Spitfire!

Group Build Title: Spitfire!

Group Build Leader(s): @michaelsatin

Group Build Description: A campaign for the Supermarine Spitfire and Seafire

Event Details: The Supermarine Spitfire is one of the (some would say THE) finest air to air fighters ever built. It has captured peoples’ imagination since its first flight in 1936. The sight and sound of a Spit never fails to increase one’s heartbeat, especially if it’s right behind you! As such, it has been a hugely popular subject for modelers since it first hit the sky. Pretty much every manufacturer of model airplanes has had a Spitfire in their line-up at one time or another, and I suspect that a pretty large majority of modelers have at least one in the stash. So how about a campaign that honors Mitchell’s masterpiece. Any Spitfire or Seafire, any scale, any country, any era.
[(Remember to click “Going” if you want to join the build!)

Completion Award: Anyone interested in creating a badge, let us know!

A Note about Awards: The following text is a reminder that in order for people participating and finishing their projects to receive a badge on their forum profile, they will need to provide their account username to the group build leader by the completion date of the build. The leader will then provide this list to the site admin who will bulk award the badges to those users who have finished the group build. If you don’t provide your username or finish the project on the timetable the leader has setup you will not be able to receive an award.

1 Like

I will give it a bash… There is something about a Spitfire’s sound …

1 Like

I’m in!
Just got to decide which.

1 Like

Spitfire LOW pass

4 Likes

I’ll join, just the difficult task of choosing which variant…

That’s the trick, isn’t it!

Michael :stuck_out_tongue:

Good chance I’ll be in! Would do eduards spitfire Mk VIII as this bird

From RCAF 417 squadron in Italy

It has an interesting scheme. ETO ocean grey and dark green uppers with Mediterranean lowers in Azure, with a red spinner

2 Likes

OK, how seriously must I take this? I have a real Spitfire Mk IX from Italeri and a Spitfire funny from Tiger. I’d like to try the funny, will it get me booted from the build? :question: :wave:

2 Likes

A good question. I was looking at the Revell Iron Maiden Spitfire last night. I did put it in the maybe list for the build. My Sis bought me that for Christmas a couple of years ago and I really should build it!

1 Like

I have the Kotare spit, waiting for a few extras to arrive… can I wait that long? Hmmmm LOL

1 Like

I have the 1:24 Airfix Spit I might chime in…

I’m thinking of a 1/32 Revell Mk IXc … it might not be super detailed, but its just under 30 quid, …

I don’t see either “nothing funny” nor “no WIFs” in the rules, so go for them! Besides, if your sister gave it to you, you’d better get going on it.

I’m getting a bonus from SWMBO and am planning on getting the big Airfix Spit myself, so I have a feeling that it will be my entry.

And nothing wrong with that Revell kit, so bring it along!

1 Like

Thanks! I suppose it does represent the cultural significance of the Spitfire. Should be a fun build.

NETFLIX (Canada) has a Spitfire documentary currently airing. History, footage and interviews with surviving men, and women, who flew Spits. On my “to watch” list.

An old friend of my wife’s family flew Spitfires in the War. I once asked him which Mk he prefered. Before I could finish the question he said, “Mk V’s, hands down.”

2 Likes

There is a series called Inside the Spitfire Factory on Channel 4. Very nice and inspiring…

Sure wish some of these very interesting sounding shows were available in the States. Unfortunately, a sense of history is not strong here.

1 Like

I downloaded the series somewhere at one point…

Last year, I purchased a 1/32 Revel Germany Spitfire Mk something or other that would work for this campaign.

If card models qualify and my fancy printer decides to work, there are at least a dozen 1/33 Spitfire models available to me. That would be kinda fun because I have never built a card model Spitfire.

2 Likes

Really going for it with these card models. I’d say, why not? Give it a whirl.