Spitfire!

Well, we’re up to 6 “going” and 4 “interested”. I think I’m good to go, but how about anyone else?

Michael :stuck_out_tongue:

I switched from Interested to going. Does that help? :wave:

Since they relaxed the rules a bit concerning numbers, 7 is fine for a campaign… Just need to wait for the start date now :+1:

Couldn’t hurt, thanks!

Yeah, I know. I just want to be sure there are enough to make it interesting. But thanks!

Nearly 2 months left yet … And don’t forget, once it starts, others will always join in… They won’t be able to resist once they see Spits being built …

2 Likes

There ya go!

Speaking of which, I decided to pass on the 1/24 Mk.IX. So I’ll probably be doing the 1/32 Revell Mk.IIa. I’ve got the Barracuda wing correction and am planning on doing Bill Dunn’s Eagle Squadron Spit to match the Great Wall Flying Tiger I’m working on.

1 Like

Still not decided on what to do… I like the look of the Revell 1/32 ones as you seem to get a big kit but wallet friendly… I think I saw a Mk IX they do ?mine would OOB though…

They do indeed do a Mk.IX:

Revell 1/32 Spitfire Mk.IXc

MIchael :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

That’s the badboy… I’ve seen it for between 34 and 39 quid which seems ok to me for that size of kit

Michael speaking of the MK IX model. what are the differences between them? i have an eduard IX late kit and a IX aces decal sheet of A, B and C model craft. much difference externally?

Joe

Well, it depends. A late Mk.IX would have an extra crank in the elevators; a larger, pointed rudder; and different fairings over the guns in the wing. That said, and I may be wrong here, but I think the Eduard IXc late has parts for earlier versions as well (except for the large wing bulges.) It all depends on which aircraft you want to do.

Spitfires are refined art. I think some people have degrees in them! If so, I’m probably only an undergraduate. But I hope this helps some.

yes i think there are extra part in it, Eduard is known for that although i do not remember seeing a different rudder, just not sure what parts are for which. i admittedly do not know much about the spit since it was never a favorite of mine. for example i do not know what you mean by ’ A late Mk.IX would have an extra crank in the elevators’ i know what elevators are of course but not a crank unless your talking about my wife in the early morning-lol. is a late Mk IX a C model?
they all seem to have the long wing guns.

Joe

Hey Joe, here’s what I’m talking about:

Spit elevators

The Mark IX had both styles at one time or another, style 1 early and style 2 late. And I believe the kit you have is a IXc, the IXe had a different gun set up in the wing.

1 Like

I’m not sure about that particular kit, but the C wing had 4 .303 Browning’s in the outboard gun ports and 20mm cannon inboard. There was provision to mount 4 cannon but it was rare. Sometimes it could be seen on VC’s operating in the Med, but I’ve not seen a IXC with that setup. Would be interesting to see if anyone has come across some photos.
The E wing dispensed with the .303’s altogether and mounted a Browing .50 next to each cannon.
And just to confuse matters, there’s also the Mk.XVIE. Essentially a IXE with a Packard Merlin. Later versions of the XVI had a cut down rear fuselage and bubble canopy. I think all had clipped wings too.

Hope it helps.

The plastic Spitfire in my stockpile is Revell 03986. In the box, the model looks very good and pleasantly complicated. According to reviews I read, it is fairly accurate. Given my lack of experience with plastic planes, low skill level in general, cost of the model, and cost of upgrades, I would build this out of the box using kit decals and hope for the best.

Most card models in my collection were built between 2000 and 2005. I have not completed a card model since 2016. If the Mirage III.C for the Israeli campaign goes well, I might be up for another. There are two vacuformed Spitfire canopies in my stockpile. Spitfire canopies changed over time so I would need to carefully match the canopy to the correct version.

Dunno. It will be fun either way. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi stephen. so the drawing of the C wing you show has two out board ports you say are the .303 guns, two on each side for a total of four, and the long barrel inboard is a cannon. What is the shorter barrel next to the cannon? i need to pull my kit out and compare it. the kit i have is a weekend version so there is limited info on parts.

Joe

1 Like

I see the difference in elevator shape, thanks michael.

The shorter bit next to the cannon barrel is a cover/fairing. The wing was configured so that It was possible to install another 20mm there, but they almost never did.

1 Like

That’s the covered over port for the extra cannon as Michael says. Never seen a quad fit on a IX, but have heard about some VIII’s in the Far East carrying them for strafing ground targets.