hobby boss T 38’s compare to each other?

TopSmith,
The Tamiya 38T is pretty well detailed and will fall together in a week end build.

Hobbyboss 38T is number 1 with detail, it is a better kit and ex Tristar molds and will take awhile to build.
Hobbyboss have individual track and is a little more tedious to put together.
There is more detail with the Hobbyboss track than Tamiya.

The kits shown above from Hobbyboss all come with interiors and engines which are very delicate in detail and photoetch is provided for the interior.

Hobbyboss sell the kit with and without the interiors.

I hope this helps.

Michael