Special Ops in Afghanistan Question

Hi Richard!

Yea, Platoon Confidence Training - PCT. I worked there as the Committee Chief on the Land Nav. / Mountaineering committee for almost three years over '84 to '86.

That course, for as short as it was, was like drinking from a fire hose! Non-stop from the time the students got off their trucks until they got back on 'em for the ride back home…

Pretty tight for the cadre, too. We worked on a three-week cycle, one full class every three weeks including just over a week cycle break to prep for the next one. We did that all year long with just two, two-week block leaves - Christmas and summer - to break it all up.

Hmmm… August '87… About a year after I left, but the cadre 1SG might have still been MSG Ruffin and the OPS SGT might have still been SFC Sean Kelly? Medic might have still been SSG Torres? Land Nav / Mountaineering Chief Might have been SSG Bernard? Hmmm… Long time ago, though. Memory’s getting dim… LOL!

Were you In Erlangen?

Yeah PCT was a small unit course for Mech Inf guys in Germany. Would you say it was a mini-Ranger course? Felt like it to me. I was in awesome shape and that course kicked my ass big time!
The only name I remember, my memory is getting bad too- I’m 54- is Captain Meyer, not sure of the spelling but his name is on the certificate we got at the end. It’s buried in one of my folders of paper work.
Land nav was a bitch - up and down those mountains ! I recall there being 3 Rottweilers in camp and we went on a few forced marches with heavy ass rucks lol and they led the way. I remember repelling down a cliff lol, sawdust pit lol, and the E&E phase on the last day. Also the cool chinook ride on an exercise, The coldest night ( I think it was August 15th or so) of my life was on top of hill 1129 (??) or something like that because it rained for days nonstop.
One other thing I think I remember was one of the instructors was a Ranger from I think the 1st Bat, who was a “Grenada Boy” I’m told. I think he was involved in the crash of the Blackhawks. He was extremely quiet. I don’t think he was qualified SF . Where all the cadre SF qualified? There was chatter about some of them not being qualified and still wearing the Green Beret, and the qualified guys not bring too happy about it, not sure…
Best time of my life.
Dan- yes I was in Erlangen!

Mike
I got the year wrong. I have the certificate in my hand. It’s dated 15 August 1986. But I got Captain Meyers name correct.

Mario -my apologies for going off course with your topic! Got carried away!

Rich

Me too-1-35AR

Yes remember them, and 2/81AR and 3/34AR on post. Wasn’t there an MLRS battery too? 14th artillery maybe? Can’t remember lol

Well I can’t say about ‘03, but in ‘04/‘05 a buddy I was in LRS with volunteered to augment 19th Group with their rotation to Afghanistan. He sent all his former buddies a few photos to show his adventures including these with NTV Landrovers that they were using on ops. I zapped out the faces back then before I put them on a photo hosting site. My old buddy Jojo is the one with the dark beard on the left.

It’s been almost 17 years, so I figure it’s safe to post them now.

2 Likes

Yes, I think the 194th?

Yeah that’s who it was

Oh, yea, PCT went through several evolutions during its existence.

It was originally started (long, long before I got there) as a sort of large scale team-building exercise and most of the training fell into a sort of dismounted patrolling-adventure thing. At one time it had a lot more of the mountaineering content along with river-rafting (small boat ops), dealing with water and other terrain obstacles. Originally, attendance was limited to light infantry platoons that, in theory, already knew most of the combat and recon patrol skills. They were sent to PCT to add on the extra training for river crossings, rappelling, small boat ops, etc. Originally, the cadre was composed of a dedicated SF ODA from 1-10 SFG(A), but that way back in its misty history. Still, the cadre organization and the instructional breakdown reflected that original task organization even to the end.

By the time I got there, it had evolved into what you did, and, yes, that was a deliberate Ranger school-like course. By that time, attendance was opened to any platoon-SIZED unit from any parent unit, not just infantry. In fact, the majority of our student platoons were composite platoons put-together by non-infantry units, like engineers, etc. For this reason, the curriculum evolved into about 70-30 dismounted patrolling and land nav. The patrolling exercises built upon themselves to culminate in a loose company-sized exercise at the very end.

PCT ran out of Camp Rudder which was a satellite of Flint Kaserne, Bad Toelz. It’s parent HQ was ARSOF-E (Army Special Operations Forces-Europe) which was a mostly a planning and operational command based at Bad Toelz, but which was separate from 1-10 SFG(A). This is important because it explains how the cadre was manned during the period that you went through.

At that time, PCT was one of a couple of US Army Europe assignments that were pretty much controlled by the Ranger Regiment “mafia.” The nexus was ARSOF-E which not only had responsibility for SF missions, but also for Ranger battalion missions in the theater. Basically, all of the cadre at PCT were guys from one of the Ranger-Bats doing an OCUNUS “career-progression tour.” The main exceptions were the two cadre medics which were always SF qualified medics. During my time, I was one of only two other SF qualified cadre members (not including the medics and the CO and XO). The CO and XO were also always SF qualified officers, since their assignments checked company command assignments for fast movers. (Generally, SF captains are detachment commanders and don’t get a company command until they are promoted to major. An O-3 captain’s company command assignment was a rare thing in SF that could give an officer an advantage over his peers.)

