Source for white metal solder and acid flux

All,

I want to try one of the Model Factory Hiro kits and I’m in need of low temp solder and flux appropriate for white metal parts. Any sources would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lou

1 Like

Hi Lou - I have built two MFH kits and found no need to solder - 5 minute epoxy worked fine .
If you feel that soldering is needed you might try
Micro Mark . It would seem that resistance soldering
would be best. I bought the economy resistance soldering unit from Micro Mark . It only has two settings for current. I think that the more expensive variable current units would work better in your situation. I use Tix solder for model work in brass on the low setting on the resistance unit and it works fine - I don’t know how it will perform on the very soft white metal used by MFH . Perhaps you have more experience than I . I think I saved some of the sprue from one of my MFH kits . If you want I can experiment with soldering it with resistance
unit / Tix.
LMK
Cheers
Richard

Richard,

Thank you for the reply. This would be my first MFH kit, so I’m always looking for info.

I see that a lot of builders are using CA to build; 5 minute epoxy also seems like a good choice for the bigger heavier parts. I have a variable power resistance soldering unit, but truthfully I find it harder to use than a standard variable temp iron. I appreciate the offer to experiment with the sprues, but no need on my behalf; however, if you do, I would definitely be interested to hear how it works. There’s a YouTuber, Motorsport In Scale, who just posted a pretty good video on soldering white metal, that’s what prompted my question.

I’m also a model railroader, so I have experience soldering electronics, but this would be my first try at one of these white metal kits. I’m a big sports car racing fan, thus my interest in MFH. I’ll have to start with a 1:24 scale kit, the bigger ones are not in the current budget :slight_smile:

Which kits have you built?

Regards,
Lou

Richard,

I just found your 1/12 Alfetta build blog, wow, very impressive sir.

Lou

Hi Lou - As you see I have built the Alfetta - my first MFH kit . I also built the BSA Blue Star . British motorcycles are of great interest to me - currently have 3 Nortons.

In the stash I have the 1/12 Barchetta and two more 1/9 bikes - HRD Vincent and Brough SS 100.
I know you will find the MFH kits challenging and rewarding - I have been building models since I was 5 years old ( now 70 ) and I can say unequivocally that the MFH kits were right at the top of my experience.
I would recommend buying directly from MFH site as being the most economical. I can’t say for the 1/24 kits but for some reason every kit I have bought directly has been further discounted than the listed price. I also recommend acting quickly if you know what you want as they seem to sell out quickly. They periodically reissue some kits but you never know when .
I hope you will post your work.
Cheers- RT

Richard,

Very impressive build; love the jig you made as well. I have a fair number of plastic kits under my belt, but the MFH would be my most challenging. I’m not getting any younger (62), so I figure I deserve to treat myself!

Thanks for the advice on purchasing direct from MFH. The video on their shop and showroom is really interesting.

Regards,
Lou

Richard,

Thanks for the tip on ordering directly from MFH. I ordered their 1/20 Ferrari 312B2 Ver. A kits and it arrived today. Not only did it arrive much faster than I thought it would considering it came from Japan, but it included a thank you note from Kyoto Hiro and a small piece of origami. How cool is that!

Lou

1 Like

Good deal Lou - I hope your will post your build .
I am impressed with their shipping times as well- my last purchase was paid via PayPal and in my hands 3 days later .
Enjoy- RT

Will be great to see another MFH builder on the site. I always find patience and inventive range of swear words helps immeasurably with these kits. I built the 1/12 312 F1 kit - it was a interesting build.

cheers
Michael

Michael,

Thanks, I’m really looking forward to the challenge of this build.

Lou