I got there because when I was doing my “short tour” in Berlin, my platoon sergeant was an SFC from 1st Ranger Bn. At the time, I was not only SF qualified, but had also graduated from Ranger school. (Interestingly enough, one of the other PSG’s in one of the line companies was one of my Ranger school instructors, and he and my PSG had been PSGs in the same company in 1st-Bat.) Because I had attended DLI for German, I was also sent to the German ranger course while I was in Berlin.

When I reclassified from 11B to 18B, regulations required that I be immediately reassigned to a MTO&E SF position, i.e. to Bad Toelz since that was pretty much where all the assignments were (except for some few others that were filled with long-range forecast by DA). My scout platoon sergeant spun up the EUCOM Ranger Mafia and called ahead to the 1SG at PCT, 1SG Purdy, and told him to tell the ARSOFE S-1 to send me to him out at Camp Rudder. By then, I just wanted out of Belin and away from the Big Army, so I was happy to do anything if it got me that…

So, I got assigned to PCT not because I was SF qualified, but rather because I was Ranger qualified and my PSG wanted to “keep me in the family.” LOL! It all worked out for the best, though, and the guys I worked with out at PCT were among the very best.

As regards to the beret thing, since ARSOF-E was an SF unit, all the personnel assigned to it wore green berets with the green 10th Group flash with the stripe of German national colors. The guys who were ACTUALLY MOST upset about this were the Ranger bat-boys who would have rather worn their black berets. As for the SF qualified guys in ARSOF-E and 1st BN, 10th Group, I doubt that any of them gave the PCT cadre a second thought.

And, oh yea, CPT Meyer was the XO when I left, so moving up to CO makes sense for him. I missed your class by a couple of months, since I PCS’ed from Bad Toelz in May, '86.

Wow that’s incredible lol. I see what you’re saying about the beret thing yes, and I always wondered why those colors were on the flash- I see now. I remember 1SG Purdy too, or at least his name. Thank you for the background story about this. I still look back at those first two years of mine as the best of my career.

2 Likes

Purdy was a Ranger battalion legend… He had originally been in the Canadian army where he was a tanker, but he moved to the US, became a naturalized citizen and joined the US Army.

There was a rumor that he had once seriously recommended to his battalion commander that all the Rangers in the unit should be shot in the leg with a .22 just so they would know what it felt like to be gunshot. Another story was about a time that he broke his leg on a parachute jump, but since it was during a tactical training exercise, rather than break a Chem Light to signal the medics, he maintained noise and light discipline by dragging himself to his platoon’s rendezvous point on the DZ. I don’t know if any of those were true, but there were lots of other crazy stories like that about him, too. I do know that he was either admired with almost worship-like ardor or feared like the devil… LOL! We all loved him.

I know one thing for sure, though, he did not like cold weather. Cold was like his Kryptonite. Even though it wasn’t really necessary (being the cadre 1SG), he would still almost always join one of the platoons during the FTX phase and stay in the field for the entire duration, hopping from one platoon to another.

I have memories of him in an patrol bases one winter. The snow was knee deep, and it was cold as witches’ … well. I was the lane walker for that platoon, so I was up up and going (the rule was to always be the first ready to go and last to stand down), and there was Purdy still in his fart sack. He heard me up and moving, though, and soon I could hear this low, raspy whisper…, “Buuuud… Piiissst… Hey, buud… Is that coffee ready?”

He was hard as woodpecker lips, though. One of those rare individuals who truly led by example. He never expected anything from anyone that he wasn’t willing and able to give from himself.

HA! Enough with the war stories! LOL!

Apologies to @Maki (Mario) for dragging his topic so far off course!

No problems for going off topic. I’m sure most of us find the stories interesting as well.

In the meantime, I chopped up the original SAW from the figure’s hands and am replacing it. Not sure with what though… :blush:

Mario

1 Like

Did you glue on the figure’s ammo pouches yet, Mario? The ammo pouches should dictate what weapon is carried.

I stand corrected on the GMV…looks like it was used during the timeframe you mentioned. :grin:

Pete, the ammo pouches are all sculpted and cast together with the main figure parts.

The SAW figure has two large M249 ammo pouches, but the pouches don’t tell me which M249 version the figure is carrying, right?

Mario

Mario,
You’re right - SAW pouches are SAW pouches, they’re not specific to a version of the weapon appearance might vary slightly depending on who manufactured them but it’s only a cosmetic thing…

If you want, Mario, you can replace the SAW with the MK46 for the SOFs, and that will really advance your figures in terms of weapons technology and date.

I’m pretty sure Mk46 was not in use in 2001-2002.

Mario

We Bravos didn’t even get sent to the intro course for it at Camp Williams until mid 2003.

Understand…but is there any gear on the figure or GMW that dates it to 2001-2002 besides the box title?